What's new

Large Scale PvP Classes and You

Celestial cloth will give more mpen, crit, and the full cloth bonus reduces debuff durations by 30%. I agree cloth is generally safer for raids. I disagree that reaching soft cap for defense is easy, as you will need +2000 defense over cap just to deal with puncture. However, puncture isn't a big threat in large scale PvP which is the topic of this thread. I'm just discussing that in many scenarios going plate can still be viable but a mage should aim for a good cloth set by end game.
Right, but my point is in order to make the plate set viable you still need to invest a hell of alot more than just starting off with a cloth set. Its throwing away money for no reason when you can use that same money to build up your physical defenses for half the cost.

What youre explaining also requires you to be in specific scenarios, such as having the witchcraft buff on you at all times and having shrug activated. What happens when neither of those things are available? You drop right back down to terrible magic defence and get blendered.

Right, but my point is in order to make the plate set viable you still need to invest a hell of alot more than just starting off with a cloth set. Its throwing away money for no reason when you can use that same money to build up your physical defenses for half the cost.

What youre explaining also requires you to be in specific scenarios, such as having the witchcraft buff on you at all times and having shrug activated. What happens when neither of those things are available? You drop right back down to terrible magic defence and get blendered.

The viability of the plate set relies mainly on having auramancy and then can be made better with witch craft and delph cloak. And I agree the setup cost will require a mystic ward that may end up being useless in the future. I more or less agree with your points so I won't derail the discussion further :)

Side note, that discussion didn't quite derail things - learned a lot from it that I didn't know before. Thanks!

Im experimenting with doomlord. It's the direct physical attack opposite of Skullknight. So far its working great, but still needs some optimization.

Im debating if, for now i want to go 5 piece Obsidian leather (already have celestial T2). But also opt in for either flame belt and wrists. or test how much wave (intel) leather would allow how deep i could go into Occultism. Would be nice to get some extra damage to spec into crows or ghoul, DoT's are the bane of healers as it forces them to over heal.

Im experimenting with doomlord. It's the direct physical attack opposite of Skullknight. So far its working great, but still needs some optimization.

Im debating if, for now i want to go 5 piece Obsidian leather (already have celestial T2). But also opt in for either flame belt and wrists. or test how much wave (intel) leather would allow how deep i could go into Occultism. Would be nice to get some extra damage to spec into crows or ghoul, DoT's are the bane of healers as it forces them to over heal.
Abolisher is the physical attack opposite of skullknight

Abolisher is the physical attack opposite of skullknight
Yet Abolisher has zero CC and doesnt do much in the way of control ?

Outside of 1v1 and DR farming Abolisher is a dead class. Doomlord is the physical CC tank that can actually do damage, unlike skullknight who stands still after a rotation.

Yet Abolisher has zero CC and doesnt do much in the way of control ?

Outside of 1v1 and DR farming Abolisher is a dead class. Doomlord is the physical CC tank that can actually do damage, unlike skullknight who stands still after a rotation.
If youre standing still after a rotation as a sk, youre playing sk wrong. I already highlighted on what was wrong with abolisher in this thread.

Are you saying doomlord is good for largescale?

If youre standing still after a rotation as a sk, youre playing sk wrong. I already highlighted on what was wrong with abolisher in this thread.

Are you saying doomlord is good for largescale?
Doomlord is one of the best mid/end game tanks in the game. It's just a matter of playing/researching. After SK the Doomlord is the next best.

it uses pretty much the same AoE rotation as SK, but it also focuses on single target enemy tank stopping while being mobile enough to BeL the back row and retreat.

The only down side is it not having access to the same magic def as SK, but thats why speccing into lute, leather and Mystic ward line pays off. It's arguably on par if played correctly.

By stand still i mean, waiting on rotation and being active again.

Edit: It also works well with an SK and hellspear rotation and synergy . Neither is really a replacement, they work best as a team. I have played both for a long time, but i prefer Doomlord, because its more flexible and can actually fight 1v1/2/3/4 while having damage. SK's are famous for being attackless.

Last edited:
Doomlord is one of the best mid/end game tanks in the game. It's just a matter of playing/researching. After SK the Doomlord is the next best.

it uses pretty much the same AoE rotation as SK, but it also focuses on single target enemy tank stopping while being mobile enough to BeL the back row and retreat.

The only down side is it not having access to the same magic def as SK, but thats why speccing into lute, leather and Mystic ward line pays off. It's arguably on par if played correctly.

By stand still i mean, waiting on rotation and being active again.

Edit: It also works well with an SK and hellspear rotation and synergy . Neither is really a replacement, they work best as a team. I have played both for a long time, but i prefer Doomlord, because its more flexible and can actually fight 1v1/2/3/4 while having damage. SK's are famous for being attackless.

Well, because this discussion is about large scale, and not the 1v1s/2/3/4 you are describing, I will respond in a large scale scenario.

This class isnt viable simply because of not having Auramancy. Having the magic defense reduction is only a plus, you spec into auramancy because of the cc breaks and cc negates. Liberation and Shrug it off are both 100% needed if you plan to have any kind of effectiveness.

An sks job has nothing to do with damage, your job is simply to cc and soak damage. To get the maximum use out of your occultism spells, such as summon wraith, you need to be immune to types of cc to get full channels off.

There's a reason why mid/end game people ignore abolishers in raids because they do nothing, which is exactly what would happen with a doomlord, except worse. You dont have access to 3.0 crit damage, and you have no mobility. If i saw you in a raid I would just walk away because you cant really catch anyone.

This is coming from the same guy who says urgency is only useful if you take battle rage. I don't think he's ever done PvP.

That's not the only purpose obviously, as mentioned before revival on the battlefield can save tons of time and often be the deciding factor between a wipe and victory. Using the auroria heartbound hood you have 2.5 cast time on revive and increasing cast time can take this down to an instant cast if done properly.
How is it properly done? :)

Back