What's new

Mob Grinding Build Help

nygma31

Hey I am a returning player looking to make gold through larceny but I can't remember anything about this game and I have no idea what I'm doing. I tried rolling an executioner before I left and currently have unique obsidian leather gear, a cursed celestial katanna and a unique sword. I want to make good use of the free obsidian gear in the returning player pack and make a build that will let me grind a load of mobs and make a bunch of gold to put back into upgrading gear. If someone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate the help extremely. Thanks in advance !

One of the best builds in the game for farming is going to be a mage class like revenant but melee can work okayish but you'll need meditate for mana regen

I prefer archery for farming. Right now I am Primeval and I farm mobs for my income, reached 230k larceny after around 3 months playtime.

There are pros and cons, I'm sure many would disagree with me in favor of mages, and they probably have a lot of good reasons, but this build works best for me, and I'll lay out my case.

You spend a lot of time running between mobs when you are farming. Primeval has more naturally built movespeed than mages, with archery passive, guild cloak, gale leather etc all geared towards movespeed. With lower quality gear, DPS is important because you spend more time killing mobs, so mage works well due to the increase in DPS from hitting multiple mobs with AOE.

Once you get good gear, you can kill most basic mobs in about 1 second more than it would have taken you to tag them with a mage to pull them in anyways.

Another reason is that you have to keep tabs on how many mobs you pull with a mage, because after 7 or 8, I can't remember which, they get a buff that reduces damage by 90%. You also have to deal with CC, if you pull mobs in that stun you, you may be getting beat to death by 8 mobs instead of looting coin purses. It requires paying more attention, and I like to be able to afk farm while I listen to podcasts etc.

I'd say in an average hour I pull in 500 purses and crates farming whalesong with a single target primeval build. A good hour may see 600 total, a bad hour may be more around 460. I'm sure there are people who pull more, and they may know better farm spots, strategies, etc than me, but I highly doubt any mages are wildly outperforming a 500 purse average per hour in whalesong, not enough to completely discount the primeval option.

To piggy back on some of these thoughts, don't discount the melee builds in regards to farming. I main Abolisher but I switch up to duel wield Blighter with Frenzy on my hot bar and Quake-Triple Strike.

Most folk will tell you stay as far away from Frenzy in 90% of all scenarios however it is legit beast mode when grinding. Depending on your AR you will have enough tools in your kit as a blighter (thanks to the defense tree) to offset the physical damage debuff you get during the Frenzy duration. With the 50% reduced mana costs to all abilities while it is on, I find that I am the energizer bunny regarding aoe pulls, Triple striking them all down fast, then moving on to the next group while maintaining a stellar uptime.

Now I am not going to say it is on par with AOE mage or archery grinding; there really isn't any comparison there. But if you are like me and simply don't play ranged classes out of principal, you do have the option to still be a viable grinder with a solid battlerage build.

I can get a couple thundered coinpurses in an hour at whalesong; and while I don't get 400-600/hr I can certainly am not strapped for cash at the rate I am getting it, and for me it is a much more enjoyable play style.

Back