What's new

Buff Sport Fishing? [Proposed Solution]

Should the value of fish packs be increased to make sport fishing a viable source of income?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm not being dismisive. I'm saying that coin purses are easier to bot and give more gold then fishing therefore they're going to be botted over fishing. Again my point isn't "don't buff fishing" I'd love to see a buff for fishing. But what no-one understands here is that you have to convince the dev team that it needs a buff and that you can find a way to buff it. You can't just keep attacking me personally and expect the devs to somehow accept your points. If your only point is "I think a full load of fish should take the same amount of time and bring in more gold than a full freighter of Ahnimar packs turned in to Gweonid, since the investment is similar and the risk is higher." Then this conversation is worthless because its not solving the fundamental problem the devs have. The burden of proof is on you not the devs because they see fishing as being in an okay spot.

I mean, there's already proof that just a simple gold buff to it would be a way to buff it. In all of this, we're trying to fix a side of an argument I personally believe all of us have yet to see: how to make fishing profitable in a way that bots wouldn't make a killing off of it. With the argument "bots will do it if we make it too profitable", that would imply they might as well nerf Larceny and trade runs to a point where it's not worth doing for any parties involved, thus making it incredibly easy for them to track down bots...because only bots and stupid people would be left to resort to doing those options to reintroduce gold to the market. Yet I only see sparse amounts of bots doing Larceny (namely teleport hacking), and no more than 2 people running freighters together for trade runs instead of the 16+ hauler trains we all remember seeing on Live. What I have yet to see is any proof of a bot fishing to justify the fears brought up regarding a fishing buff in the first place. We're trying to come up with a solution to a problem I don't believe I've ever seen anyone experience en masse in the same vein that Christians tell atheists to try and prove God doesn't exist.

If it becomes even remotely more profitable than it is now to do, more boats will be out on the ocean. More boats fishing means more targets to steal from, meaning more people watching the waters. More people watching the waters, the less likely these magical fishing bots will make it back to harbor unscathed. The system honestly sounds like it would fix itself.

I'm not being dismisive. I'm saying that coin purses are easier to bot and give more gold then fishing therefore they're going to be botted over fishing. Again my point isn't "don't buff fishing" I'd love to see a buff for fishing. But what no-one understands here is that you have to convince the dev team that it needs a buff and that you can find a way to buff it. You can't just keep attacking me personally and expect the devs to somehow accept your points. If your only point is "I think a full load of fish should take the same amount of time and bring in more gold than a full freighter of Ahnimar packs turned in to Gweonid, since the investment is similar and the risk is higher." Then this conversation is worthless because its not solving the fundamental problem the devs have. The burden of proof is on you not the devs because they see fishing as being in an okay spot.
I edited the original post in this thread with a detailed solution.

If you're so worried about bots in general, increase the proficiency requirement for sport fishing on the ocean to like 70k-90k
Yes, that's quite a high number, but if u gonna make it too low, will serve no purpose.
The biggest problem with fishing is actually no school of fish themselves. A lot of times u spend 1hr wondering around the ocean finding absolutely nothing unless u go really far from the shores and when u finally found it - catch 4-5 fish and someone comes and kills u for ur measly 60g, which u spend well lets see now 1h30mins to get.... And u needed to chum the spot, have a fishing boat, have fishing rod... All these investments at this point makes fishing just a hobby or way to burn time, get some nice fish looking fish trophies, cause u're not making profit out it.

Obviously if u're only checking silver per labor, the numbers are okayish but the thing is, u can't rly load up 20 packs like tradeship and do it consistently and in a timely manner... Just to do that fishers day event 18 fishes, most likely u need to dedicate atleast 2hrs and maybe more, if u can't find school of fish, get attacked. U can only pull out if i remember correctly 21 fish out of chummed school of fish, so thats limited.

Sport Fishing checklist:
  • need fishing boat
  • need fishing rod (which btw expires)
  • need chum (requires pike fish, again... extra time if u dun wanna buy)
  • need school of fish (can't find one, well then, no fishing today,gj wasting all that time instead of farming purses or running tradeships/freighters)
  • need atleast a minimum of 30mins, to fill the boat
  • need not to get attacked, before the fish get to port
  • need sufficient proficiency otherwise fish will get away
Profit? Lets say u got 3 tunas, 1 sturgeon, 1 marlin, got lucky with getting 1 gargantiuan fish (24g avg.)
tunas usually like 12g, marlin more to like 15g, sturgeon in between 14g.
12 x 3 + 15 + 14 + 24 -> 89g
And u most likely spent atleast 5-10mins travelling to the spot, lets avg it out to 8mins (travel back 2x). 16min + 30mins fishing, 46min.
I can make that same amount by doing just rice on my land....

U feel exactly like this pepe frog after fishing...
'pepe

Last edited:
What about being able to sport fish anywhere instead of having to find a school of fish? Set a 22hr timer like packs to keep bots away. Set amount of fish that you can turn in for an entire day.

I am an avid sport fisher on this game, I do it alot and get ganked sometimes but not always, I do NOT do it for the money but because I like the mechanic and it is actually relaxing for me, I can tell you now I dont care how profitable you make this part of the game there is NO way bots would ever make gold from it as here is no way in hell a bot could circumvent all of the pirates out there, red and purple, to make any gold. it takes all of my cunning to avoid them at all costs and still I get caught up in thier version of fun from time to time.

ps, for all you pirates out there , if you see me on the high sees just ask for the fish, it is quicker for both of us to get back to doing what we like :)

^ ye how can bots OCEAN fishing be a gaurenteed hobby for most players apart from those who play in the extremely early morning hours, and how would this be equal or better to a freedich island trade run?
@Sjinderson Btw nobody is asking for fresh water (inland) fishing, I don't think anyone would care if it was deleted + the family bait is clearly a comfortable bot practice, this is purely ocean fishing, buff the seas and see more happier players (both PvE'ers and PvP'ers).

It's really sad that content quality of life is neglected due to 'oh it can be bot'. Well so can everything in this game, apparently. And anyway, Auroria is full of argent bots farming 24/7 since I started in September. Yet that new zone got some nice coinpurses/crate changes. Hm.

Also, are bots really gonna make fishing boats on throwaway accounts?

As some of you correctly noticed, sport fishing was implemented in game more as a way to relax than a way to get huge profits.
Though you need time to be invested into sport fishing to find an active spot and catch a fish, you don't need to forget that it requires less efforts and input of resources and preparation time.
You can't also state that fishing is not profitable. It is profitable and has a very big advantage as you need almost nothing to start fishing and geting gold.

If we compare it with trade runs, you don't need to forget that gold can be received right away when you turn it a fish pack, and you need to wait for 22 hours to receive your gold and start using it, when you do a trade run.
To craft a trade pack you need to spend money for resources, need land, time to grow materials for the pack and craft pack. More danger is also waiting for you on the land than in the sea and more chances that you'll loose profits.

Why having to input less, receiving your reward right away and not needing much preparation actions in sport fishing, it should become more profitable than other professions and sources of profits?! Sport fishing complexity is lower in comparison to other activities, so like in real live, you'll get less for fishing than for some complicated production.

You also forget that if you increase your fishing proficiency, you get higher chances to catch a better fish, so you increase your profits if you increase your proficiency. Some statistics was also gathered by our Devs a few months ago and it showed that players that are actively participating in sport fishing, making it their main occupation and getting their fishing proficiency to the max level are getting even more profits than players who are farming mobs or doing trade runs.

As some of you correctly noticed, sport fishing was implemented in game more as a way to relax than a way to get huge profits.

Then find a way to make fishing safe, it is partially relaxing, driving a freighter/picking up crops whatever and replanting and watching youtube is more relaxing than fishing easily. Seriously, put the Fishing Stand on the damn boat if you don't care about the majority of players thoughts.

All in all a poor answer that roughly 75% of the community or more don't wish to hear.

you don't need to forget that it requires less efforts and input of resources and preparation time.
You can't also state that fishing is not profitable. It is profitable and has a very big advantage as you need almost nothing to start fishing and geting gold.

What?? We're talking about sport fishing. You need a rod, chum, a lure, and a flipping BOAT. How is that almost nothing?

@Sparkle, They stated at this moment it is content only done by players who have time to waste (time to relax in-game). That means that as a whole it is on its way to being dead content. If you would be happy with the suggested changes provided add the same gold timer to fishing (22hours) as there is on trade packs. If you think that the requirements for fishing are lower than doing trade runs you are horribly mistaken. The gold required to make an account ready to do trade runs and fish would be quite similar. However, the gold per/hour would be much much lower for the fishing account. You seemed to have stated that the risks for sport fishing are less than trade runs. When you are fishing you are a sitting duck. Where you can easily be picked off by any pirates that are floating around. When you are on a merchant you can see other boats and go invisible to evade them appropriately. In my opinion, the only reason this point has been perpetually shot down is that it isn't servicing the people who bring in all the IRL money to the server and therefore you are uninterested in investing the time and manpower.

... it is content only done by players who have time to waste (time to relax in-game).

Sometimes I have the impression that some people confuse MMORPGs activities with real life work.

Hey, this is a game, is by definition "time wasted" in non-productive activity.

For preparing and then running the trade packs you need more efforts and resources than for fishing.

Also, as I said before, it’s very important to pay attention to your proficiency level. The more you increase it, the higher are chances to catch a better fish and as a result, more gold to receive when you turn it in. Proficiency plays very important role here.

Also, don’t forget about The Fishers Day that provides extra rewards. We have it running twice a week on Tuesday and Saturday. Rewards will be updated for them soon and players will find them more valuable than before. That will be a good bonus for our fishers and should increase interest in fishing.

The gold for sports fishing sucks. Sports fishing needs a buff to the amount of gold you get. I'm going to break down the pros and cons in my eyes below (please keep in mind that this is only for sports fishing not bait worm fishing)

Pros of Sport fishing:
  • Lowish start up cost. (boat and fishing pole)
  • Pretty fun
Cons:
  • High risk fishing on the ocean
  • Low gold income for risk
I personally think the cons outweigh the pros in my mind. You are forced to be in a pvp zone without a weapon in your hand to make 10g a fish to like 30g. Meanwhile packs you can make easily 70g a pack if you know what you are doing. There are trade packs that make 25g for entire peace runs.

If Botting is really the reason we can't buff the costs of fishing a bit, why not take out Fresh water sports fishing? My understanding was that bots used the Solzreed and Silent Forest lakes to bot in peace zones. You could just take out the fresh water chum and lures from the game and buff the sports fishing values a bit. Even a 5-10% buff to the amount of gold would be a good start to make this a profession that people want to do again.

If Botting is really the reason we can't buff the costs of fishing a bit, why not take out Fresh water sports fishing? My understanding was that bots used the Solzreed and Silent Forest lakes to bot in peace zones. You could just take out the fresh water chum and lures from the game and buff the sports fishing values a bit. Even a 5-10% buff to the amount of gold would be a good start to make this a profession that people want to do again.

To be 100% honest, I completely forgot freshwater fishing was even a thing. The removal of fresh water fishing holes would absolutely reduce the threat of bots and would warrant a gold increase if you HAVE to go out into contested waters in order to participate in it. Good idea!

Also, don’t forget about The Fishers Day that provides extra rewards.

This only applies to pirates , I do not fish on those days as the waters are especially full of them and they are the only ones that profit these days.

Back