What's new

Kraken

What should happen with kraken?

• Kraken should despawn after 3 hours.

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • Kraken should lose maximum hp every hour that it's up.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Nothing should change.

Votes: 46 50.0%
  • I have a different idea.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kraken should despawn after an agreed upon amount of hours.

Votes: 13 14.1%

• Total voters

Vinchino

8-hour krakens suck, let's change it. Here are some options that I think would make kraken less aids:

Option 1: Kraken should despawn after 3 hours.
On the live 3.5 patch, kraken was changed to a 3 hour despawn timer because kraken would just go to whoever stayed up later than the other. (This is how it's supposed to be for this patch)

Option 2: Kraken should lose a set amount of health every hour.
This is a custom idea that some people thought of so that kraken doesn't take an excessive amount of time and still guarantees kraken be killed without despawning. I think 10% hp per hour sounds fair. (This would prevent a deficit on ink sacs)

Option 3: Nothing should change.
Leave kraken as is.

Option 4: I have a different idea.
Leave your idea in the comments.

Option 5: Kraken should despawn after an agreed upon amount of hours.
Chose this option if you think kraken should despawn but 3 hours isn't an acceptable amount of time.

Last edited:
5 hour despawn, and add extra loot to it such as serendipity stones(please...) and/or an extra ink sac. If it were to have a 3hour timer, then there would probably be no ink sacs available whatsoever unless someone zergs it down with 80 people. I would rather have the timer upped to 5 hours to prolong PVP that it brings. It's one of the best events for it and one of the reasons I keep playing. 3 hours goes by way too quickly imo

RD also needs to have a despawn timer. And a nerf to flame wings/spellshield that the later patch brought.

Last edited:
Right now the major issues that this server has regarding Kraken are that there are 3 major groups with relatively even numbers (20-50, depending on the day and turnout) preventing one another from killing Kraken for an extended period of time which is annoying to both these groups and also to other, smaller groups and factions because they won't ever get a chance to attempt it without leaving their faction to join a Player Nation.

Originally in the 3.5 Patch that the Retail Archeage Servers got on NA, Kraken + Red Dragon + DGS's were set to all spawn at the same time, and only be "up" and available to kill for 3 hours after which they would despawn. This mechanic would NOT be healthy for ArcheRage due to there only being one server, there is already enough scarcity when it comes to boss materials that are used for upgrading and crafting important gear pieces. If we restrict the supply inflow of these materials even further, the price-gouging will only increase.

Due to the aforementioned reasons, I recommend adding some sort of stacking or scaling debuff to Kraken that makes it easier to kill after a prolonged period of time.

Essentially, every 1 hour Kraken is still alive, it would lose ~10% of it's Maximum Health upon being reset. Alternatively, you could add a debuff that makes Kraken ~10% more vulnerable to siege damage as each hour passes. Not only will this solve the issue of the constant resetting + macro abuse + drawing out of this boss that players dislike, but it would also potentially encourage smaller groups to participate in this content after the numbers from the major groups dwindle.

While there is a strong EU / OCE / Non-NA population on this server, the current 24 hour uptime on Kraken is irrelevant to these timezones and Players because Kraken has never stayed alive for over 12? hours throughout the entire history of this private server.

Last edited:
Or this is how it should go. The main groups that DO kraken should sit down with each other and agree on who kills the kraken when it spawns, then who kills it the next time it spawns, then who kills it after that. That's what a guild I was in did and it worked out great for everyone, killed the kraken in less than a hour instead of drawing it out for an ungodly amount of hours that eventually turns it into a job just to kill it. This way everyone gets what they need and not have to spend an unhealthy amount of time in a single spot trying to shoot a fish out of the water

Or this is how it should go. The main groups that DO kraken should sit down with each other and agree on who kills the kraken when it spawns, then who kills it the next time it spawns, then who kills it after that. That's what a guild I was in did and it worked out great for everyone, killed the kraken in less than a hour instead of drawing it out for an ungodly amount of hours that eventually turns it into a job just to kill it. This way everyone gets what they need and not have to spend an unhealthy amount of time in a single spot trying to shoot a fish out of the water

Are you an idiot? People came to ps for pvp not free farm and hand holding with the competition.

Your a brainlet stop thinking, like Mhm said alot of us are here just to pvp over bosses/content in general so just saying oh you get the kraken we will fuck off is not the answer and never will be

Leave it alone. Good that you have to endure since no PN will sell an ink sac to non-PN anyways. This was your reward for such a greedy stance...a 3rd group that is big enough to dps boats down constantly. But I do think more than 1 ink sac should drop since even if kraken was killed at every spawn since server opening the max available for a single server is still less than 300 total.

Ok well if you wanna spend all day jerking each other off over a fish, that's fine...i'll be in my bungalow in solz just chilln waiting for hiram to drop and when it does, im going to be laughing at you all because you just wasted your life over a fish. You want PvP, Q for arena. Fighting over a fish is a waste of time and I will have absolutely no part in jerking off other players for a shoot at getting an ink sack for a weapon that will become irrelevant in later patches. My idea would work if everyone wouldn't be so Thirsty for PvP that this is the only way you all can get a fight to break out. If the only reason why you play this game IS just for the PvP, then you need to find another game to play because there is more to do than just playing a cookie cutter class and just press 1-5, maybe 6, to kill ppl.

Ok well if you wanna spend all day jerking each other off over a fish, that's fine...i'll be in my bungalow in solz just chilln waiting for hiram to drop and when it does, im going to be laughing at you all because you just wasted your life over a fish. You want PvP, Q for arena. Fighting over a fish is a waste of time and I will have absolutely no part in jerking off other players for a shoot at getting an ink sack for a weapon that will become irrelevant in later patches. My idea would work if everyone wouldn't be so Thirsty for PvP that this is the only way you all can get a fight to break out. If the only reason why you play this game IS just for the PvP, then you need to find another game to play because there is more to do than just playing a cookie cutter class and just press 1-5, maybe 6, to kill ppl.
Ok I don't know if you realize being competitive over something is exactly how conflicts get started. If you wanna sit around waiting for a patch to drop maybe, idk maybe you're the one wasting time?

I know how to be competitive over something, but when it comes to starting up a campfire around a fish for an absurd period of time just to receive a crafting mat, I find it to be a complete waste of time and very unhealthy to individuals having to participate in said event. If you think its a good idea to spend more than a few hours to kill 1 mob for 1 mat that you most likely will not get, plz by all means, you can go at it for as long as you want, I wont stop you. But if you ask me...i think what I suggested and having the kraken despawn after a set amount of hours would be much better overall than spending the same amount of time at a fish as spending time at work.

As for me waiting for a patch to drop hiram gear, ya you could say i'm wasting time....but that's why I do other things other than play the game all day. I stopped running packs, cept for loyalty packs, and decided to just grow baobab tree's just to have a lit income, even if its small, and prestige and whatever else I have left of LP I burn on taxes just to get rid of it. Other than spending time at a big WB, I can wait out anything or anyone so I don't have a problem here :3

I voted for three hours but I am okay with Shay's proposed five hours also. I think you should either have to be clever or be strong to kill kraken, and the increased damage / decreased hp would basically make it rng who could do enough damage on the tag after a while.

Aquestrias and so many people macro gliding both contribute a lot to why it takes so long. All the good pvp is at the start when raids are together and trying to actually kill the boss before the roaching around to win through attrition starts, at which point it devolves to people macro gliding the boss around and people pulling the boss at absurd speeds around the area to where it takes several minutes to force a reset even if you know where the person is dragging it.

Finally, third factions are dumb but tend to fall apart over time. I used to lead one of these "third faction" raids but at least we tried to kill the boss, as far as I know current pirates have never attempted a pull. I'm just going to host an AoE2 game on my second monitor and bait the useful part of pirates away from the game next kraken.

Last edited:
5h seems like a decent dispawn timer. If ink sacks are considered a problem you could create a tradeable stacking item obtained the same way kraken eye is currently obtained. If said item required for example 100 parts to create an inksac, that would mean pn1 and pn2 would get about half a inksac and pirates about 25/100 IF kraken goes down. The winner would also receive the normal loot drop.
This option would bring about an extra inksac every kraken but split differently. If no one kills it in 5h, no one gets anything. The shorter timer should make pvp more intresting instead of dragging it out for a few hours at a time.

mMmMmMMmM nothing like seeing the players who can't free farm anymore asking for a despawn time on kraken

Last edited by a moderator:
Kraken, Rd and those long time technical fights when contested are there for a reason. Leave it as is so the three groups of superherovillians can duke it out. If a change would be in order, maybe a 4 hour timer before despawn.

Alternative idea: Instead of three spawn zones trigger it random with those three plus the Underwater Breathing Device questline areas as possible spawn zones to give a bit more variety.

1.Alex W 8′ 59″ S 19′ 33″
2.Dalgru W 6′ 03″ S 18′ 22″
3. Fyr’s W 3′ 29″ S 16’27”
4.Marum W 4′ 05″ S 13′ 56″
5.Alonso W 4′ 43″ S 9′ 38″
6.Redish W 0′ 06″ S 11′ 17″
7.Urshur E 4′ 49″ S 7′ 39″
8.Bulgari E 4′ 16″ S 5′ 18″

Having more than three clumped together areas with 2-3 ports heavily contested is a flaw and could make it more profitable for the quickest team to react to one of the mentioned spawn zones.

The idea isn't too far fetched and a dgs roaming around some of the time would be hilarious fun.

DH

8-hour krakens suck, let's change it.

5 Minute Krakens suck too. I didn't see anyone from PN2 open up a thread and requesting a forceful removal of the PN1/East alliance by the devs. Can't free-farm it anymore, dang it. Don't wanna leave early and let our enemy have it, dang it. If we don't get it, better nobody get it.

Why force a short despawn on Kraken and not instead combat the cause of the long duration ?
I see a flaw in the fact that 2 or 3 Islands with housing are all around the Kraken spawn locations. Getting wiped is barely a punishment for the defeated party, they'll just skip half the distance it takes to sail back to continue contesting. Maybe shorten the radius in which Kraken roams around before it resets ? Or move it entirely elsewhere, away from possible ports.

4abe0c2886376486b0efb234235764a5.jpg

No clue if anything spawns there besides Leviathan somewhere around. Location might be flawed, just throwing out an idea.

5 hour despawn, and add extra loot to it such as serendipity stones(please...) and/or an extra ink sac. If it were to have a 3hour timer, then there would probably be no ink sacs available whatsoever unless someone zergs it down with 80 people. I would rather have the timer upped to 5 hours to prolong PVP that it brings. It's one of the best events for it and one of the reasons I keep playing. 3 hours goes by way too quickly imo

I agree with this, 5 hours sounds fair and better drops would probably bring out more pvp. Personally, I like the idea of kraken becoming easier to kill the longer it's up.

mMmMmMMmM nothing like seeing the players who can't free farm anymore asking for a despawn time on kraken

I've never free farmed kraken and it's been an extremely long time since kraken was free farmed on this server.

5 Minute Krakens suck too. I didn't see anyone from PN2 open up a thread and requesting a forceful removal of the PN1/East alliance by the devs. Can't free-farm it anymore, dang it. Don't wanna leave early and let our enemy have it, dang it. If we don't get it, better nobody get it.

I've never free farmed kraken and you're making a bad comparison with the alliance, completely different situation. The point isn't for kraken to not be killed, the point is for there to be something in place to prevent long drawn out krakens where the loot goes to whoever stays up later. That's not very fun for anyone.

I like how all the people that rarely or never show up to kraken are the ones against changing it. lol.

I like how all the people that rarely or never show up to kraken are the ones against changing it. lol.
Percisely this. If you haven’t been to a kraken and don’t actively contest/attempt kraken you really have no right to vote.

Back