What's new

<<Ocean Sport Fishing Solution>>

Do you think a well though out Ocean Sport Fishing buff would be benificial?

• Yes

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

gavin511

<<MESSAGE TO DEVS/ADMINS>>

So, I understand we can’t collectively come up with a solution to a ‘Sport Fishing’ Buff that everyone can be happy with. However, I have decided to make some collective points that I know can’t be easily subsided by the statement: ‘It will attract bots’. I will preface this post by saying I am referring to Ocean Sport Fishing.

Ways to Improve:

1. I understand that people are concerned that if you increase the Silver/Labor Point Spent (S/LP) that will make fishing far too ‘OP’ and lead to game price inflation etc. The easy answer to this debate is to maintain the S/LP ratio. Therefore the % increase in gold would be equal and proportional to the increase in labor point required to fish. This could be done through increasing sport fishing skill labor cost, or by adding a labor cost for handing in fish packs.

2. Additionally/alternatively, you could lower the health points of the ‘Sport Fish’ decreasing the overall time required to completely fill a fishing boat. The proportion of the health that would be decreased is up to the Devs and could be mixed with other improvements to make for a healthy balance. This will decrease the overall time needed to find, collect, and return sport fish, therefore, making it a more practical money-making alternative.

What to do about the bots:

1. Make the Gold/Hour equivalent to that of purses. I understand getting the number for this might be a bit difficult but I am confident a passionate player will be able to get this done. This way there is no benefit for the bots to move from doing coin-purses to ocean sport fishing as the requirements are much higher to start sport-fishing and are Labor Point Limited (where you can continue to farm purses even if you are out of LP).

2. Implement an anti-bot mechanic. this would be as simple as a ‘capcha’ that needs to be filled after handing in a number of fish, or every time you do. This would make the argument that old 3.5 Archeage botting scripts could be transferred to Archerage irrelevant.

3. Implement a cap to sport fishing. Preventing bots from being able to hand in an unlimited number of sport fish will decrease the effectiveness of having a bot. With the correct implementation, this wouldn’t impact any normal players and only the bots. Id say a number around 30-50 fish would be appropriate as your average player would not be able to farm more than that given a load of ~5 takes roughly 45minutes (which is including finding spot/transporting back fish). This would also make players choose which fish to hand in for better profit (small vs. gigantic) which is another thing bots would require a lot more work to do.
Edit: If you can't adjust the number of fish that can be handed in you could try to adjust the number that can be caught (adjust the number of times the sport fishing skill can be used, the number of lures that can be bought or something along those lines)

4. Players doing the same content. Easy and simple, the number of players doing the Ocean Sport Fishing will be increased. This will lead to increased player interactions. Unlike some bot farming coin-purses in the middle of nowhere to prevent player interactions, there are only a finite number of fishing spots and players will have to share (or to kill each other of course). The player-base being more active in this content will be much more effective in preventing botting then any admin run bot prevention plan.

5. Finally, and most importantly: Ocean Sport Fishing already has the strongest Anti-Bot mechanic known to the world of MMORPGs. Open PVP. Unlike purses when you die you keep the purses (so who cares if you are pked, your bot just walks back and keeps farming). With sport fishing you lose all of those fish you caught (and therefore the gold you would have gained), additionally, they may break the ship which you now need to repair and wait for its cooldown. This is the most significant reason why game-abusers will avoid using Ocean Sport Fishing bots. So, what if the mechanics for sport fishing are easier and a bot would be easier to make if you gain 0 gold form it?

Overall this ‘Buff’ to Ocean Sport Fishing would increase the amount of player activity in the ocean (Both Factions and Pirates) making for a more dynamic experience: engaging in PVP etc. Of course, this will increase the PvP that happens to players who sport fish but that is an understood mechanic of the game, and I am grateful for it. The inevitable humanization of bots would be plausible in any circumstance and isn’t a valid argument to not properly adjust in-game content to prevent it from becoming dead.

If the Developers need more ideas on appropriate adjustments to prevent botting then simply look at any other MMORPGs that has ever been made. Bots happen. Preventing game progressions due to their existence is nonsensical. Where there is something to exploit someone will do so. Shitty people do shitty things.

-Thanks for reading

Last edited:
Reply regarding the sport fishing was provided 2 days ago in the similar thread.
There are no plans to buff fishing any time soon.

Buffs to anything like this should be done through crafting. Meaning fishing gets you specific crafting materials at a good rate that other areas struggle with. For instance make fishing the main resource for farming Brines for the regrades, purse farming doesn't need brines like they are doing in Aegis, give those drops to fisherman. Or maybe give them rare drops of sup reds or shards of something, like maybe sometime you lock on to an item that was "dropped" from a previous tradeship getting blownup (lore rather than reality).

In summary all professions should be part of the overall market / crafting structure of the game. Using gold generation as a balance mechanic isn't always the best solution.

Back