What's new

RP Character Template: Example

Folks, to get you started thinking of how to develop your character, below is an extensive template you can you use to brainstorm a bit about what type of character your playing and his/her personal motivations behind how you experience the game. Other ideas would be to just jump right into a narrative summary describing your character's appearance or a story about where he/she came from. I'll add some more examples but this should get you started. A special thanks to the GW2 RP team for compiling all this!

The Basics

Character Name: What do people call your character?
Aliases: Nicknames, titles, or anything else the character might be called
Race: Look in the mirror. What are you?
Profession: In-game profession.

Apparent age: Not necessarily their real or exact age, just the one they look.
Hair/mane/leaves: Style and color
Skin/fur/bark: Color and pattern
Appearance details: Any visible flaws, favored clothes or armor, tattoos or scars or jewelry, etc.

Personality: Their best and worst traits.
Religious beliefs/philosophy: What do they believe?

Childhood: What they were like as a child, or after recently awakening, in the case of sylvari.
Recent history: What they do for a living, where they're living, and what their goals might be.
Notable relationships: Family, friends, lovers, guilds, etc.

Strengths, talents, and points of pride: The things your character can do really well.
Weaknesses, detriments, and points of improvement: The things your character does very poorly.

Suggestions:

Favored alcoholic beverage: If I spot you in a tavern, what are you drinking?
Favored food: And what are you eating?
Favored weather or season: Your character is happiest if it's like this outside.
Favored color: Pick a color, any color.

How does your character react when... Describe how your character reacts, either in actions or what they would say out loud.
You find a powerful weapon: Holds it up as the Zelda theme plays.
You find a coin purse: "Golly gee."
You find food: "Om nom nom."
You find a trap: Walks right into it.
You find a corpse: Points at the nearest person. "She did it."
You find a suspicious scroll: "Don't open it!"

Any roleplay preferences or limitations for this character? No violence RP. I'm allergic to violence. It gives me the sniffles.

Character Name:
Aliases: Lost Hic
Race: Human
Profession: Enchantress

Apparent age: Early 30's
Hair/mane/leaves: Top-Knot
Skin/fur/bark: Dead
Appearance details: Personification of Perfection

Personality: Honest; No non-sense
Religious beliefs/philosophy: Do the best you can by those around you, if you can achieve this you will go where you were meant to.

Childhood: Biologically Engineered to be the testament of time and grace.
Recent history: The Witch of Gweonid; Happily known for spending my time amongst the wilds.
Notable relationships: Kindred with the creatures of the land; Nightmare to all who trespass.

Strengths, talents, and points of pride: Surveyor of the lands, fruits, wilderness and forests. Protector to those with out a voice!
Weaknesses, detriments, and points of improvement: Cry. I was born with out tear ducts; it's a touchy subject and i do not wish to talk about it!

Suggestions:

Favored alcoholic beverage: Elk Urin Lager
Favored food: Firanyian Stew
Favored weather or season: All Seasons
Favored color: Refracted light

You find a powerful weapon: "Let's poke something!"
You find a coin purse: "Dafuq i need dis shit??" *tosses over shoulder*
You find food: *sniff sniff* "Smells like pickled pig ass!!" *runs away*
You find a trap: "Hmm, what's this button do??"
You find a corpse: "Where did i put my seasonings?" *fumbles around her bags*
You find a suspicious scroll: "Wonderful! I was on my last roll of toiletpaper!"

Character Name: Wyzpr (like Whisper)
Aliases: Wyz (I don't actually like it, but many people call me this. I assume they are just too lazy to pronounce the last 2 letters)
Race: Elf that wishes I was actually Nuian
Gender: Its 2017... even I can't assume my own gender anymore
Profession: Bear/Yata Farmer and nuisance monster slayer on the side

Apparent age: Looks 30 but definitely around 420 years old. Things got hazy and I lost count.
Hair/mane/leaves: Sides shaven and top in a ponytail because these hipster millennials running around Erenor made it a trend and i wanted to fit in
Skin/fur/bark: As tan as an elf can be
Appearance details: Bought a cloak that turned me invisible. I wrap myself in cloth straps just to give my enemies a fair chance.

Personality: Rather helpful to those in need and loyal to those that stand by me. Usually quiet and an elf of few words when I do speak. Sometimes I stealth and watch people to wyzpr things in their ears not knowing who or where I am. Can be a bit sarcastic.
Religious beliefs/philosophy: I recognize all the past gods/heroes of Erenor but only actively pray to RNGesus.

Childhood: Quiet Elf that felt restricted in Elven society. I liked to sneak away from Gwenid to go watch Nuians in their ways. I believe I was a Nuian in a past life.
Recent history: The first person with land in Karkasse. Mainly raising bears but loves to fish and kill anything that looks at me anyway I don't like.
Notable relationships: No official family but found a home with others that know Time has value that I can Afford

Strengths, talents, and points of pride: I like to scout since thats what my childhood centered around. Also enjoy playing songs that change how people feel. Magic flows through me.
Weaknesses, detriments, and points of improvement: I get distracted by the freedom of Erenor instead of focusing on making money like I probably should, but I have a lot of fun.

Suggestions:
Favored alcoholic beverage:
None. Only drink and smoke all organic items
Favored food: Sweet tooth. I eat candies all day, every day
Favored weather or season: Any as long as I'm blessed to be alive and experience it
Favored color: Green

How does your character react when...
You find a powerful weapon:
Takes forever to decide if I want to keep it or sell it
You find a coin purse: "CHA-CHING"
You find food: **Mouth full of said food** "What food **chews** are you talking about?"
You find a trap: Watches and waits for someone else to fall for it so I can laugh at them
You find a corpse: Desensitized to them. I see them all the time
You find a suspicious scroll: Use it or lose it

Any roleplay preferences or limitations for this character? Doesn't like to play around when important things are happening. Ready at a moments notice to drop everything and go anywhere that the leaders of my group need me to be.

Character Name: Devola
Aliases: None, I prefer to be called by my name, but am not against others giving me a nickname.
Race: Human
Profession: Tailorer

Apparent age: 23
Hair/mane/leaves: Red, long and flowing, slightly wild and unkept as the curls in my hair stick out from several places.
Skin/fur/bark: Smooth white without blemish or freckles.
Appearance details: None, the image of perfection <3

Personality: Kind and caring, always looking out for others within their group. If I have the ability to help someone else I will, often taking the short end of the stick in situations where material value is split. However I can be quite cross with those who abuse my kindness or are overall selfish.
Religious beliefs/philosophy: I believe in the people around me, the worries of the world are not for me and I live within my bubble, making the most of my relationships and location.

Childhood: Raised poor without a father but a loving Mother, I learned the value of kindness and the pain of betrayal. Taking these feelings and lessons I molded myself into a beautiful human being.
Recent history: Recent run ins with past bad blood has taught me that people are more than the 2 dimensional image you see when you have been wronged or angry, and has taught me to look for the good in others whenever possible
Notable relationships: None, born poor, I have worked my way into my way of life.

Strengths, talents, and points of pride: Born with an innate ability to mend the pain in others, I have become an extraordinary healer, but am also trained in the blade and am not afraid of fighting back should the need arise.
Weaknesses, detriments, and points of improvement: As someone who tries to bring about the better of a group, I can often be an easy target when alone, without the aid of another.

Suggestions:

Favored alcoholic beverage: Water, alcohol damages my ability to heal my allies, so I avoid it at all times.
Favored food: A well seasoned Steak. Although born into a poor family, I have worked hard to taste the wonders of the world, and so far a well made Steak has remained top of my list.
Favored weather or season: Raining. Rain makes me feel comfortable while under cover, and the pressure of the rain against my rain resistant clothes (which I made myself) feels reasuring, almost like a massage.
Favored color: No one color sticks out to me, for me it is the blending of the colors to present an amazing piece of art that makes color worth value.

How does your character react when...
You find a powerful weapon: Evaluates the abilities of the piece and finds the person it will benefit the greatest.
You find a coin purse: If found in the wild or on a monstrous beast, I will keep it until I know I will not find its owner. If found in a public place I will seek out its owner, and if I fail to find them, I will keep it.
You find food: Share it with my party or leave it in the pantry as its obviously not mine to eat.
You find a trap: Alert my party and depending on the situation, attempt to remove it.
You find a corpse: Feel an aching in my heart, wishing I had been there sooner to assist the dying person.
You find a suspicious scroll: Store it away to be appraised by an expert.

Character Name: Nitum
Aliases: Nite, The beautiful
Race: Nitum the beautiful was an elf, now it's like a zombie
Profession: Crafter of Handis

Apparent age: Nitum looks like he is 300 years old but he is only 25
Hair/mane/leaves: Redish, long
Skin/fur/bark: Tanned af
Appearance details: Nitum has a scar across his forehead, has no nose and his pupils are gone

Personality: Nitum likes to play music and kill people for fun
Religious beliefs/philosophy: Nitum believes that he can be a pirate some day...

Childhood: Nitum was born an elf in a nice family
Recent history: Nitum was reborn as a zombie when he decided to go for a facial surgery, people often said he was not beautiful enough, so in an attempt to improve his face he ended up all fucked up
Notable relationships: Nitum loves Nitum

Strengths, talents, and points of pride: Nitum is always optimistic and often high af
Weaknesses, detriments, and points of improvement: Nitum is addicted to gambling

Suggestions:

Favored alcoholic beverage: Nitum drinks Vodka
Favored food: Nitum likes to eat Deluxe Sandwiches because he can't afford higher tiers of bread
Favored weather or season: He likes when its foggy
Favored color: He likes black

How does your character react when... Describe how your character reacts, either in actions or what they would say out loud.
You find a powerful weapon: Nitum checks how much he can sell it for
You find a coin purse: Nitum stacks as many as he can before opening them all like some kind of maniac
You find food: Nitum easts
You find a trap: Nitum tries to "bait" the trap
You find a corpse: Nitum tries to kick it or play sad music for them
You find a suspicious scroll: Nitum checks how much he can sell it for

Any roleplay preferences or limitations for this character? Nitum likes to have fun so he won't use any guides for the shitty classes he uses

Back