What's new

4.0 Gems System Debates

Sparkle

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hi ArcheRagers!

This thread is opened for the New 4.0 Gems System discussion only (as it's one of the main topics related to 4.0 changes).
All other 4.0 related questions discuss in our separately started thread - ArcheRage 4.0 Discussion
[LINK]

To find more details regarding 4.0 New Gems System check this thread --> [LINK]

As new system is not yet implemented, changes are still possible.
Feel free to discuss new gems system, share your ideas and thoughts on it.

I feel that in the current state of the games and percentage of Battlerage users Some of the gems added reduced cast time such as Frigid tracks which is difficult to cast in mid combat where as battlerage users have instant mobility and attack skills available at all times. Personally I feel gems like that being removed would make the game unenjoyable for a lot of mage users especially any newer mage player whom may not have immediate resources to lower cast time and already have enough of a hard time surviving in the current meta.

Keep the current Ancient/Eternal gems, perhaps also make them more expensive (material cost) to craft but increase socketing rates?

Keep the current Ancient/Eternal gems, perhaps also make them more expensive (material cost) to craft but increase socketing rates?
Idk I think just keep them the way they are. They are already difficult/costly enough to make. Lunarites in my opinion are more annoying to farm compared to 3.0 and expensive enough on AH.

Are you going to keep the old trade system in place for 4.0 as well? What about the guild xp change and the other custom changes for 3.5?

I feel like XLGames had a reason to remove these gems. Makes me wonder if the game gets thrown out of balance if they stay in or not.
It's a tricky one.
If you remove them entirely, certain classes as already mentioned (mages in particular, frigid tracks) will suffer a lot.
If you only remove the receipe, veteran players can force new players to pay absurd prices.
If you keep them, I think everyone would be happy. It could throw the game out of balance in the long-term maybe ? But if that happens, you can always consider a nerf on the stats of these gems. I believe this is the safest-to-go option.

So I'm voting keep them in, nerf them if they become a problem.

The new lunagem system was one of the best things about 4.0 The only complaint I had was losing some of the ancient/eternal gems. i.e zeal gems Maybe we could just keep those?

I like some of the new gems a lot, but would like to have the option to do the old gems too. I don't know if it's possible to keep both in the game. Would dungeons then continue to drop the old style mats? There would need to be a source for the older mats, or pehaps those drops can remain as they are and the conversion system can be ongoing instead of just something for the transition.

removing old gems is gonna make it real tough for new players. those who have the old gems will have an advantage and idk, just let us choose and keep both options

Remove the old gems, like retail did, but also increase the material costs for new gems (charcoal) since we have the old trading system.

Remove the old gems, like retail did, but also increase the material costs for new gems (charcoal) since we have the old trading system.

do you not realise that by removing the old gems you‘ll just increase the gear gap btw players even more?

the zeal gems, the rez ones, and at number 1 spot of them all, frigid tracks gems are so essential for certain classes and not giving new players the option to have them in their gear as well is not fair

Idk I think just keep them the way they are. They are already difficult/costly enough to make. Lunarites in my opinion are more annoying to farm compared to 3.0 and expensive enough on AH.
I assume if the gems are still to be craftable the recipes will have to be altered to fit in with the changes to lunarite? As there are already waist gems and seemingly no wrist gems on the new system the old ancient/eternal gems could be brought in to a similar recipe as the new sunglow stuff.

Removing the old gems while we're timegated to get even Tier 2 gems because T3's won't be out until 4.5 I believe, makes things a bit rough and keeps a pretty big gear gap in players for a while. Maybe keep the old gems in place for one more patch until we have T3's available, or relax the conditions to make the new Tier 2's. Prestige/honor/shard gating become kinda rough unless we get higher gains for those on this server. Yes we have higher honor, loot buffs, but we're constantly at a deficit of prestige because we don't get the prestige events that live had fairly often around this time. PLease consider revamping Prestige gains overall, not just temporary events though please :)

Keep the old gems. It's better for new, returning and basically most of the playerbase.
Arguably, no, it's not. Because the failure rates are miserable. They're only better at the start because it's cheaper to get a 'few' in and you can use T3's. But T2 no fails could help out those players with guaranteed progression. T3's being available in the same patch would've been better, don't know what XLG was thinking with that.

Keep the old gems. It's better for new, returning and basically most of the playerbase.
A lot of the old gems will actually be worse for newer players once the patch is launched, imagine trying to full gem something with old gems (they still have rng in 4.0) and on top of that the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th gem slot taking anywhere from 500-2000 gold each attempt (plus still having a chance to fail).

Even if you keep old gems or remove them, 4.0 is not a good patch for a new, lower geared, or even average player, no matter how you look at it. 4.0 is definitely a "rich get richer" patch.

- If we keep old gems in the 4.0 patch, people will still have to deal with the RNG associated with them, on top of the additional gold cost to socket, which makes it harder to gear than it is now for new/undergeared players

- If we remove the ability to craft old gems but keep the existing ones in the 4.0 patch, there will be a finite supply of the old gems which will make them harder to obtain for not only newer/undegeared players but also for middle of the pack average players. Wealthy players will stockpile these and use them for themselves or sell at a premium. (4.0 default change)

- If we remove the ability to craft the old gems, make them unrecoverable through mornstoning, and make the existing supply of them unable to socket, nobody will be able to obtain old gems except people who already had them in the gear and even then, you won't be able to upgrade that piece of gear if you want to retain those gems. This is really the only way to prevent new/average/undergeared players from getting price gouged, but this still isn't a perfect solution because it doesn't really allow them to catch up to the top 5% stat wise in the same manner.

Regardless of how you look at it, 4.0 is an awful patch for pretty much everyone but the top 100/established/wealthy from a balancing standpoint. All of the potential solutions make it harder for people towards the bottom of the spectrum.

I feel that in the current state of the games and percentage of Battlerage users Some of the gems added reduced cast time such as Frigid tracks which is difficult to cast in mid combat where as battlerage users have instant mobility and attack skills available at all times. Personally I feel gems like that being removed would make the game unenjoyable for a lot of mage users especially any newer mage player whom may not have immediate resources to lower cast time and already have enough of a hard time surviving in the current meta.
Frigid tracks gem still exists for belt slot, it reduces frigid tracks cast time by a percentage, not a flat amount. There isn't a reason to keep both old and new frigid tracks gems.

The new lunagem system was one of the best things about 4.0 The only complaint I had was losing some of the ancient/eternal gems. i.e zeal gems Maybe we could just keep those?
zeal gems are not very balanced in a meta of inflated critical bonus and rate, zeal itself was progressively nerfed in essentially every patch from 4.5 onwards for this reason

I like some of the new gems a lot, but would like to have the option to do the old gems too. I don't know if it's possible to keep both in the game. Would dungeons then continue to drop the old style mats? There would need to be a source for the older mats, or pehaps those drops can remain as they are and the conversion system can be ongoing instead of just something for the transition.
More than likely they would create new recipes to make the old gems with the new mats, having two different material systems is bound to be extremely confusing and not to mention, annoying to work around.

A lot of the old gems will actually be worse for newer players once the patch is launched, imagine trying to full gem something with old gems (they still have rng in 4.0) and on top of that the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th gem slot taking anywhere from 500-2000 gold each attempt (plus still having a chance to fail).

Update the recipes to bring them into the same system as the new gems, and make them 100% socketable. No price gouging on the old gems unless people want to roll the dice on RNG.
Either way the recipe will have to be updated as the lunarites are changing. If the discontinued gems are just added back in under the new system the only people who need be upset are the ones that dont want others catching up.

Removing the ability to craft or socket the gems would only advantage the people in endgame gear that full socketed already. Thats something that really shouldn't be allowed to happen at all.

Wait, either you two above me are missunderstanding the thread or I am.

This isn't about replacing the 4.0 gems with our 3.5 ones, it's about whether we should get to keep the 3.5 gems in addition to those that 4.0 introduces, or am I wrong ?

Because @Thinking you make it sound like new players don't have the ability to use the new no-fail gems when we keep the old ones.

Last edited:
Back