What's new

Red Dragon Schedule/Buffs/Rewards

DrRageQuit

Right now theres no other way to say it. Red Dragon sucks. Its 40m+ of misery because the rewards suck so bad nobody wants to queue so we're stuck with minimum player count instances.
- At the moment the rewards are pretty meaningless, the gem drop rate is stupid, and 40 minutes for ~2 spinal ridge shards is just miserable.
- Because the reward is awful nobody wants to queue, so less pops and longer fights when we manage to scrape together enough victims to get a pop at all.
- With the instance every day, shitty rewards and long duration, people are burned out and rarely even willing to queue to help others. Theres just so much shit to do daily people are going to skip the things that are of less value to them. FOHC starts 30m after RD, is a guaranteed pop and with pretty decent rewards on completion, which takes half the time

Can we please look at any number of these changes:
1) Schedule change, to run every other day on non-twt days. - Buff standard reward perhaps to adjust for fewer spawns per week.
2) Loot change. Add manastorms/infusions/more ridge shards to actually compensate people for their time if they're not there specifically for the dragon chunks.
3) Buff harpoon damage. Once the dragon is downed a 20 player raid has little difficulty burning its hp. But the flight phases are just miserable flailing around in a big circle doing fuck all damage for 20 minutes at a time

I'd personally prefer to see the schedule changed and rewards increased to begin with. If that doesn't increase the number of people attending, then buffing harpoons will at least make the event less miserable for those that do join.

Thoughts/suggestions?

I agree with rage all over on this, I think it should reward tier 4 infusions or Hiram infusions from a quest as a choice for completing, it is abysmally long and unrewarded as is, I myself do want gems, but they either don't drop or one does and someone sells it for an egregious amount of gold which also can be very frustrating. Currently no one does red dragon because of what is stated above. Rewards definitely need a rework and harpoon damage would be nice too.

100% that Instance is boring as f.. , it gives no good rewards and is extremly time consuming!
Would rly like to see it getting buffed... I mean cmon what is the idea of running behind a circling dragon and keep shooting it with a harpoon its no challenge just a huge waste of time... This Instance is a result of a Team without any sense of creativity ....and i think u guys can rly make it way better than the Live Developers did.

'pepeHave a nice one :)

+1 to all of this
Especially the bit about buffing the harpoons

The on-ground fighting bit can be influenced by how smart or buffed or coordinated ppl are, and that makes sense. Even with a minimum sized raid or fewer, the fight is reasonable in length and difficulty. The harpoon phase however is needlessly brutal and time consuming. Even with a full raid, you're looking at 20+ minutes because you can't do anything to speed up the process, and in fact on the rare occasions the instance pops, people will afk through the harpoon phase, making it take even longer. The last raid I was in had 15 people and while we got it done eventually, I estimate we spent about 40 minutes shooting it with harpoons. That is not reasonable for the rewards offered.

Help us make this instance worth doing please!

The harpoon phase is horrible long in my opinion, take way too much time compared to ground combat, and the loot do not reflect the time used. Have done it only 4 times, and gotten 5 spinal rige shards in total from that, that made me not wanna que up more tbh. The last few times i have only qued up if some in nation or guild is asking and im bored.

The only reason I considered suffering through this instance is for the achievement and I like completing those... That in itself is kinda bad. Even so, I don't bother to q anymore because I know no one else will. Rewards are not worth the time.

The 2nd dragon after MM suits me fine but ye no one queues cuz we can spend our time so much better to earn gold and honor in other ways 🤷‍♀️

Red Dragon was always boring and always had a long burn phase for the flying portion. Leave it as it is since everyone who was doing it for the past 5+ years has had to go through this. If you don't want to get 15-20+ people that you get for Halcy and other faction events then don't queue it.

You guys just want free rewards for everything

Red Dragon was always boring and always had a long burn phase for the flying portion. Leave it as it is since everyone who was doing it for the past 5+ years has had to go through this. If you don't want to get 15-20+ people that you get for Halcy and other faction events then don't queue it.

So it has to stay like that? Admins can still decide if they want to change it, to make it more interesting for players.
The Mechanic of that dragon is just bad. The normal RD gave pretty good rewards compared to this joke..
also new or upgraded Content is always good. No one asks for completly free shit.

Red Dragon was always boring and always had a long burn phase for the flying portion. Leave it as it is since everyone who was doing it for the past 5+ years has had to go through this.

But no one's doing it anymore after a week of tentative attendance. Who cares about the last 5 years >.>

There's a slight difference between 15 fully geared teammates from a PN who are all in from start to finish, where you can stop or start or come back an hour later when you have more people, versus a 15 ppl pug with some 4k gs and a bunch of afkers that you can't do anything about in a one-shot-only time locked instance. Im sorry that it was such a horrible grind for you when it was open world content, but this is like comparing apples to tonka trucks, or saying that since your great great grandparents didn't have indoor plumbing, that we should all be pooping in a hole in the ground again.

If you want it to return to open world content, perhaps you should direct your energies towards championing that path. Get some of your friends to chime in to that effect, too. But right now, as is, this content as an instance is dead on arrival. Something needs to be done otherwise it may as well be tossed in the trash. This is a thread to suggest changes that could be make to make it something worth keeping in the game and that people will want to do, so the more suggestions and input the better.

As the patches go on, the game becomes more and more open world pvp with new bosses like charybdis, bd, anthalon and meina/glenn. Instanced bosses know what places they have in the game and give the rewards they should give, as they do here. I believe RD instance is working as its intended to be. As a straight PVE event there shouldn't be any ridiculous rewards to it. The fight has also gotten easier compared to previous patches. If you want better rewards, just wait for Black Dragon.

Last edited:
I mean asking for it to be easier In terms of obtaining rd gems or maybe some infusions isn't bad though is it? It's a pretty simple request, treat it like a raid dungeon cause it basically is one, it could reward the supply boxes or t4 enhancers or even something like the nory box. A pve reward for pve

I mean asking for it to be easier In terms of obtaining rd gems or maybe some infusions isn't bad though is it? It's a pretty simple request, treat it like a raid dungeon cause it basically is one, it could reward the supply boxes or t4 enhancers or even something like the nory box. A pve reward for pve
I think trip gems drop rate should not change at all. If you weren't able to kill the boss before while it was contested for the drops then I don't think you should have a close or higher chance than what it is now for the gems.
Its the same thing as people complaining to give kraken gems from luscas or tiny chance or some method to get them. Stop trying to make it easier for people not wanting to pvp (back when RD wasn't an instance) and get lazy rewards.

It is a free kill with no contesting/able to be killed while doing it outside of not being geared enough.

If you're complaining about afks/4k gs people in the instance then that is a separate issue. Maybe do an afk checker or vote kick system or make a gs req.

It does not change the fact it's a deja vu feeling of halcy queue. No one joined that either because they did not feel the rewards were worth it. It makes sense that people are now talking about tweaking the RD instance too.

i didnt say to buff the drop rate of the rd gem, if you're in a big raid someone is gonna get it regardless, i just mean the time and effort put in just for 99% of the raid to get a single shard is just crap? no one in their right mind is gonna queue for it when it not only wont reward them with anything, but also takes near the time limit every time it had queued in the first week due to people either afking, not paying attention, and the harpoon phase lasting 5x as long as the old rd open world fight was. no one wants to do it cause its rewards are shit, not cause it has to be some contestable world boss for the drops do be meaningful.

I think trip gems drop rate should not change at all. If you weren't able to kill the boss before while it was contested for the drops then I don't think you should have a close or higher chance than what it is now for the gems.
Its the same thing as people complaining to give kraken gems from luscas or tiny chance or some method to get them. Stop trying to make it easier for people not wanting to pvp (back when RD wasn't an instance) and get lazy rewards.

It is a free kill with no contesting/able to be killed while doing it outside of not being geared enough.

If you're complaining about afks/4k gs people in the instance then that is a separate issue. Maybe do an afk checker or vote kick system or make a gs req.
Just want to mention.
U guys free farmed it ;) no need to talk about any pvp

1. Don't change the drop rates or rewards of the event, but lower the health of the monster and buff harpoon damage (2-3x). This is the most realistic option as in the past, players used every workaround possible to avoid doing the harpoon phase with actual harpoons - whether it was flame wings, archers sitting on a hill and dps'ing with serpent sight, or even flying people up to ability range using a mount.

2. People aren't asking to get something for nothing. We have to understand that everyone has a limited amount of time to play each day, and "rationally", players are going to spend their time doing the activities that are the most productive. As it stands, red dragon is simply not worth doing with our current server population / activity. As others have stated, it simply takes an absurd amount of time for little to no reward (in comparison to other activities). I'm sure most players would consider 15-30 minutes to be a reasonable goal for the time taken to complete the instance. 15-30 minutes of someone's time is not "nothing" as some posters have stated, the vast majority of the suggestions here are not "lazy".

3. If reward changes are being considered then the only reward-related change I would support would be to make the Evenglow Lunagem: Impact a guaranteed drop from each boss kill - similar to how it was before the instancing, it can be rolled out to the raid (i'm not positive but admins make sure the leader can't set loot mater or do any funny business). The lunagem could be removed from the drop table of the loot pouch that everyone gets. In actuality this wouldn't be too much of a buff.

halcy and RD are not comparable at all though? Not to mention Halcy is still kind of shit

I'm just saying there seems to be a pattern with queueing for instances. We will see once MM instance launches... >.>

And I do believe most people very much appreciate 2k labor, and extra infusions for 20 min of pvp.

Rewards you get are related to Red Dragon and are good enough. Reward already includes a number of useful things, as: 4000 Honor Points, Locked Gold Crate (x2), Red Dragon Spinal Ridge Shard (x1-4). Plus you get a chance to get more valuable items, such as: Red Dragon Spinal Ridge (x1), Evenglow Lunagem: Impact (x1) and Enraged Red Dragon Weapon.​
No additional rewards will be included or existing rewards buffed.​
Red Dragon was never a boss that took 5 minutes to kill but required time and efforts.​
But, Red Dragon HP and harpoon damage are 2 things we will consider changing, so the general time players spend in that instance would be reduced.​

Back