What's new

ArcheAge to ArcheRage: The road ahead?

neoyoshi

Howdy folks,

Firstly i'd like to preface with saying Thank you to the folks responsible for bringing all of this to life; i do not know what is in store for ArcheRages' future- but i'll get to that question further down in this topic.

I just discovered the ArcheRage server yesterday for the first time and it's brought back a lot of interesting memories of playing on the Live servers.

Those great memories were spent doing lots of things i love doing; like:

Spending lots of time on the Ocean floor.
waAWN70.jpg

A lot of time spent in a Clipper.
V74YxRy.jpg

Meeting new boo..people.
4WjeXsS.jpg

And seeing interesting.... things... stuff....i have no idea.
leNXmao.jpg

The point is, i had- along with the community i played with- a blast when ArcheAge first came out; yes even after build 1.0 and 2.0, ArcheAge was a great experience for me personally, I've always loved the game world itself despite it's short-comings with it's Publisher and Developer.

Then there is the update of November 4th, 2014.
Hk7Tw21.jpg

In some ways, this update- for those who remember it, re-contextualized how a player like myself thought of ArcheAge's future, especially after what happened and the subsequent updates. It was very disheartening to watch unfold and shortly after i left along with my gaming community and never looked back.

Even though i still mentally look back at that super expensive Villa i had just finished building before i left.

I still thought often about the Ocean environment that i loved so much in ArcheAge, i still remember the huge Sea battle with the Kraken- that was really more like a Guild-free-for-all at the time, because we were all fighting for server-first Kraken kill- but it was fun to watch play out.

These were things i felt were important at the time because there was a sense of something to look forward to everyday; i didn't have much worry about whether or not the game was going to get shut down due to financial issues- ArcheAge was explosively popular here in the West.

I kept on playing and financially supported ArcheAge back then because i sensed the game had a bright future within it's current market.

Which brings me to the question: What is the future for ArcheRage?

I do not want to sugarcoat this inquiry, but there isn't a heck of a lot i know about the longevity of these types of Projects these days- all i know is that there was a time when a Project of this size usually had a bullseye hanging somewhere; and that is really my only concern.

And before there is any confusion, my ideology on private online game projects is more in favor of the game itself; and not so much where that game is being housed. As far as i am concerned, i see this more of an act of doing right by the source material- where other publishers have done so much wrong by it.

I love ArcheAge and i want to invest in this project, i actually already have invested a little bit, but not as much as i am willing to; because i just want to know that ArcheRage- will have a bright tomorrow, and not be brought down by a technicality within a DRM (or whatever publishers use to enforce take-downs.)

Thank you for reading this, and i hope this is just the beginning of my new adventure.

Now if you'll excuse me, i need to get back to work. D:

N5BJfpj.jpg

- David ( Neoyoshi )

Which brings me to the question: What is the future for ArcheRage?

I do not want to sugarcoat this inquiry, but there isn't a heck of a lot i know about the longevity of these types of Projects these days- all i know is that there was a time when a Project of this size usually had a bullseye hanging somewhere; and that is really my only concern.

And before there is any confusion, my ideology on private online game projects is more in favor of the game itself; and not so much where that game is being housed. As far as i am concerned, i see this more of an act of doing right by the source material- where other publishers have done so much wrong by it.
well, their RU server that is hosted in France is up for 9 months now, so in my opinion the question of whether this server is going to live long or not should be adressed only to community

Welcome Neoyoshi :D. I feel the same way you do. I'm afraid the server won't last. Not because of legal reasons (I think the team have ways around that) but because of the looming patches.

Patch 3.0 was horrible! And the beginning of the end for me. But IronLady has said that we won't be getting 3.0 until next year. So we can at least indulge in this wonderful version of the game for a few months yet. But the threat is there. I'm acutely aware of it hanging over my head.

But so far, ArcheRage has exceeded all my wildest dreams. I forgot how much I loved this game and how much I missed it when it died.

This is the way the game should have been from the start. Not the increased XP, that's just icing on the cake, but the fairness of it. The game is truly free to play. Everybody can use the Auction House. Everybody can own land. Nobody is forced to have multiple accounts to get around the ridiculous labor restrictions. It's wonderful!

I never realized just how mean and greedy XL Games and Trion were until I played this version of the game. And for the first time, I'm actually willing to spend real money to support this game. I feel like these Devs have done the right thing by me, so I'll do the right thing by them.

I'm also willing to bet that this server is making just as much money (if not more) than the official game. Without any of the nasty tricks that Trion employs.

So my advice is to make the most of ArcheRage while you can, because I'm really afraid that the patches (if implemented in their original forms) will kill this server, just as they did to the official servers. But for now, ArcheRage is totally awesome! :D

Welcome Neoyoshi :D. I feel the same way you do. I'm afraid the server won't last. Not because of legal reasons (I think the team have ways around that) but because of the looming patches.

Patch 3.0 was horrible! And the beginning of the end for me. But IronLady has said that we won't be getting 3.0 until next year. So we can at least indulge in this wonderful version of the game for a few months yet. But the threat is there. I'm acutely aware of it hanging over my head.

But so far, ArcheRage has exceeded all my wildest dreams. I forgot how much I loved this game and how much I missed it when it died.

This is the way the game should have been from the start. Not the increased XP, that's just icing on the cake, but the fairness of it. The game is truly free to play. Everybody can use the Auction House. Everybody can own land. Nobody is forced to have multiple accounts to get around the ridiculous labor restrictions. It's wonderful!

I never realized just how mean and greedy XL Games and Trion were until I played this version of the game. And for the first time, I'm actually willing to spend real money to support this game. I feel like these Devs have done the right thing by me, so I'll do the right thing by them.

I'm also willing to bet that this server is making just as much money (if not more) than the official game. Without any of the nasty tricks that Trion employs.

So my advice is to make the most of ArcheRage while you can, because I'm really afraid that the patches (if implemented in their original forms) will kill this server, just as they did to the official servers. But for now, ArcheRage is totally awesome! :D

3.0 wasn't that bad, it was 3.5 that killed archeage ... Far in front of that was Trions milking.

The game died a little bit with each fresh start, they promised players a fresh start, then ramped up the same P2W of the legacy servers within 2 weeks. They got too greedy and clouded ... Which is why people are here. The only reason Trion releases a fresh start is to bump up the annual earnings.

Sad part is they willingly killed fresh starts to bump up the transfer rate, a transfer to another server costs more than the low spenders would be willing to spend.

3.0 wasn't that bad, it was 3.5 that killed archeage ... Far in front of that was Trions milking.

The game died a little bit with each fresh start, they promised players a fresh start, then ramped up the same P2W of the legacy servers within 2 weeks. They got too greedy and clouded ... Which is why people are here. The only reason Trion releases a fresh start is to bump up the annual earnings.

Sad part is they willingly killed fresh starts to bump up the transfer rate, a transfer to another server costs more than the low spenders would be willing to spend.

I agree. Patch 3.0 was the beginning of the end, but as horrible as it was, I managed to keep playing. But that evil patch 3.5 is what really killed the game for me (and many others). I just couldn't play after that (and I did try).

ArcheAge wasn't ArcheAge anymore. It was a butchered monstrosity of itself. It almost made me cry every time I tried to play to see everything that was lost or nerfed. And it wasn't just the big things like the vocation changes, it was a whole heap of little things, like removing wild plants or not letting people unsummon their pets when in combat that finally killed it for me.

This is why I'm so apprehensive about the future of ArcheRage. Because I know what the future holds and it's horrible. To be honest, I wish we could stay at version 2.9 forever, but I know that can't happen, there are too many folks who want to play a dwarf (me too :p).

So if they can just stop at 3.0 and not go any further, then things might be ok. But if 3.5 comes to ArcheRage, then I can't see myself sticking around :(.

We can always make polls and posts about things we dislike and would like changed in the patches. They have accommodated alot of the changes we requested already and changed things from our Feedback. Because they aren't tied by XL, They can do the changes themselves!

We can always make polls and posts about things we dislike and would like changed in the patches. They have accommodated alot of the changes we requested already and changed things from our Feedback. Because they aren't tied by XL, They can do the changes themselves!

This is what I'm hoping for as well. The team here are terrific and they actually seem to listen to their players. I'm no programmer, but I really, really hope it's possible to make changes to the patches.

Thank you kindly @Tiptoe , community is a very big part of what keeps me playing MMORPG's and i would like to see this particular community grow if possible; if sounds like you've had some really welcoming experiences so far so that's a good start. :)

I will admit I've never been one to notice the finer details with patches themselves, not that i care not too-i definitely care- i'm just at an age that i tend to take lots of naps, so important stuff tends to slip by me and i usually find out later. xD

What i do tend to notice right away during patch changes is how a community reacts to something within that change, especially if it's something more community-breaking versus game-breaking.

Game breaking bugs can be fixed, but when something happens that breaks almost the entire community, nothing can fix that; the crowd is going to move on, and they don't come back.

Thank you kindly @Tiptoe , community is a very big part of what keeps me playing MMORPG's and i would like to see this particular community grow if possible; if sounds like you've had some really welcoming experiences so far so that's a good start. :)

The community here on the forum is great. ArcheRage seems to have attracted a more mature and intelligent audience (at least on the forum).

In game, I'm not so sure. As I tend to keep to myself and keep my chat turned off. But here on the forum I'm thoroughly enjoying the discussions :).

I think you're going to fit right in :D.

The community here on the forum is great. ArcheRage seems to have attracted a more mature and intelligent audience (at least on the forum).

In game, I'm not so sure. As I tend to keep to myself and keep my chat turned off.
cant say anything about west, but if you're east turning chat off is a very good idea (though you might miss some trades, world bosses and this kind of stuff)

Dunno, West is usually just filled with “Traps are gay” and “X RD” spam with a healthy spattering of autistic screeching and “ded server” comments whenever a divine/epic proc happens.

Dunno, West is usually just filled with “Traps are gay” and “X RD” spam with a healthy spattering of autistic screeching and “ded server” comments whenever a divine/epic proc happens.
so exactly same as east

I think you are over exaggerating faction chat. While there is the x RD spam. The ded server and trap no sense was mostly first week stuff. From what if noticed west faction chat is fine. Outside of a few random "special" kids.

Back