What's new

ArcheRage chat translator [UPDATED to GA Release v1.2 on 14 August 2020]

HNIC_Steamroller

Howdy folks,

I put this together for myself but a bunch of people were interested in it so I decided to post it publicly. It's a program that reads the C:/ArcheRage/Documents/Chat.log file and runs the most recent lines through google translate's API and attempts to translate them into English/Spanish/Portugese. It refreshes once every 20 seconds. This does *not* interact with the game client at all and has been approved by @Sparkle to share in the community. It simply reads the log file and displays translated results.

1595947926154.png

Download the zip file, unzip it, and run the exe. ArcheRageTranslator.zip contains 3 language versions. ArcheRageTranslator.exe is English. ArcheRageTranslator-ES.exe is Spanish, and ArcheRageTranslator-PT.exe is Portugese.

Changelog:
v1.2
- Fixed /cmd chat color
- Minor formatting fix (colon was in the wrong place after a person's name)
v1.1
- Fixed trial chat colors. Also corrected some colors to make them closer to their ingame default colors.
v1.0
- Added colors. They're not perfect, because the terminal is limited to 256 colors. They're as close as I care to spend time making them.
- Changed bundling to only release one .zip file that contains all 3 language versions
- Added versioning; this is the 1.0 release.

Known limitations:
- It uses the Google Translate API so it's not perfect. Sometimes it butchers sentences.
- In countries where the google translate API is unavailable, this won't work.
- I've only tested this on Windows 10.
- It only works if your chat log is at the default install location.

Md5sum:
3340c7e57dbf0494a4b37d49ab7018c8 ArcheRageTranslator.zip

Virus scan: https://opentip.kaspersky.com/46E819EF196B9DCB7133AC2F565B6BAF54FAEEB92288857F93C06F4945431341/

Attachments

• ArcheRageTranslator-v1.2.zip
    15.5 MB · Views: 1,148
Last edited:
Does it ride chinese and how it deal with empty boxes ?
Chat log files do not contain empty boxes. It will show the actual language characters.
The boxes only happens in game because it doesn't know how to display that character

ye it missing some chinese signs but looks like chinese clients contain them ? How?
If you put your game into chinese it'll show Chinese characters. If its not in chinese it takes the characters out of memory and no longer knows how to display them

If you put your game into chinese it'll show Chinese characters. If its not in chinese it takes the characters out of memory and no longer knows how to display them
Back on Nostalrius (WoW private server) you could install a Chinese font which would display Latin as well as Chinese script in the chatbox, so that at least there would be no square boxes in chat. Perhaps it would be doable with a simple font change.

Back on Nostalrius (WoW private server) you could install a Chinese font which would display Latin as well as Chinese script in the chatbox, so that at least there would be no square boxes in chat. Perhaps it would be doable with a simple font change.

That is possible if it will look similar way in game as on a screenshot. As usually if you use Chinese font there will be big spaces between every letter so text will be bad-readable.
But I'm not sure if that would really help. If you don't speak Chinese it will have no difference for you if you see the text in Chinese or empty boxes and if you need to copy and translate something you can just use chat.log that was added for this purpose.

This really cool! Ty Dahmer <3
Have you uploaded the code somewhere like GitHub? I could try to do a workaround to the bracket problem or make this program as an overlay.

Let me know if I can help you improve it, but it's great, thanks!

This really cool! Ty Dahmer <3
Have you uploaded the code somewhere like GitHub? I could try to do a workaround to the bracket problem or make this program as an overlay.

Let me know if I can help you improve it, but it's great, thanks!

My github account uses my IRL name, and owns some of the code contributions I've made to my employer so I'd rather not post it to github and risk doxing myself. I might make a throwaway github account. It's only around 60 lines of python3.

I've updated it and built new EN/PT/ES releases of it. I added some intelligence about names/channels. Basically, instead of trying to translate a whole line like:

<17:02:02> [Faction: Kiwidealer:] WTB Moonlight archeum essence, message me

Only this part gets sent to the google API for translation:
WTB Moonlight archeum essence, message me

I updated it again today and repackaged it. Now it's just one zip file with all 3 language executables inside. With this release, I've started versioning it. I highly recommended downloading this version and using it if you're using a previous version.

Back