What's new

Auction House Listing Period Change

Luxeraph

I'm gonna be lazy and just post here what I already said in the suggestions thread plus avie's rebuttal:
Could the publication time on auction house be increased?
The two day max has been bothering me since I joined since some items don't move that fast and it seems it's gotten worse in the last couple weeks, IMO something like 1 day, 3 days, a week and two weeks instead of 6 , 12, 24 and 48 hours seems ideal, what I'm not really sure is what to do with the publication tax since I'm not sure how important of a sink it is.
Idk how great that idea is, tbh, because atm people already undercut each other making the 2 days listing often annoying and a waste of gold. Imagine the amount of undercutting people could do if you increase the allowed listing time. Not sure if you took that into account?
For those items a simple one day listing would be enough, also if the demand for an item is high those undercutting would be bought out leaving those with higher price as sort of an anchor(at least that's how it works on eve where the max listing time is 3 months), but if you think one day is still too much for those items I guess leaving the 6 or 12 hours option as the first one would be enough.

My main objective is for those items not in high demand and even those in such high demand that people can't post enough to keep on the AH for long to stay longer so more people can see them since it's often the case that posting low demand items is a waste of gold so you're left trying to find who has or wants said item with the trade channel and some high demand items due to how the system is set now can be bought out by a single person since people won't post too many of them given that you got to weigh in how much people buy in at much two days and more than that is flooding e.g. if I sell 10k corn in a week I'm not going to keep posting 10k every 2 days, but due to that I'll miss someone buying all the AH stock and still needing more.

I'll add something else, to me the biggest hurdle this and the current system has is the tax which eats a lot of the profit and why people try to avoid posting big items that wont sell right away but like I said I'm not sure how important of a sink that is, another option is to move the tax from publication to sale profit but I'm also not sure if that'll have an adverse effect of people posting lots of overpriced items to inflate the price of said item.

Would like to hear more opinions to see if this change is indeed required or playerbase is not interested in such changes at all.

It would be nice to be able to set a longer duration, as there are many uncommon items in the game that we're not always looking for and are not always listed. Things like special mounts, vehicles, or costumes from the marketplace boxes. Many players, especially newer players or those who missed that one week it was in the marketplace boxes, would be interested in buying. But when posted, it only allows up to 48 hours for someone to find the posting and bid on it. The buyer would have to be on a mission and actively checking the listings every day to see your post. A longer duration would give more time for an interested buyer to find it, which benefits both the seller and the buyer.

Edit: Maybe include a longer duration for one-item bid listings, but not for partial sale listings. This would help prevent misuse on high-selling items that are purchased in stacks.

Last edited:
I'm very interested in such a change. It would be a lifesaver to set items for a longer duration. Like others have said, people undercut regularly and many crops aren't needed in high volume. We need a longer time to drain the supply.

Would like to hear more opinions to see if this change is indeed required or playerbase is not interested in such changes at all.
I can't say I wouldn't like to see a longer timer on some items, but for some it would probably be detrimental to the economy (or at least would be if the economy was more lively) because of the importance of undercutting, buying things out, setting your own price, then getting undercut by someone else, and all the other fun AH minigames people (used to) play.

People would probably use the current max timer a lot more if there wasn't such an upfront cost to list the items. Do you have any data on what percentage of items are listed with which timer right now? If we knew that (if for example 95% of items were listed with the shortest duration, and only 5% were listed with longer durations), and also the item cost/timer length ratio, it would be easier to suggest a change.

I can't say I wouldn't like to see a longer timer on some items, but for some it would probably be detrimental to the economy (or at least would be if the economy was more lively) because of the importance of undercutting, buying things out, setting your own price, then getting undercut by someone else, and all the other fun AH minigames people (used to) play.

People would probably use the current max timer a lot more if there wasn't such an upfront cost to list the items. Do you have any data on what percentage of items are listed with which timer right now? If we knew that (if for example 95% of items were listed with the shortest duration, and only 5% were listed with longer durations), and also the item cost/timer length ratio, it would be easier to suggest a change.

Guess that's why this is a good suggestion though:

Edit: Maybe include a longer duration for one-item bid listings, but not for partial sale listings. This would help prevent misuse on high-selling items that are purchased in stacks.

Right now, if your item exceeds a certain price, the fee for listing stops at 100g. So if you can list an for much longer for this 100g, that would be nice. Specially considering some items people need more time to save up for in that price range. Having an increased timer for them would save some hassle in those situations, like, when you're saving up for that expensive weapon, as example.

Right now, if your item exceeds a certain price, the fee for listing stops at 100g. So if you can list an for much longer for this 100g, that would be nice. Specially considering some items people need more time to save up for in that price range. Having an increased timer for them would save some hassle in those situations, like, when you're saving up for that expensive weapon, as example.
However, this removes the psychological pressure for people to correct the prices of the ultra-expensive items - if you're forced to relist them every 48 hours, you'll reconsider the price each time, and might lower it significantly if it hasn't sold yet.

The expensive weapon from your example might become not-so-expensive after a few 48h cycles, which is better for the buyer, but if it's kept on the AH for a week, a richer buyer might stumble upon it, or the prospective buyer who saw it when it was first put up might have saved up enough for it, which is better for the seller. Which is better and why, discuss!

Back