What's new

Black Character Selection Screen

internaut

Whenever I want to change to another alt, the character selection screen just remains black. Anyone else with this bug?

having this issue as well,saw many people in game also saying this........but no one is addressing it. Saw an earlier post saying switch the Dx version to 9,but that didn't work for me. And it worked fine until this 3.0 release

This is happening for me also. Esc on Trion logo, goes to black screen or sound that locks up, game shuts down. Alt+enter after hitting esc will get me to the server list, but the list isn't there, it's just the background. Sometimes song plays, sometimes not, either way game shuts down. I've done repairs, changed the DX to 9-12, deleted Archeage folder in docs, still nothing. This has happened several times now. Yesterday it did it and I tried my usual fixes, gave up and went to bed, came back and it worked. I literally did nothing and it just decided to let me in o_O At any rate, this is severely annoying. Did not happen until 3.0. Oh and when I do get in, I'm getting randomly kicked and given the "the gods have disconnected you" message. Yay.

This problem has already been addressed by me and a few other people here in this thread

https://na.archerage.to/forums/index.php?threads/character-select-leads-to-black-screen.5216/

Basically all you need to do is get in game and go to options and go to Quality - the top bar needs to be set to something other than user.

The method that worked best for me was to log out all the way. go to Documents > Archeage > delete all the files at the bottom of that folder (don't go deleting the folders just the files that show up under the folders). Go to LogBackups under the Documents > Archeage folder and delete the Archeage Folder inside the LogBackups folder.

Restart the game and press Alt + Enter once at server select to get out of full screen mode. Select Server and get in game with a character. Set your resolution that you want and go to Quality in the options. The main bar at the top of the quality settings should be set to "user" prob. Set this to what ever else you want, i used Medium since i have a potato gpu. I turned all of my shadows off (NOT messing with the sliders) I also turned off the HDR effects and Water effects, Apply changes and X out at the top right corner of your screen. Once back on the desktop you should be good to go. Just dont' mess with your settings anymore.

From reading up on this it seams to be thanks to custom graphical sets causing an error and not loading anything. I should be able to create a system.cfg file to fix this in future

I've tried the suggestions in this thread and in the previous: Manually deleting the files, logging a char for a while then switching, or changing the settings ig. But none seem to work. In the above method, after I x out of the client the settings don't appear to change, and it goes back to the old resolution and same problem. Since launch, I've been having to end task and relaunch the client to switch between characters and I frequent more than one. It sucks!

Anybody else reaching a dud with this?

I've tried the suggestions in this thread and in the previous: Manually deleting the files, logging a char for a while then switching, or changing the settings ig. But none seem to work. In the above method, after I x out of the client the settings don't appear to change, and it goes back to the old resolution and same problem. Since launch, I've been having to end task and relaunch the client to switch between characters and I frequent more than one. It sucks!

Anybody else reaching a dud with this?

I'm sure you've prob already tried this, but i would completely uninstall the game - both Trion and ArcheRage.

If you're using windows 7 > go to Start Menu > Right click > Open Windows Explorer > C:\ (or wherever you saved the archeage files) > Program Files (x86) > Delete anything in this folder that contains anything called Glyph or ArcheRage NA.

Following the same method above go to > C:\ > Program Files > Again, look for anything pertaining to Glyph or ArcheRage or Archeage or Trion

After deleting all those files, on the left side of the screen go to the Documents folder under Libraries and delete the entire Archeage Folder from there.

Now i would go to Star Menu > Control Panel > Uninstall a Program (Programs) > and search for anything pertaining to Trion / ArcheRage and or ArcheAge - Uninstall everything from here. Including the glyph launcher if it shows up.

From here i would try to install the game from scratch. If you have been having the problem since launch i would recommend trying a different method of installing than you did before. By this i mean if you downloaded the launcher off of the website i would try the Torrent Version this time and visa versa.

I hope this helps you, i still ended up having the same character select problem when i used the torrent button. But after i changed my settings from User to Medium i haven't had a single issue since... if this problem persists maybe someone with more knowledge can assist further.

I'm sure you've prob already tried this, but i would completely uninstall the game - both Trion and ArcheRage.

If you're using windows 7 > go to Start Menu > Right click > Open Windows Explorer > C:\ (or wherever you saved the archeage files) > Program Files (x86) > Delete anything in this folder that contains anything called Glyph or ArcheRage NA.

Following the same method above go to > C:\ > Program Files > Again, look for anything pertaining to Glyph or ArcheRage or Archeage or Trion

After deleting all those files, on the left side of the screen go to the Documents folder under Libraries and delete the entire Archeage Folder from there.

Now i would go to Star Menu > Control Panel > Uninstall a Program (Programs) > and search for anything pertaining to Trion / ArcheRage and or ArcheAge - Uninstall everything from here. Including the glyph launcher if it shows up.

From here i would try to install the game from scratch. If you have been having the problem since launch i would recommend trying a different method of installing than you did before. By this i mean if you downloaded the launcher off of the website i would try the Torrent Version this time and visa versa.

I hope this helps you, i still ended up having the same character select problem when i used the torrent button. But after i changed my settings from User to Medium i haven't had a single issue since... if this problem persists maybe someone with more knowledge can assist further.
I do have live installed and that might had something to do with this (which came with installing our 3.0 patch). Gonna give it a try and hopefully that'll do it. Thanks for the thorough response.

I do have live installed and that might had something to do with this (which came with installing our 3.0 patch). Gonna give it a try and hopefully that'll do it. Thanks for the thorough response.

yvw, i really hope you get it working.. not being able to swap character's on the fly is a pain the royal seeds.

After deleting the Archeage files under my Documents several times because the issue kept coming back, I looked at the logs in that folder.
When the screen doesn't come back from black:
YEc5ck3.png

I tend to set my Shader Detail to Low because I prefer planting my aquafarm without getting a headache.

Tested a few times and found if your Shader Detail setting under Quality is High or Very High, the character select screen seems to work fine.
yWAug1i.png

Hi guys...i solved my problem with black screen... i dont know if it is the same issue like yours. My problem was when i switch character, i got a disconected sound... i fix it reading this same issue in a offcial topic AA. Go to quality options and select HIGH RESOLUTIONS and apply the option, close the game. Open game again and test switching caracters...now its work for me... after that u can choose ur USER option again now, how u like. i hope its works for u guys.

I had heard about that having a degree of success.
While that fixs it when its a confliction from 2.9 settings and newly generated 3.0 settings. It doesn't always work
Good to know it's a simple case solution though

I have also had success with the Low preset settings. So, my work around of turning up the Shader Detail is probably only useful if you're using high/very high preset.

Adjusting the Shader Details works like a charm for me. I didn't delete anything on my files.

Thank you Deyhauk!

Attachments

• shader detail AA.png
    shader detail AA.png
    162.2 KB · Views: 502
Yes I've heard a lot of reports from players that adjusting the shader settings works.

Back