What's new

Cleric Build suggestions?

jsaden

Hey, So i've played archeage a fair amount, but was always melee, shadowblade or DR or abolisher, or something like that. Never played a healer, would love a build or some advice on how to play? It always seems to be needed so i'd like to give it a try. I assume it'll be used in both pve and pvp? not sure

Any advice ? Thanks

I change my build according to the needs of the moment. Play with it and see what works for the stuff you do, and don't feel like you can't tweak things for specific situations. I do recommend the loudspeaker and other song passive that extends the time of songs. Songs grow in intensity over time so having them last longer and waiting till they are expiring to renew is important. Also, don't song over a better geared healer. The last cast song is the one that counts so if your heal power is low and you do that you are canceling the songs of someone who is doing the raid more good. I've seen raids wipe over this kind of stupidity.

Depends. Both are good, but it depends on the size of the group and what you are doing, and what the other healers are doing and have spec'd. Lots of people think of Clerics as mindless song bots, but there is a lot more to it. I like to split heals between vit and songs and work with another cleric alternating between songs and resurge/mend etc. If done right songs will not drain your mana, so when mana gets low I swap back to songs. If another cleric does the same thing we can keep the whole raid covered with both at all times. That's for big raid heals, which I don't really do much on this server. In smaller groups it's a whole different dynamic.

For some situations I put more into Auromancy. If I'm pocketing for an initiator, which I actually love to do more than anything else, I need auro for mobility, esp if the guy has teleport.

I always have thwart spec'd no matter what. It improves heals for myself or others, and makes a nasty little combo with vicious implode, then skewer of course. If dps is weak it can help to give them a bit of support that way when the other cleric is doing songs, just be careful not to mess up bubble or other stuff the others might be doing. You'll also need to work on positioning. Where you are in the raid can make a big difference to how long you survive. As a cleric expect to be a prime target.

I'm assuming we are tlking pvp here, pve is different.

k, i haven't done much large raid, i think just obnce on retail, two big balls ran at each other, i sit in the back? or in the middle? or away from their DRs?

pve i assume is fairly simple, ill probably figure it out halfway through a run :p

Good luck staying away from the DRs. What you need are other DRs or DR slayers to peel you. That means they keep track of you and anybody targeting you they kill. Consider Templar or Soothsayer builds as well. I find Soothsayer is my main right now, despite years of Cleric being my main. Templar is more tanky, and if you do it right you can still heal others through the extra protection for yourself. It's not just invince and self heals. I'm a terrible Templar so that's all theoretical for me. I have several versions of Soothsayer I use, sometimes more for mobility, or stealth, or dps. The weapon I have works really well for that. I've tried Argent, but so far I still dps better as Sooth, but maybe I need to work on Argent more. Soothsayer is great for stealth too, which, as a pirate, is very important for me. Yes, the stealth heals are handy, but there is a lot more to soothsayer than that.

Don't use the build winglord posted, that build would get you killed instantly.

If you aren't a greatclub or a main ode, you don't need to be focusing on songs. Cleric is good because it's got the highest healing output due to zeal and healing hymn. Ode is amazing, but again if you aren't a main ode type or you have low healing power don't worry about it.

You shouldn't be holding songs for long, you lose out on potential healing through vitalism. The ideal rotation is to play either attack or defense song, then immediately switch to real healing. Does it take a lot of mana? Yes but that's how cleric is played correctly. There's very few people that can sit there and hold songs due to high healing power.

For a beginner use this build.
http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/495707
You need shrug it off in order to avoid being stunned, or get out of being sucked into a bunch of mages. If you're meditating in the middle of a raid, you're doing it wrong, learning how to use pots on cooldown is the very first step.

As for songcraft, hold the note is a wasted skill, because of what I explained above. The idea is if multiple clerics are weaving songs, no song should ever be dropped. If you're alone in a raid or small scale, same principle applies. Play song, heal, play song.

There's more that I'm sure needs explaining, so if you have questions let me know.

Many of the songs stack to give all within range several kinds of boosts and you can use healing hymn to heal through them, so it's ridiculous to only be doing one song at a time. Only a lousy cleric will interrupt those for mends and stuff if another healer can cover that. Ideally you alternate with another cleric, and both of you have high healing power. One does songs, the other covers resurg/mend etc, then when your songs end, you swap, they pick them up, and you do the resurg/mend type heals. Taking advantage of hold the note properly takes more skill than many Clerics have but it is something you should work towards. It also requires that you have other highly skilled clerics to work with, and those can be scarce.

It takes some judgement and a great deal of situational awareness to know when to keep songing and when to interrupt. I have to always know where all the other healers are, and what they are doing on top of knowing what the raid is doing so I can position myself to surivive and heal the most. The more mobile a raid is, the harder this is to do. On ships it's fairly easy, but you have to coordinate with other healers about who stays on ship with the canoners, and who goes into the water, and then switch healing styles accordingly.

There is also a whole thing about whether to rez or not. I find I can rez as well as a cleric as I can as a soothsayer if I position myself well. If rewspawn is nearby it's better to have folks just release so you don't have to stop healing. On the sea often respawn is so far away that you really should rez. I'm not a fan of scroll rezzing because it brings people back with no mana and no health. I can fix the health, but not the mana (Infuse isn't that powerful). I'd rather do a real rez and have them ready for battle, if I can stop healing long enough.

You need to learn to ignore people yelling for rezzes and heals and use your own judgement. Sometimes the raid leader will tell you who to prioritize and I recommend going with that (even if you know they are wrong). There are idiots who refuse to stay within heal range and who get very salty about dying. Their deaths are their fault not yours, ignore them. Sometimes you have a choice to heal that one person and let the raid wipe, or ignore the idiots. Same thing goes for rezzes. In most raids you have a few people who are carrying the rest. You keep those alive, do what you can for the rest, and ignore the complaints. :)

Oh, boy, the more I see on it the more challenging it seems. This is why everyone just plays DR. Ty for the posts tho :)

Just got a t1 obsidian club celestial grade, gonna work on getting t1 celest obsidian cloths now. I assume thats normal?

Last edited:
Back