What's new

[Game Event] Gladiators Death Match (discussion)

Ariess

Staff member
Elder
1610497941294.png

Gladiators! To battle!
Well players you have been asking for PVP Death Match to return and now you get your wish! Coming soon Gladiators Death Match Returns!
At this time we want YOU the players to have a discussion about this tournament on some of formats and rules etc..
Some of the things we would like you to discuss.
1.Non-Balanced and Balanced tournament
2.Temp gear sets. things such as resilience and toughness Melee, Magic, Healer, and Ranged stats etc..
3.What rules would you like to see
4.Shall we stick with the 1v1,2v2 and 5v5 formats or what others would you like to see?
5.Location?
6.What days, time (EST format) would you like to see?
7.Any other things you would like to discuss about the death match.
We are very proud of our server and we love to bring the community here not just the content but also tourney's that you wont find in any other form of this game.
Lets get the discussion going and have fun with this and keep it on topic!

Last edited by a moderator:

Kiwidealerr

The past Gladiator tournaments offered a lot of potential that ultimately was never reached. I would love to see it brought back with a better format that could make it live up to its actual potential.

1. Non-Balanced and Balanced tournament:
-One downside to the past tournament was that you had to be sub 5k GS in order to attend while the avg top high GS was around 7-9k meaning you had to wear much weaker gear in order to be able to even participate. I remember having to only wear 4 /7 pieces of leather and my weapon or my GS was too high for the requirement. Do NOT put a GS cap on a tournament that is literally called GLADIATOR tournament.

-If you're trying to include the lower GS players then make a separate tournament for that instead of trying to mix them in with the uncapped GS tournament. Personally I don't think that the current "balanced arenas" are actually well balanced for all classes and that needs to be re looked at if you're going to have a "balanced tournament". One example is mages/healers have such a ridiculously high cast time making it very difficult to combo properly vs a melee/archer who don't have to cast in the current balanced arenas.

2.Temp gear sets. things such as resilience and toughness Melee, Magic, Healer, and Ranged stats etc.. :
-I don't think that temp gear sets should be a thing unless it is for the balanced tournament. (You should have both a balanced and uncapped GS tournament not just 1 of the two). If you decide not to have 2 diff types of tournament and insist on a balanced one, make it balanced by giving everyone epic t6 obsidian with leg t7 weapons that all expire within a timed limit. Those who register for the tournament would get a "redeem your tournament gear" on the website similar to claiming a support package. I would suggest Hiram gear over obsidian but there was talk about admins not being able to spawn Hiram gear with perfect rolls so obsidian would probably be most ideal.

3.What rules would you like to see:
-The way that the tournaments were ran in the past caused them to implode on themselves. There was a real struggle with organization side of it from both the admins and players as you had to sign up through the forum site in order to attend in game but then they would allow random players that just showed up without registration in the tournament anyway. If you're going to have a registration process, stick to it and don't let randoms show up and join.

-At some point there were tournaments that only had 1-2 other teams competing and thus anyone who showed up would automatically win 1st, 2nd or 3rd prizes without having to fight more than 1x. If not enough players show up/register, the event should just be cancelled or postponed.

-Players should not be able to join multiple teams when competing in the same event. If you have a 2v2 team, that should be your ONLY 2v2 team and you shouldn't have the ability to join up with another person and compete in the same event (this happened before in the past where 1 person would be in 3 different 2v2 teams and ultimately made the finals with 2/3 teams causing them to win both 1st and 2nd place).

-The past tournaments were held in Karkasse by RD spawn which would give players a large amount of room to move and fight in. I would like to see some boundaries around whatever area that the tournament is held as well as a time limit for the fights that way they don't just drag on forever.

4.Shall we stick with the 1v1,2v2 and 5v5 formats or what others would you like to see?
-I think that the format of 1v1, 2v2, and 5v5 is fine but I would love to see a 3v3 or a 10v10 as possible future choices.

5.Location :
-As mentioned before, Karkasse by where RD spawns was where the previous tournaments were held and I think this spot is solid since there aren't many open areas such as this one, my only concern is lack of boundaries with it. A possible thought would be the TWT center island as it is large and could have anything that falls out be considered "out of bounds". The old 10v10 arena or 5v5 arena had a cool map with boxes and what not to fight around, if you could make that happen that would be cool too.

-Sunday was when the previous ones were held and I think its the best day for these however this needs to be in a time zone where the players from China/Europe/NA all have the ability to attend.

- Have a bracket system that is similar to other sports when a tournament is happening. Display and update the bracket system as the tournament proceeds on the main site and keep it there similar to how the site showed the top 10 gs of the server with their name/race and what not. This would be a cool way to display to the community who participated in what and would honor the winners for the week that it happened.

jerrod

Structure.

That's the only thing that the previous iterations of the arenas were missing. There was no strictly clear ruleset, or method of joining, it was a 'you show up, you fight' style of play. Having an official bracket for each step of the way would be a great benefit to the competitors and the people running the tournament. There's plenty of bracket generators as well. This is the one we used to use: https://challonge.com/

Ariess

Staff member
Elder
Thanks for the comments so far some interesting things to look at. Keep them coming folks

Thriem

The past Gladiator tournaments offered a lot of potential that ultimately was never reached. I would love to see it brought back with a better format that could make it live up to its actual potential.

1. Non-Balanced and Balanced tournament:
-One downside to the past tournament was that you had to be sub 5k GS in order to attend while the avg top high GS was around 7-9k meaning you had to wear much weaker gear in order to be able to even participate. I remember having to only wear 4 /7 pieces of leather and my weapon or my GS was too high for the requirement. Do NOT put a GS cap on a tournament that is literally called GLADIATOR tournament.

-If you're trying to include the lower GS players then make a separate tournament for that instead of trying to mix them in with the uncapped GS tournament. Personally I don't think that the current "balanced arenas" are actually well balanced for all classes and that needs to be re looked at if you're going to have a "balanced tournament". One example is mages/healers have such a ridiculously high cast time making it very difficult to combo properly vs a melee/archer who don't have to cast in the current balanced arenas.

2.Temp gear sets. things such as resilience and toughness Melee, Magic, Healer, and Ranged stats etc.. :
-I don't think that temp gear sets should be a thing unless it is for the balanced tournament. (You should have both a balanced and uncapped GS tournament not just 1 of the two). If you decide not to have 2 diff types of tournament and insist on a balanced one, make it balanced by giving everyone epic t6 obsidian with leg t7 weapons that all expire within a timed limit. Those who register for the tournament would get a "redeem your tournament gear" on the website similar to claiming a support package. I would suggest Hiram gear over obsidian but there was talk about admins not being able to spawn Hiram gear with perfect rolls so obsidian would probably be most ideal.

3.What rules would you like to see:
-The way that the tournaments were ran in the past caused them to implode on themselves. There was a real struggle with organization side of it from both the admins and players as you had to sign up through the forum site in order to attend in game but then they would allow random players that just showed up without registration in the tournament anyway. If you're going to have a registration process, stick to it and don't let randoms show up and join.

-At some point there were tournaments that only had 1-2 other teams competing and thus anyone who showed up would automatically win 1st, 2nd or 3rd prizes without having to fight more than 1x. If not enough players show up/register, the event should just be cancelled or postponed.

-Players should not be able to join multiple teams when competing in the same event. If you have a 2v2 team, that should be your ONLY 2v2 team and you shouldn't have the ability to join up with another person and compete in the same event (this happened before in the past where 1 person would be in 3 different 2v2 teams and ultimately made the finals with 2/3 teams causing them to win both 1st and 2nd place).

-The past tournaments were held in Karkasse by RD spawn which would give players a large amount of room to move and fight in. I would like to see some boundaries around whatever area that the tournament is held as well as a time limit for the fights that way they don't just drag on forever.

-I think that the format of 1v1, 2v2, and 5v5 is fine but I would love to see a 3v3 or a 10v10 as possible future choices.

5.Location :
-As mentioned before, Karkasse by where RD spawns was where the previous tournaments were held and I think this spot is solid since there aren't many open areas such as this one, my only concern is lack of boundaries with it. A possible thought would be the TWT center island as it is large and could have anything that falls out be considered "out of bounds". The old 10v10 arena or 5v5 arena had a cool map with boxes and what not to fight around, if you could make that happen that would be cool too.

-Sunday was when the previous ones were held and I think its the best day for these however this needs to be in a time zone where the players from China/Europe/NA all have the ability to attend.

- Have a bracket system that is similar to other sports when a tournament is happening. Display and update the bracket system as the tournament proceeds on the main site and keep it there similar to how the site showed the top 10 gs of the server with their name/race and what not. This would be a cool way to display to the community who participated in what and would honor the winners for the week that it happened.
I agree with Kiwi on all points here. I was thinking in the same direction but was not sure how to word it.

Different locations with natural obstacles and have it be randomized would would spice things up a bit.

Two different tournaments is imo the best way to go. It will allow the high Gear people not feel gimped and lose the "gladiator" feel and the equalized tourney will allow players working on gear to have fun not feeling left out. A player should only be allowed to sign up for one event if you make both balanced and non-balanced tournaments