What's new

Is It Time For A New Server?

Tiptoe

I don't want to offend anyone, I'd just like to get people's opinions.

I stopped playing ArcheRage some time ago. Not because there was anything wrong with the game. It's a superb game and so vastly superior to the official version, that there's really no comparison.

What stopped me playing was because I was 'finished'. I had all the land and upgraded houses I wanted. I'd trained all my proficiencies. I'd reached Archemaster. I'd earned 100k in gold. I just felt like there were no more goals for me to work towards.

ArcheRage is getting old now. Perhaps it's just me, but I feel AA is at its best when it's new and fresh. This is something Trion actually got right. Releasing regular 'Fresh Start' servers was a brilliant move (for a short while at least). For a few months, that server was vibrant and alive, but inevitably, it started to decline (sadly, this just seems to be the natural life cycle of AA).

I'm currently playing 'ArcheAge Unchained'. Because I just couldn't resist the lure of that 'fresh start'. But it's really awful. ArcheRage blows it out of the water in every way.

So why aren't I playing ArcheRage? Because it's too old, too well established. And I really want that 'fresh start' experience. Even if it means giving up everything.

But what do you folks think? If they released a new server, would you be willing to start all over again? Or would you just keep playing on the old server?

For me personally I'd be back in a heartbeat. In fact, I think it would bring a lot of former players back. But that's just me.

Anyway, this is just something I wanted to toss out there for consideration.

cover2.jpg

You can't deny that the game gets dull/boring at times due to having everything. I feel a lot of ppl went to AAU for the hype/freshness/starting on same level as everyone else. And the fact that its different then AR as well.

Hi, well.. different people have different goals, for me not only is the game very well made but this server is perfect for me, because being married, with a job I don't have to play 24/7 to have good labor, while in the official ones its a terrible grind.

The good thing (for me) about the game is that it's never finished... I hate fresh start! lol, also lots of people don't realize that PVP is a huge part of the game, whether you like it or not, the politics involved, the rivalry between guilds, the awesome PVP that might occur, and when it works it really works, I remember an awesome MM battle where we all stood together against the PN and the East was amazing, the gearing your character for it not to be 1 shot, the gathering of pets, mounts, etc etc etc.

I respect your opinion, I just disagree with it 100% lol, there should be a balance between farming, pvp, questing, etc, if peoples goals are just to have land and farm mushrooms, then they just reached 10% of the games potential :)

Well to be fair, this thread isn't to look for a solution xd they just want "the fresh start experience".

And if you wanna be really cheesy, "What stopped me playing was because I was 'finished'." -> Start a new account, have your old one banned, and start over? XD

I disagree 100%. I would stick to this server because I do not want to grind all the crap I have again. Not only that, but fresh start servers will just split the population up -- is the population not low enough right now?

"I had all the land and upgraded houses I wanted. I'd trained all my proficiencies. I'd reached Archemaster. I'd earned 100k in gold. I just felt like there were no more goals for me to work towards. "

Did you not work on gear? Did you reach rank 1 or even hit the ranking list? A lot of the game for me is working on my gear, for PvP or PvE. Proficiencies are not terribly complicated, you grow them by playing the game. Archemaster meaning the title, right? What about the hundreds of other titles? I don't think ArcheMaster is much, considering Abyssal Archemaster and the next tier after that exists. Nor do I think I could ever have enough gold, let alone 100k.

I think that you set your goals and didn't expand on them any further. I feel like I am drowning in all of the things I could have, could do, could experience. The list of goals is endless. But that's how I play. Like Gengdi said, this game is never finished.

But you make this game what you want it to be. If that's all you think it takes to finish this game, in your experience, then do what Aviendha said, haha. "Start a new account, have your old one banned, and start over." There's the New Game, "Fresh Start experience" for you. And you could do that in the time it takes them to ban your account.

I just do not get it or see the point. It is pretty much "Oh I'm bored because I did ABCD" I have been on this server for two years. I just reached 9K GS and I am still working on gearing, farming, upgrading, etc. I think for most of us yes we have reached some goals but we have not reached all of our goals. Even the top geared people want more.

I feel like this is more of a " I wanna start fresh with EVERYONE so we are all on equal footing and can see who can land grab the fastest on a new server".
So I'm gonna have to vote No.

Others have pointed out how to "start over". Just be honest and say its not just you who you want to start over with, its everyone - to which at a certain point I can understand. I'm salty about how there's not much available land to buy in certain parts, but that's how Archeage is sometimes. It's a competitive game, almost teetering on being an E-Sport, and with competition you will have this.

But like I said, I understand what you mean. Or at least I think I do. Apologies if I missed the mark and got it wrong.

ArcheRage is getting old now. Perhaps it's just me, but I feel AA is at its best when it's new and fresh. This is something Trion actually got right. Releasing regular 'Fresh Start' servers was a brilliant move (for a short while at least). For a few months, that server was vibrant and alive, but inevitably, it started to decline (sadly, this just seems to be the natural life cycle of AA).

Trion got it wrong, though. I mean, they got it right for their pockets with the XL devs even stating in an interview years back that Legacy was such a failure at this point because of Fresh Starts, they were developing 3.5+ patches with Fresh Starts in mind because of how surprisingly lucrative they were. When you branch the population with the allure of "new" and "fresh", you further segment the population. ArcheRage already has a population problem, a fresh start would fragment the population even more. When you start over on a game that has existed for years, you're playing against 2 major groups of people: the gullible ones who truly think they'll be on equal footing with everyone else, and the smart ones who know the tips and tricks to get ahead faster. Both of those groups are incredibly different from each other and inevitably there is a divide between them so large, one of the sets of people outright quits. When they quit, they go back to a place they thought was familiar, get overwhelmed by how "far behind" they are now that they spent months on another fresh start, and they leave altogether.

So...no. It isn't time for a new server. Because a new server is never the answer, it's adding a single band-aid to a compound fracture expecting it to be the magical cure.

I don't want to offend anyone, I'd just like to get people's opinions.

I stopped playing ArcheRage some time ago. Not because there was anything wrong with the game. It's a superb game and so vastly superior to the official version, that there's really no comparison.

What stopped me playing was because I was 'finished'. I had all the land and upgraded houses I wanted. I'd trained all my proficiencies. I'd reached Archemaster. I'd earned 100k in gold. I just felt like there were no more goals for me to work towards.

I'm currently playing 'ArcheAge Unchained'. Because I just couldn't resist the lure of that 'fresh start'. But it's really awful. ArcheRage blows it out of the water in every way.

So why aren't I playing ArcheRage? Because it's too old, too well established. And I really want that 'fresh start' experience. Even if it means giving up everything.

But what do you folks think? If they released a new server, would you be willing to start all over again? Or would you just keep playing on the old server?

For me personally I'd be back in a heartbeat. In fact, I think it would bring a lot of former players back. But that's just me.

Anyway, this is just something I wanted to toss out there for consideration.
Just wondering what your gear score is ?

This is a stupid idea! Why cut a player base that is allready struggling. True it may bring in some new players for a while but then like this person they would be bored and stop playing. He would then post stupid proposals and we would be where we are right now. There is always events going on try attending them. Don’t fuck shit up for everyone who has divoted so much time and sometimes rl money because your “bored” of growing crops all day.

Last edited:

Sounds like it's time to find a new game... move on with life and end relationship with Archeage once and for all...

That is advice we should all be taking ourselves eventually :p

I understand where you are coming from, the level of entertainment on a fresh server and the population that goes along with that activity really can't ever be replicated by one that has been out for a while. However, to some there can still be a lot of enjoyment in playing a longstanding server that doesn't cannibalize it's population every 1-2 years. Unfortunately, while I sympathize with your perspective, I don't think the devs here are going to make a fresh start based on the previous information they've given to us (I suppose this could change potentially one day, but we'll see). Don't sweat it if you can't enjoy or bring yourself to do more on ArcheRage in it's current state.

I understand where you are coming from, the level of entertainment on a fresh server and the population that goes along with that activity really can't ever be replicated by one that has been out for a while. However, to some there can still be a lot of enjoyment in playing a longstanding server that doesn't cannibalize it's population every 1-2 years. Unfortunately, while I sympathize with your perspective, I don't think the devs here are going to make a fresh start based on the previous information they've given to us (I suppose this could change potentially one day, but we'll see). Don't sweat it if you can't enjoy or bring yourself to do more on ArcheRage in it's current state.

While I would like to entertain the idea of a new server for the fresh start - it would only be fair to me and the people who play on it. Sure starting off on an even level with everyone at first would be fun. But sooner rather than later the newness will soon lose its luster and the sinking feeling of having to grind progress all over again would be insurmountable. What about all those people (including myself) who paid real $$$ to the server to get marketplace shinies only to have to do it all over again on a new server? Wouldnt be fair to those folks, myself included. Even if the server admins allowed us to carry over those "shinies" from the marketplace - you still have to take into account of all the hours upon hours of grinding gear and everything else. Like I said, sure at first it would be cool and new and neat but then you are always going to remember what you have on "the old server" thousands of gilda worth of vehicles, houses, ships, etc. Then you will think - "man... I gotta get all that stuff I grinded on the old server just to have that same QoL on this one" and then reality sets in.

Also, say they did do a fresh start and add a brand new server, it would fragment the population further (as some have already pointed out) and what about the newcomers who come a year after this fresh start server is released and they too - want a new server to start fresh on, then the cycle begins again.

The only reason new servers are justified are:
A.) Exploring a new ruleset that is game-changing to the degree that said ruleset would be utterly detrimental to the "native" server (like Permadeath, full loot PVP..etc).
B.) Population issues, such as too little populations scattered around several servers - with which said populations are usually migrated to an already existing server.
C.) Population issues, such as a server having too many people and then having to create a new server to thin out the population on the "native" server.
D.) A catastrophic server issue or database issue which equates to a wipe and everyone is basically forced to be "fresh start".

A fresh start server is a great idea whereas at first would be great but then would soon lose its luster, and there are not enough people (IMHO) playing on this server to warrant one.

Having played MMOs for almost 20 years now, I can tell you from experience that fresh starts with old content can wear itself out fast. What I've found works best is to find a creative outlet that challenges you. Here's some suggestions:

1) Territory Control
Classic PvP does provide a lot of unique variables to plan around, but generally the ranks tend to organize themselves over time between the wolves and the sheep. Getting involved in some sort of Territory Control metagame, whether enforced by gameplay or driven by player incentives, gets around these limitations by introducing the time-honored chaos that is politics into that mix of conflict. Yes, powerful guilds eventually rise above and sometimes oppress the others, but it usually takes longer for these sorts of conflicts to congeal given the added layers of interaction necessary.

2) Themed Alternate Characters / Builds
Fashion Souls (and other naming variants such as Fashionframe) have become indicative of the appeal of taking a game's limited customization mechanics and twisting it into something with an intent on creativity or form over sheer power and substance. While not always competitive, games like City of Heroes have proven that you can build an entire metagame out of alt-itis.

3) Active Community Events
What drew me into MMOs as far back as Ultima Online was the early community's willingness to openly broadcast their intent to do something and invite everyone else to help them do it. Whether it was something as meaningless as a virtual fair, a glorified farmer's market, sitting around a campfire, or running a guild-hosted meet-and-greet party, simply having someone take the time to step forward and attempt to organize an activity gives any multiplayer game an organic feel no amount of content can match.

4) GM-Sponsored World Events
This requires more finesse and a willingness on the host's end to pull off. However, this was the main draw for me personally to get involved in early MMORPGs before activities became baked into the gameplay as things such as seasonal events. I see this most often in private servers, and if done with a strong enough narrative (rather than simply spawning X number of mobs without much foreshadowing) it can result in some truly lasting experiences. Especially if the manufactured crisis is designed to leave a lasting impact if the fires are not otherwise put out on the spot...

Even if you decide to move to another game, you may want to consider looking out for something like the above to hold your interest longer.

Last edited:
@Mitis I just remembered how much fun I had pre 3.5.
Today I just log in to do my lib earring quests and maybe do halcy & hasla then either afk or log off again.
I really miss progressing my gear and making gold. 3.5 ruined flipping gear because suddenly everyone had the ability to roll best in slot gear, handicraft slowly got worse as income because everyone started doing it. Aquafarms died entirely as suddenly nobody bought any oils anymore or you just crafted way too many as you could ever sell. 4.0 butchered cooking which was already hard to make gold with. Handicraft became entirely pointless as new gems only require 20K proficiency and all the other gems we kept from 3.5 are crafted by using drops from attenting certain events instead of giving them actual receipes. Oils were nice for a bit and it revived aquafarms when it required 30 sunset pearls to cloak obsidian, then immediately got killed again when it was lowered to only require 1. Population has dropped and I simply cannot do what I used to enjoy the most - flipping stuff. + We're on a 1 shot patch and I actually get 2 shot by people like droth who pioneer tigerstrike precision strike me, even though I'm running around in almost 30K hp at close to 11K gs with 15K pdef in raids.

Last edited:
Back