What's new

Neutral Guards Debate.

Should Neutral Guard Effectiveness Be Improved?

• Total voters

Sjinderson

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Dear players!

As stronger gear enters the world of ArcheAge these Guards which are there to protect those in areas supposed to be considered safe can no longer do their job as unlike players Guards never scale up.
You have seen us previously make Guards deal siege damage to stop players tanking them with a ship. But now this is no longer necessary as a player can do the job themselves.
For this reason we have discussed the situation and feel Guards are weak in current ArcheRage.
Before any change is made we put forward a debate for you to decide on if Guards need another tune up.

Neutral Guards

Examples of this can be increased damage, healing negation on target, or other adjustments.

If voted in favour Guards will get changes based on player response. However final decision is up to Administrations discretion.
If not in favour. Guards will receive no changes.

I have mixed feelings about this, tbh. Atm, during pvp in areas like Diamond Shores, one of the parties, usually the weaker one, already tends to hide under the cannons, using it to their advantage in PvP. Same happens with guards, but with the stronger party instead of the weaker.

I don't think in that sense changing the guards would make a difference in sense of "unfairness". With current guards, or improved guards, there's always gonna be a side misusing it.

I like the idea of buffing them.
It's just stupid that healers tank them and their Teammates can easily attack for example the Guy who wants to turn his packs in.

Guards are supposed to help the Player which gets attacked.

I like the idea of buffing them.
It's just stupid that healers tank them and their Teammates can easily attack for example the Guy who wants to turn his packs in.

Guards are supposed to help the Player which gets attacked.

Technically, guards do help. I always experience near nonstop cc.. and I think if you have enough people, they can still take away guard aggro while others kill the targets, even if they are buffed. And the other way around, people could fight under it like they fight under cannons. As I said, misuse is possible either way.

When I was just starting, some 7k GS ranged character purpled and tried to PK my party of two in Windscour. He was standing on top of a low building but the guards couldn't get to him. Luckily, we didn't die because one of us was a healer and we ended up killing him instead. Remembering that, I suggest giving guards ranged attacks or adding some archer/caster type of guards. I'm not sure how the neutral guards prioritize attacks, but do they attack the guy who makes the first hit?

Not sure if possible, but could they force target change to them for surrounding players? maybe with a heavy reflect effect on the guards.
I don't agree with aviendha's point of they being abused regardless because that would only apply to active pvp(an attacker and someone willing to fight back), meanwhile those that try to avoid it due to any reason still get killed when standing in the middle of a few guards(I'm a tank with support pack gear and I've been killed a few times next to guards).

Not sure if possible, but could they force target change to them for surrounding players? maybe with a heavy reflect effect on the guards.
I don't agree with aviendha's point of they being abused regardless because that would only apply to active pvp(an attacker and someone willing to fight back), meanwhile those that try to avoid it due to any reason still get killed when standing in the middle of a few guards(I'm a tank with support pack gear and I've been killed a few times next to guards).
If no attack is done Guards won't react.
When I was just starting, some 7k GS ranged character purpled and tried to PK my party of two in Windscour. He was standing on top of a low building but the guards couldn't get to him. Luckily, we didn't die because one of us was a healer and we ended up killing him instead. Remembering that, I suggest giving guards ranged attacks or adding some archer/caster type of guards. I'm not sure how the neutral guards prioritize attacks, but do they attack the guy who makes the first hit?
Guards have different variations with some having ranged attacks.

I'm not sure how the neutral guards prioritize attacks, but do they attack the guy who makes the first hit?

They prioritise whoever hits first yes, and fair point, many archers stay in a spot where guards can't reach them and kill people that way. Simply making guards stronger won't affect that.

My scenario isn't about a single player that might get zerged by a group or get one shot by a BD, it's about a group pvp. I have seen that before.

While we're on the topic of guards, can we zoom in on the pirate ones? I think the fact that we can kill them makes them a tad bit useless.

They're killable to those who can attack them.
For Neutral Guards pirates can kill them. Though they respawn quickly.

This debate however is for Neutral Guards and not pirate guards. Pirate guards are intentionally weak.

They prioritise whoever hits first yes, and fair point, many archers stay in a spot where guards can't reach them and kill people that way. Simply making guards stronger won't affect that.
How about improving their lasso so they even lasso through buildings (For players on the roof)
No one can't avoid them then
Or give them shadowstep with a higher range than normal idk

Lol of course pirate guards are intentionally weak, not sure why because every faction should have their own guards as strong as the other. With PN probably going bye bye, pirate is going to be the only outside faction. It should be better, but eh.
As for Neutral, something should happen with em, because sometimes they are easily manipulated. So yeah a buff may be in order, specially as Hiram grows stronger and stronger

Lol of course pirate guards are intentionally weak, not sure why because every faction should have their own guards as strong as the other. With PN probably going bye bye, pirate is going to be the only outside faction. It should be better, but eh.

ye idk why we can't also talk about these tbh and why they are intentionally weaker ._.

guards should just lock or "cage" players that initiate along with thier raid/party within range and disable abilities for some time until thier dead or manage to get away after the lock.

cage can be a skill guards channel if thats possible

idk why people should be able to escape them anyways, not like you're gonna kill a guard without cheesing and it doesn't make sense practically for people to be killing others infront of guards

I also think guards should give a defence buff to players being hit when they're in AOE like "guards protection" or something, similar to the buff when doing the RD event but obv not as strong

also please remove insta aggro from pirates to neutral guards or give us ports where we don't have to remove gear to avoid durability decrease

Last edited:
guards should just lock or "cage" players that initiate along with thier raid/party within range and disable abilities for some time until thier dead or manage to get away after the lock.

cage can be a skill guards channel if thats possible

idk why people should be able to escape them anyways, not like you're gonna kill a guard without cheesing and it doesn't make sense practically for people to be killing others infront of guards

I also think guards should give a defence buff to players being hit when they're in AOE like "guards protection" or something, similar to the buff when doing the RD event but obv not as strong

also please remove insta aggro from pirates to neutral guards or give us ports where we don't have to remove gear to avoid durability decrease
Neutral Guards killing pirates on site is not for debate in this and isn't going to be changed early

Neutral Guards killing pirates on site is not for debate in this and isn't going to be changed early

ik this thread isn't about pirates but can we get an alternative from having to either port to exeloch dungeon or stealth and cross fingers if we don't want to go through two loading screens, esp with reedwind

As for Neutral, something should happen with em, because sometimes they are easily manipulated. So yeah a buff may be in order, specially as Hiram grows stronger and stronger
The Pirate mechanic was created as a punishment for players that earned crime/Infamy pts to the point of becoming Pirate. It originally was not intended to be it's own Nation like it did in later patches. That is why Pirates have so many disadvantages because it is another manner of consolidating power from both factions like Player Nations do.

On the topic of guards getting buffed up I think that is a good idea. It is too easy to grief or kill players even when guards are around. Most geared healers can tank 4-5 guards with little issue and that should not be a thing imo. No player no matter class or gear should be able to tank several guards at once. I have taken advantage of this many times as a healer and it should not be that way.

Back