What's new

Race Change Suggestion

vulgrr

So we all know 3.0 is coming, we just don't know when. Specific suggestions related to the 3.0 patch aren't requested yet by the staff, but I have a suggestion that could apply to any patch, just not specifically 3.0.

A lot of us are really partial to the new races 3.0 offers. I know I am personally partial to the Warborn, because they're freakin amazing.

That being said, I'd like to formally request the ability to change races. Given that this is all just data on the server side, this is more than possible, but I'd imagine requires a little bit of work. Some suggestions to make the transition between races easier would be as follows:

ONLY ALLOW LV 55 characters to race change. This alleviates the pressure of figuring out quests from a database perspective.

ENSURE An account has at least one open character slot. If it does not, do not allow the race change until a slot is opened.

VALIDATE the character requesting a race change has no mail, no incoming trade pack mail, or any auction house listings. This will save backend work. If they do have any of this, they will lose it.

Assume a Harani character named Vulgrr wants to change to a Warborn:

1. Create the requested character and race in the DB, with a AlphaGUID appended in part to the end of the current characters name. So, you'd have the Harani Vulgrr, then the warborn VulgrrAIFTAB

2. Elevate VulgrrAIFTAB to 55.

3. Mark all racial story line quests (gilda quests especially) to complete. Regular quests can be left open. Rewards from those won't unbalance the game. This will likely be the most difficult part to script. I don't know how quests are outlined in the database. Someone might have to manually write a script for these rows for each of the racial questlines.

4. Copy the table for Vulgrr's warehouse into VulgrrAIFTAB's warehouse.

5. Copy the table for Vulgrr's skill trees into VulgrrAIFTAB's skilltrees

6. Apply Vulgrr's class table and stat table (Intelligence, Strength, Agility, etc. Stat migrations) to VulgrrAIFTAB's class table and stat table. To alleviate pressure, if necessary, ignore any spent skill points. Force the player to respec skills. Not the end of the world

7. Apply Vulgrr's inventory table to VulgrrAIFTAB's inventory table. Scan for bound items. If items are bound to Vulgrr, mark them as bound to VulgrrAIFTAB as well. I'm not sure if this is necessary, as I don't fully know how the server treats bound items if directly injected into a character via the DB. Items might be bound with GUID, if those exist per character. That wouldn't be a hard field to modify.

7.a If the above is not possible, have the query generate mail with the items instead.

8. Property transference might be tricky. I can only think of three ways property exists and is marked as belonging to characters. It is either account ID then Character Name, Character GUID or just straight up Character name. If it is straight up Character name, or Account ID and Character Name then nothing would need to be done here. If it is GUID based, I would mark the property as belonging to the new character GUID (VulgrrAIFTAB) instead. This would include chests, and the bound items inside them.

9. Run Vulgrr through the standard Deletion process. Rename VulgrrAIFTAB to Vulgrr. If done right, the transfer to another race should be perfect. The only modification, if it exists, would be to the Character GUID. It would be the new one.

This of course assumes some things about the database structure. I'm not entirely sure if characters have GUIDs or not. There would still be a way to do this even if they didn't, but it'd be more tedious.

EDIT: Trion was lazy, and didn't want to do any of this. At the end of the day, MMOs are just databases. MAYBE some serialized XML data on a character basis as well. If dedication is put in, this is more than possible.

Performed some formatting

Last edited:
I'd really enjoy this as well, the only real objection I've heard was how they would go about changing the two racial abilities you get and fixing the racial quest line related stuff which you touched on.

I too wanted race change to be a possibility so I sent a ticket and the staff said it wouldn't be implemented. some of my friends opened a ticket about it as well and they were told it wouldn't be done mostly because of the green questline and other errors that would certainly come with it

for this to happen, if it's as hard and/or problematic as the staff says it is, they would have to spend a tremendous time working on it, as I imagine many people would love to change to the new races (even if it were only possible via donation)

I asked about an implementation of item transfer system, and this they said they'd double check, so maybe there's a chance we could make a character and transfer the items to that (within the same faction)

I want a Warborn, but i dont want to be on the east ........ YES please.
this would never be done, it would kill the purpose of having different races for different factions and I think it would be troublesome to make happen too

Last edited:
Please implement race change! I'm happy to donate for it. I'd also be okay with leveling a character from level 1 if necessary because of the race quests. But it's important that I keep my name, proficiency, properties, and items in my chests. Not sure if that's even possible but I think it's worth discussing. ;)

Please implement race change! I'm happy to donate for it. I'd also be okay with leveling a character from level 1 if necessary because of the race quests. But it's important that I keep my name, proficiency, properties, and items in my chests. Not sure if that's even possible but I think it's worth discussing. ;)

It is possible to do. It's all database oriented data. There are identifiers of some kind in that database that flag property as belonging to a specific person. Simply modifying that identifier to point to the new character would make it possible to move that property over to another individual. The difficulty comes with the requirement that they're going to need to write a rather lengthy (I assume SQL) query.

As for skills and job proficiency, that's possible as well. That would literally require a copy paste from one character to another. It's just the tedium in writing the script that is accessed from the webpage, which then interfaces with the database. That's the PITA part.

The only thing to keep in mind is we should find a solution to ensure elf, nuian, haranyan, and firran don't become obsolete. The transformations seemingly killed off other races so ideally the transformations should be nerfed, removed, or have new ones made available to all races.

I severely doubt the current races will ever get transformations. That would require development tools that the archerage team probably doesn't have. They would need to create new animations and 3D files and such for the old 4 races, 2 times each for males and females. Highly unlikely that can even happen.

As for keeping the current races relevant, that would be simple enough. Do not turn their passive racial abilities into one time use every 30 minutes abilities, and buff them from their current levels. So firrans fall damage reduction, for example, should be greatly buffed, and on all the time. Elves should get even faster swim speeds and longer breath bars all the time.

Orrr, u could just get them tradable gear sets and weapons, do the actual leveling, lore and ride the hype train like the rest of us ;)

Race change probably wont happen. Too many unforseen issues and if XL/Trion didn't offer it, which you know they would have offered it and charged a pretty penny if they could. There are too many variables that would have to be tested to make sure it went smoothly.

I mean if you can send an alt 100-150 gold, can have a few labor pots on your main, you can level an alt to 52 super quick processing dried flowers, chopped produce, ground grain, etc., and make a small profit if you sell it or you can just send mats to main and use them. If you plan to pick up a warborn or a dwarf, then plan now by investing in tradeable gear or saving for that obsidian upgrade to unbind it.

Trion was too stupid/lazy. You've seen how many times they've failed the most simple of tasks. It's just a database. MMO developers want to make data modifications as trivial as they possibly can. This shouldn't be a complex process. Testing can easily be done. Hell, Archerage devs could fire up a secondary server, have one person play on it, and do testing that way.

As for XL games, I dunno why they wouldn't, but they tend to be cheaper than Trion.

I mean im ways where this character could possibly follow potentally all racial questlines and possible unknown issues. This is one of those things that is much easier said than done and I doubt it will be offered.

If you read my suggestions on how to execute it though, nothing about your current character matters. You'd essentially create a clone, gather the necessary character data from the current one, and apply it (sans quests) to the new one. Then you'd elevate to 55, mark all the new characters racial quests as completed (very simple to do), mark property as belonging to it, delete the old one, and viola. New character. I suppose for the Transformation races, you can just supply the necessary transformation item, and off you go. It's easier than you think, if you understand databases. Trion just didn't want to do the work.

There is a POSSIBLE caveat though, that the game server itself might not load new characters if they're directly injected into the database while it's running, unless a regular creation request is made. Creation requests might have to be transmitted as though they came through the game client first. That would require packet crafting. Possible, but more complex. If creation requests are required, and none are made, the only time a directly injected character would work would be if the server was restarted. Less feasible.

Hi All!

The Race change will not be implemented on this server. Though it's easy to transfer lands and items, different races have their own questlines that vary depending on the faction and race. It's not an option just to mark quests as completed. These questlines, tasks are different and we can't equalize them for different Races as it's hard to compare them.

@Sparkle so theoretically, if some dedicated player went around collecting all racial storyline quests, and supplying that list, perhaps into a SQL Query, would it then be considered? Because the main part of the race change would be preventing abuse. Leaving regular white quests up should be fine, as none of those supply game/eco breaking items. I'd think the major concern would be disallowing a character from redoing racial quests for easy gilda.

Other than that, with the process of creating a new character, then copying stats off of an existing one, marking all those racial quests as complete, then deleting the old one, and supplying the two new races with their transformation items, the race change would be complete at that point wouldn't it?

There are a lot of factors and these changes may just cause extra problems for players and game in the whole. Race change in any of its variations will not be implemented.

There are a lot of factors and these changes may just cause extra problems for players and game in the whole. Race change in any of its variations will not be implemented.
In that case would you consider allowing the transfer of bound items to a new race character?

I would love to race change when new races are out, but things like my mythic costume and greatswlrd would prevent me from being able to do so.

Even if this were a paid feature, I’d be more than happy to donate for it.

In that case would you consider allowing the transfer of bound items to a new race character?

I would love to race change when new races are out, but things like my mythic costume and greatswlrd would prevent me from being able to do so.

Even if this were a paid feature, I’d be more than happy to donate for it.

No, this will not be done as well. Bound items will stay bound.

Back