What's new

Returning player here: is it P2W?

JohnFromSteam

Howdy! I've played AA US launch until a little before the new continent released due to how grindy and P2W I saw the game as. I saw a few posts saying you can get "credits" with money to accelerate your progression when it comes to end game stuff on this server. Is this true? If it is, I'd rather not play until another server pops out that's true F2P and has cosmetic stuff only. I have a few friends that would like to know too since we were all pretty invested into the game but bailed after we saw how exploitable it was when it came to being grindy and wallet munching.

Thanks for readin/replies!

The top 10-20 people swipe. Take that how you'd like it.

It's not AA bad as credits are far cheaper and get you a lot further than in Trion AA, but as long as there's a video game people will spend money to get ahead (including non cash shop games where people buy their stuff from playerauctions)

Archeage it self is designed to have a P2w element. This server also has it but the power of P2w is diminished since the credits are cheaper to purchase and the items cost less too. To be a legit whale you'd have to swipe for thousands and people that only paid $20 would still be on your heels as long as they know what they are doing. I do recommend donating something to the server if you enjoy it tho (once donations are available again).

F2P is perfectly viable in this server and its the people who put the most time efficiently in the game that are doing the best.

Also, i think people dont realize that its the demand of F2p players for credit packs (equivalent of Apex) and items from the cash shop that they dont want to pay cash for themselves that make P2w stronger. Put $20 into the game, only buy what you really need and you are helping to curve how strong P2w will be, while supporting this server and these devs.

The game was p2w, but it has problems with "donations" now. Whales have to play! This is a disaster. :D
The game is better than "official" servers. We have less whales, no multiaccount, free patron for all and more labor/day to spend.

The System is p2w. Landrush was pure credit shop "content". You pay = you got best spots. And large areas (2* 28x28 +16x16 in the 1st hours vs 16x16 after 2-4 days without credit item options). If you satrt later you will find land harder. Some of the lands will be free again because cheaters get ban + some of the starting players left the game. After 1-2 weeks this lands will be free to grab again. 1 vs 12 fun macro game.
And we will unlock Auroria castle zones in 19th November. That is many new lands. You will have chance to get lands in Auroria or in old contionents after this time.

Gear progression was p2w because you can sell credits vs in game currency and you can use credit shop resources without limitation (tax, charms, upgrade tickets, extreme material generator items).

The game is less p2w now.. .because nobody can pay real money to buy power now. :D

Archeage it self is designed to have a P2w element. .
No. P2w is greed only. P2w is the choice of producers. P2w = we are too stupid to get money with game and we are unable to keep players but we don't care.

Last edited:
I should note: I make more money farming per hour than I do just swiping. If I super whaled that would be different, but money in this game is easy to get if you work for it.

The game is less p2w now.. .because nobody can pay real money to buy power now. :D

Not really. The lack of ability to buy donate for credits lead to those who already swiped, the ability to make credit packs and sell them for much more than when we all could buy credits. Others offloaded some they had stocked up on previously.

The only way to keep P2w at a minimum is for everyone to spend a little bit of money and buy what they need directly instead of trading gold for credits or items from marketplace.

If you like this server, support it, as it seriously diminishes the power of p2w.

Howdy! I've played AA US launch until a little before the new continent released due to how grindy and P2W I saw the game as. I saw a few posts saying you can get "credits" with money to accelerate your progression when it comes to end game stuff on this server. Is this true? If it is, I'd rather not play until another server pops out that's true F2P and has cosmetic stuff only. I have a few friends that would like to know too since we were all pretty invested into the game but bailed after we saw how exploitable it was when it came to being grindy and wallet munching.

Thanks for readin/replies!

Keep moving bro, go wait for your "true f2p" AA that will never come. The fact that you wrote this post shows your laziness to this server, when in fact these questions have been answered through out the game debates section of this very forum post if you would take the time to actually read what the player's are saying.

ArcheAge never will nor EVER (for that matter) be a true F2P - if you don't want to show your support to the dev's of this server for bringing you free patron (to all characters) / 4x labor regen / decreased growth timers + increased gathering speeds / increased honor and vocation then this is def not the server for you and i think i speak for everyone by saying good riddance.

We've all played Trion's bs servers, so don't go trying to pull on any heart strings there bro you wont get any sympathy from this community.

I should note: I make more money farming per hour than I do just swiping. If I super whaled that would be different, but money in this game is easy to get if you work for it.

Insert coin mechanism in start was harder than your farming ability. That 100 gold/1000 credits was huge advantage for RM users. And good investment for others who keep or buy this credit items. It's 325 gold/1000 credit now. :)
+This extra resources gave gear and power advantage to cash users. And you will generate more money with your DPS or economic advantage.

Keep moving bro, go wait for your "true f2p" AA that will never come. The fact that you wrote this post shows your laziness to this server, when in fact these questions have been answered through out the game debates section of this very forum post if you would take the time to actually read what the player's are saying.

ArcheAge never will nor EVER (for that matter) be a true F2P - if you don't want to show your support to the dev's of this server for bringing you free patron (to all characters) / 4x labor regen / decreased growth timers + increased gathering speeds / increased honor and vocation then this is def not the server for you and i think i speak for everyone by saying good riddance.

We've all played Trion's bs servers, so don't go trying to pull on any heart strings there bro you wont get any sympathy from this community.
You don't have to be an ass, dude. Jesus....

I never wanted to get "sympathy", you're just making yourself look like a dick when I was just completely and honestly asking how the server is. I already saw other posts, but it was still not clear and concise enough, and to be fair they should post a sticky telling everyone of what is different in comparison.

I'll try out the server, but it seems you're telling me P2W is integral to the server, which is just as bad as Trion's BS. P2W is P2W, it is never justified, it is never needed, and can never be defended. Look at the backlash EA has gotten for Battlefront 2, for instance. If you think that any P2W system is there for supporting the developers, you're dead wrong. There are many many ways to support the devs of any private server or even main game just by pure cosmetics and has worked flawlessly and even boosted reviews of games massively due to such systems (Dota 2, Path of Exile etc. etc.). Not to mention to keep a server for AA up and development on it, it wouldn't require a lot of money if you only got donations. Hell, even for an old MMO I used to play that maxed out at around 1k players at any given time, they'd always have money from donations to keep the server up, and it's nowhere near as popular as this server. P2W is purely there by choice and no way is it integrated into AA, as like many people said, "you can be a free user just fine".

Last edited:

I never wanted to get "sympathy", you're just making yourself look like a dick when I was just completely and honestly asking how the server is. I already saw other posts, but it was still not clear and concise enough, and to be fair they should post a sticky telling everyone of what is different in comparison.

I'll try out the server, but it seems you're telling me P2W is integral to the server, which is just as bad as Trion's BS. P2W is P2W, it is never justified, it is never needed, and can never be defended. Look at the backlash EA has gotten for Battlefront 2, for instance. If you think that any P2W system is there for supporting the developers, you're dead wrong. There are many many ways to support the devs of any private server or even main game just by pure cosmetics and has worked flawlessly and even boosted reviews of games massively due to such systems (Dota 2, Path of Exile etc. etc.). Not to mention to keep a server for AA up and development on it, it wouldn't require a lot of money if you only got donations. Hell, even for an old MMO I used to play that maxed out at around 1k players at any given time, they'd always have money from donations to keep the server up, and it's nowhere near as popular as this server. P2W is purely there by choice and no way is it integrated into AA, as like many people said, "you can be a free user just fine".

Yes, i'm an asshole. Now that we have that established.

You say you didn't want any sympathy yet you give your whole speech about where you came from and why you quit, we really don't care about that. Ask the questions you want answered since they're no where listed on these forums.

I saw a few posts saying you can get "credits" with money to accelerate your progression when it comes to end game stuff on this server. Is this true?

- Can you p2w this game?
-- Yes

- Can you play completely f2p and be competitive?
-- No

- Can you play the game and have fun as p2w?
-- Yes

- Can you play the game and have fun as a F2p?
-- Yes

- Can a f2p get the same stuff as p2w?
-- Yes

- Can we all just get along?
-- No

- Is there land available still ?
-- No

- Can i buy land from players?
-- Yes

Answer all your questions?

The most common answer amongst the forum posts is the game is not as p2w as trions.

Do you know why they got such backlash? It wasn't mainly due to the box system they implemented, it was because it's an EXPENSIVE game WITH p2w elements. A lot of people wouldn't have cared if the game was f2p and they still had the same system, they just wouldn't.
Also, not all games can be turned into completely cosmetic cash shops, a lot of games are designed with their payment model and cash shops in mind, that's how they make money after all. (Not saying you can't do it, just saying it's not that simple.)

Yes it's P2W, but that's how ArcheAge is designed (actually that's how all MMO's these days are designed). But there's a difference.

In official ArcheAge the demand for Apex was never ending, because you needed it to pay for all your patron accounts. But here, patron is free. So the only reason you need credits is to buy things like Expansion Scrolls and Regrade Charms. The demand isn't as high.

Once you have everything you need, there's no reason to keep spending.

In the official server you had to spend X amount each month to keep your patron, or you lost everything. Here, it's much more relaxed. You only spend what you want to, when you want to.

Krowley is right, you can make a lot of gold in this server (it's 2.9 remember, the 'Golden Age' of ArcheAge). So I haven't had to spend any real life money at all yet, I've bought all my credits with in game gold.

With that said, once donations are working again (there's a problem at the moment) I'm going to throw some money their way. Not because I have to, but because I want to. Unlike Trion, the team here have generated such goodwill that I actually want to support them.

But don't let the P2W scare you off. To compete in ArcheAge you had to spend hundreds (sometimes thousands for the truly sad). But you won't have to do that here.

Sure "Mr Whale" can spend a few hundred and have all the best gear sooner than you. But in this server, you'll soon catch up. Actually, if you're willing to put in the time and effort, I think a few F2P players might make "Mr Whale" look like a fool in a few months.

But a big welcome to ArcheRage :D. The best MMO in the world!

Yes it's P2W, but that's how ArcheAge is designed (actually that's how all MMO's these days are designed).

ArcheAge isn't designed for P2W. At one point, everything was fine until a certain patch. Damn if I remember the patch, but people were begging Trion to not release it due to it having the majority of the cash shop P2W. They said they wouldn't, then lied. And not all MMO's are P2W designed, only Korean/Japanese ones that really don't care for the community (BDO, AA, few others too). You can take out P2W elements in this AA and be totally fine, there is literally nothing P2W holding anything together; it is moreso a get out of jail free card. You can have it, but you absolutely don't need it nor is it integral to the game. I do understand why some can think of it as P2W being deeply inbedded into the game. They made it very much grindy when it came to labor points and other things, thus adding P2W features to speed it up or get other things essentially makes it another game.

Do not get me wrong though, I am glad a server like this exists. I just wonder if it'll stay alive in a year considering this might be taken down due to some sort of copyright.

Back