What's new

Something Needs to Change in Maelstrom

Vysse

I can queue all day and nothing. Maybe make it so people can get double rewards during certain days or make the rewards better. Or maybe a daily for it that gives something other then Maelstrom coins like some gold or regrade scrolls or labor pots or something? Hell maybe even rng box that has a chance to give something really good can be part of the 5 participation dailies. Point is we need something to change since people barely queue for it even when others are asking them to.

Rewards provided are already good and high and will not be increased further.
You can now get a good amount of honor + additional unique custom items by exchanging your arena coins.

Yes if you can get in sure. But something is making it so people do not queue for this arena often. Other games I have played who shared this issue would have certain days with special rewards or unlimited entries. This arena requires 12 people to play and I have legit sat in a queue for 12+ hours and not gotten in. That is pretty bad.

I feel like we had this conversation before, Vysse: it isn't practical, it isn't rewarding, it isn't fun.

Not practical: Balanced 1v1's and Sparring 1v1's teach us dueling and give us a reason to do more than duel in our main towns. 3v3 teaches us small-skirmish dueling. 5v5 teaches us slightly larger small-skirmishes with terrain changes. FFA teaches you how to react and fight in slobber-knockers. The original Maelstrom arena 10v10 at least taught you how to do some form of naval combat. But this arena does......nothing outside of the arena. Doesn't teach anything, isn't useful, feels pointless to join.

Not rewarding: The drawing to arenas is a mixture of honor and currency. The 1v1 arenas give a PVP ring for the top contenders and pots with a good bit of honor. The 3v3 and FFA arenas give a PVP earring for top contenders and pots with a good bit of honor. The 5v5 arena is a perfect example of a failed multi-person arena in that no one queues for it because the honor rewards for winning and losing are laughable. The Maelstrom arenas have coins, but you only get 1 coin if you win, and the daily quests to get extra coins are "participate 5 times", "win 5 times", "win 3 times in a row". So the arena is basically BEGGING YOU to queue up and AFK, potentially screwing over your team. No one wants to queue into a coin flip without incentive. At least the previous Maelstrom arena had some incentive to do more than boat combat, but THAT screwed up the dynamic of the point system because you could win a cannon fight but lose the PVP, and it didn't help that quests wanted players to kill 30 players at once for coins instead of my suggestion of separating the quests into "kill 5/10/15 people" in a progression system similar to the Library kill quests. At least the honor given in this arena is significantly better than the old arena (~150 for the losing team vs ~650), but there just isn't incentive to do it.

Not fun: You hop in a speedboat and drive up to a weapon and roll the dice hoping for a strong weapon that isn't utterly useless. Boat controls alone suck, some weapons just bypass the boat you were aiming for altogether like the torpedo (and sometimes the flamethrower even misses). Teammates AFK because they just get credit participating. The only variation is in what weapon you get, everything else is set so gameplay gets very stale very quickly.

But I've already told you all of this before.

Ya and I agree on all points except it is sort of rewarding just not long term. The fact is it has one reward that makes it worth it and if you've already gotten that reward then you're not likely to ever go in there. The shroudlight is the only reason to be there. I'm hoping they can throw other incentives in to make it more worthwhile or change it altogether to make it more fun or easier to get a full queue.

Last edited:
I think it's fun. I think it's rewarding, just for the long term. But then again, I didn't have afk team mates.

Rewards provided are already good and high and will not be increased further.
You can now get a good amount of honor + additional unique custom items by exchanging your arena coins.
One thing I want to point out that can be used to further show how unpopular this arena is. You started a forum event for it and have had 1 entry to it in almost 2 weeks. Probably because people can't even get in the queue.

Back