What's new

Suggestion: Capture the Flag arena (when 5.0 comes)

geololj

With the new expansion (5.0) incoming, I think it is a great opportunity to add more fun ways to have instanced PvP.

Reading some patch notes, I saw that with the August update of 5.0, Drill Camp arena returned to Archeage. This arena has the perfect layout for a Capture the Flag mode. I do not know if it is possible from development standpoint to add such mechanics, but I thought I would throw my thoughts out in the wild.

I suppose everyone know how the Capture the Flag works in games. Two opposing teams fight to steal the enemies’ flag and return it to their base to score a point. We could have two variants of the mode, 3vs3 and 5vs5 where the team that scores three points or has the most points at the end of the time (5 minutes duration I think is enough) wins the match. If the carrier dies, the flag either returns to its base automatically or drops on the ground and you must interact with it either to retake it or to return it back to its base. If possible: The carrier is always shown on the minimap or a light emits from the flag upwards so you know where the carrier is all the time.

1.jpg

We could go a step further and add some more excitement:
1) The carrier of the flag gets a minor buff that increases their HP or defenses but reduces move speed by 20-30%.
2) Everyone in the arena gets a resilience buff.
3) Gear is normalized for everyone.
4) Like in speedboat arena, random buffs appear on the map, giving extra damage, move speed increase or healing (instant or over time).
5) Potions or other buffs are not usable. Same for Gliders or mounts.

Daily Quests
1) Play 5 Capture the Flag matches
Rewards: 1000 Honor, 10 Kyrios Badges

2) Win a 3vs3 Capture the Flag match
Rewards: 500 Honor, 5 Kyrios Badges

3) Win a 5vs5 Capture the Flag match
Rewards: 500 Honor, 5 Kyrios Badges

Entries
10 per day

Winning team earns 5 Kyrios Badges per win
Losing team earns 2 Kyrios Badges per match

Achievements
“Not on my watch”
Kill the flag carrier x times

“Touchdown”
Score x points

“Flagged for Blood”
Kill x enemies inside Capture the Flag mode

Last edited:
implementing the "flag" should not be that hard since it can be some sort of pack, carried on the back. Same with matching outfits for the participants, similar to the "optimization outfit". It really sounds super fun!

Added some achievements, let me know if you can think of any more of them or anything else that would make this more fun and complete.

Achievements:
“Not on my watch”
Kill the flag carrier x times

“Touchdown”
Score x points

“Flagged for Blood”
Kill x enemies inside Capture the Flag mode

implementing the "flag" should not be that hard since it can be some sort of pack, carried on the back. Same with matching outfits for the participants, similar to the "optimization outfit". It really sounds super fun!
Indeed, I thought about the pack on the back as a flag too! :)

Drill Camp Arena is added back to the game in 5.1, that is not included into the current update.
But from my understanding, you suggest to create more like a new arena with different rules, quests and achievements that will only be based on Drill Camp Arena, but will be a different type of arena, right?
Or do you suggest to rework Drill Camp Arena that is coming with 5.1 update, and add the one you suggest instead of the original one?

Drill Camp Arena is added back to the game in 5.1, that is not included into the current update.
But from my understanding, you suggest to create more like a new arena with different rules, quests and achievements that will only be based on Drill Camp Arena, but will be a different type of arena, right?
Hey Sparkle \o/

Yes, I am suggesting exactly that. Different rules, quests and achievements based on Drill Camp Arena map. As Ely mentioned, instead of flag we could have something like a trade pack, if flag mechanic is not possible to be made.

Hey Sparkle \o/

Yes, I am suggesting exactly that. Different rules, quests and achievements based on Drill Camp Arena map. As Ely mentioned, instead of flag we could have something like a trade pack, if flag mechanic is not possible to be made.

the flag in halcy is a pack btw xD

Hey Sparkle \o/

I mean, do you offer it as a separate new arena or the change to the Drill Camp Arena that is added in 5.1?

A different arena would be nice, so we would have more options to do some fun things. Also would be interesting to implement for the top monthly ranks some new custom gear (like the fistbump earring and rings) and since we are going to have less heroes, and the event is going to be a "carry on the back" type of thing, the Akrite's Fistbump Cloak sounds in order :D

Thank you Sparkle! I will get back to this thread if I thing anything else to add to the suggestion. Others are welcome to do the same :)

When you say gear is normalised you mean to use the equalised arena's system of choosing your armor and weapon type correct?
And the more interest shown in the idea the better

Hey Sjin \o/

Yes, that would be great if possible. That system works well in the arenas. I will try to... lure as many people as possible for feedback and ideas.

A thing to keep in mind though, what if people spec tank classes and are hard to kill to get the flag back? Not sure how normalising the gear would affect that. Not sure how that works in other arenas? Like if there's one tank and 4 healers on a team it's probably unbalanced x)

Well, in this type of arena, if the gear is equalized, a more CC oriented build would be best. There is a limit on how "tanky" you can be without depending much on your gear. This can open the possibility of strategizing more with your team. In the lobby before the fight some communication would be key to a good fight when choosing classes/gearstyle, therefore, promoting teamwork over anything else. Is not just a YOLO thing where you go beat anything in front of you hoping for the best. Specially if some buffs or other utility are added to the combat. Maybe even some "stealth detection" buff should be given to every participant so that mechanic wont be abused. I think the possibilities are great for it to be a fun addition to the custom content that break us apart from the live server. Cheers

This is really a good idea qis, i m in lol.
And yes avi about the 4 healers, it does seems unbalanced but how about to add a healing received reduced % debuff to flag holder of the team if there are more than 2 healers.

Back