What's new

Suggestion: Server Desync issues.

TripleDip

As a lot of people have been getting more and more agitated lately. I wanted to make a post for the abhorrent desync happening as of late, before we get into that completely. I wanted to clarify some normal things that can and will always cause desync, and what desync is.

• Desync can be caused by ping variations due to people on the server being far apart I.E. (being in NA and fighting someone from EU)
  • Bad tunneling from point A to point B I.E. (there can be bad nodes between your connection and the server)
  • When the server does not register where you are on the map, thinking you are at a certain point where the server dictates you are not.
So with just some of these bullet points, you can come to the conclusion for yourself that some of these issues can entail why the ArcheRage server is having so much trouble lately. Now onto the point that I'm getting to. We recently got the change to turn the skill queue system on and off for yourself. Sparkle did also state that this is not apart of the issue, Though there is a good handful of people testing this as we speak, so if you find any differing results. Please post them in the thread below with a video or a detailed explanation of how it happened.

So now since we have access to this setting there are steps you can do to close the gap preventing less desync, or to help you in your time playing.​
  • If you are not using a VPN, I recommend doing so. Exitlag is the best option as it allows connection to the ArcheRage server and can tunnel through your preferred nodes.
  • If you are under 100ms, you don't need the skill queue change. If you are 200ms and over, It is recommended to use it -Sjinderson
  • Changing your DNS can help in some cases, but most often your primary ISP DNS is what is set, though googles DNS isn't horrible either. (There are many guides on how to change your DNS)
  • If its possible to, investing into a cat5e or cat6 cable for a wired connection is more than enough to eliminate any extra crap between you and your router/gateway.
  • Make sure your EEE I.E. Energy Efficient Ethernet is off, this is sometimes turned on for dumb reasons, and can throttle your network speed through ethernet.
Now the main issue I do want to bring up is the massive desync that is apparent on the ArcheRage server as of lately. Mass video evidence has shown lately that its pretty terrible as of late. And It should be discussed as even if you use the options above to fix your connection just that little bit more. Will still ultimately lead to a lot of skills on everyone's classes just disappearing, Desyncing over 15+ meters, or even CC's still applying to people in immune abilities.
Now I propose that alongside the player base, that the staff of the server can look into the current server stability and double check their hardware, current host, and if there is to much traffic from somewhere else that is causing these issues. It's apparent more than ever that PVP is in a pretty terrible state, and PVP is one of the primary aspects of ArcheAge. Please look over any problems that could also be in line with the massive desync happening.

The last thing I did want to bring up, and this is mainly targeted about people 150-200 plus ping on the server, even if you're using a VPN. There really isn't much that can be done at that point about desync for yourself, unfortunately that is the reality of playing on a server over Continents or Countries. I know it sucks, but that's just internet 101 for ping. The things above may help you to lower your ping, and I genuinely hope it does. Some of my friends who are from EU use ExitLag and get as low as 90 ping.
ExitLag is a paid VPN though semiannually payments of 35 USD, and Quarterly payments of 18.50, or Monthly payments of 6.50. It will automatically tunnel the "best" connection for you to the server for the most part. If not, it's pretty configurable. There are some good guides out there on how to optimize them.

In conclusion, there are options here to help, But also a call on the staff to look into any issues or to investigate the problem. Some of us the players really do like playing the game, but if one of the main aspects of the games core system and gameplay loop doesn't function properly, People will grow more irate and frustrated with the experience. Thank you for reading through this. It's important that as much feedback and transparency between both the staff and us should be important here for everyone involved.

wanted to add on after a lot of testing, literally almost all pvp is a actual lag fest, peoples skills hitting eachother in immunes, stealth, aoe's not registering, being pulled out of immune dash/gliders. And this kind of issue has only gotten worse over recent months. please for the love of god, LOOK AT YOUR SERVER. If what you said was true sparkle, there is a faulty/crap node close to the server. maybe its time to find a different host spot? because obviously this one isnt working.

Because the issues are quite extensive and noted by the majority of the player base, I'd say it warrants some looking into, even if the devs do not believe it's on their side.

wanted to add on after a lot of testing, literally almost all pvp is a actual lag fest, peoples skills hitting eachother in immunes, stealth, aoe's not registering, being pulled out of immune dash/gliders. And this kind of issue has only gotten worse over recent months. please for the love of god, LOOK AT YOUR SERVER. If what you said was true sparkle, there is a faulty/crap node close to the server. maybe its time to find a different host spot? because obviously this one isnt working.
That node issue only affected ping and was only a fault for day or so.

Desync will always exist in Archeage because thats how it is designed. Its purposely done that way in order for the player perspectives movements to stay relatively smooth.
The affect is magnified on our server thanks to the broad diversity of where players are playing from vs a standard format of servers per region and nobody has over 100ms delays

That node issue only affected ping and was only a fault for day or so.

Desync will always exist in Archeage because thats how it is designed. Its purposely done that way in order for the player perspectives movements to stay relatively smooth.
The affect is magnified on our server thanks to the broad diversity of where players are playing from vs a standard format of servers per region and nobody has over 100ms delays
that solves one issue on the post. theres many other points here. and other fixes that can be attempted, but thats it. check your guys end of things too.

Back