What's new

Tax increase (again) - Quick thought

Whitehat

Increased the tax rate for players who own alot of plots:
  • 10+ Buildings increases tax by 5% per building.
  • 20+ Buildings increases tax by 10% per building.
  • 30+ Buildings increases tax by 15% per building.
  • 40+ Buildings increases tax by 20% per building.

Ok, lets be constructive here.

The server had an overtax system already implemented and a custom change increased it even more (up to +500%). It made it expensive but fair to play by the rules and owning a decent amount of lands, accounting for heavytax exempt cashshop properties. Those last few month showed no apparent land scarcity, rather the opposite.

Newly uncalled implemented change:
- every building type is counted (including forced public and heavytax exempt)
- every building are increased (including forced public and heavytax exempt)
- no distinction between private and public building
- added on top of the already implemented overtax increase

Objectively speaking, it's understandable to have way to limit excessive lands ownership and make it a "as fair as possible" playground for everybody. The implemented overtax so far had a decent impact, seeing quite a few open lands around. We could argue that there is still some excess with the recent addition of beanstalk and mushoom heavytax exempt building and that could be ultimately addressed with an hard limit for those. But overall, if anything, properties taxing could have been tweaked for those extreme use case. Currently proposed change went overboard.

Subjectively speaking, I'm playing here kind of as a retirement home, no rush, land and cosmetics, sharing public houses and landes to who feel the needs. As currently implemented, the change made all of that unsustainable and will just drive me out as is. I play for fun, I don't pay for fun. The server is far to be overcrowd, let's not make the players retention issue worse.

Thank you in advance
WB

Another thought from me. I have 11 properties, so the first scaling is applicable to my tax rates, as noted below in the ss taken from patch notes. However, all my taxes are increased by 10%, not 5%. (Gardens even by 20% for a lack of 0.5 tax certificate).

1635371779090.png

There also doesn't seem to be any distinction between a 44x44 plot and an 8x8 plot for purposes of building count, effectively making it cheaper to just spam the largest buildings possible to take up as much land as possible, as opposed to building something that's aesthetically arranged and takes up more plots, but on a much smaller square footage.

This is very silly and defeats the only possible purpose that this could ever have had (freeing up land that's in reality already pretty empty for other reasons...)

Tl:dr: My weekly taxes went from 2,190 to 11,060 (405% increase) with this update.

While i grumbled about an increase in taxes last night, before the update actually dropped, it never occurred to me it would be such an extreme change. I misread the patch notes, thinking my taxes were going to increase by 15%, and wondered how i would make up for that increase. I was not at all prepared for this morning.

Yesterday, my total weekly taxes for all my properties, across 5 characters who each own at least one house and various farms, was 2,190 (+60 for a temporary tent to grow special crops). Each house has separate crafting facilities (i had these before opening the public crafting house). Each farm has crops, trees, animals, larders, experia patches, or a mix of all of these things. I gather all my own resources for crafting, trade packs, and gear upgrades. It was hard to keep up with 2,190 taxes per week while also doing so much farming and crafting, but i kept track and stayed organized, bought stipends, and sometimes still had to buy taxes from the auction house. This is my ArcheRage, my playstyle, the reason i'm in this game.

My husband and i joke about all the land we have sometimes, but we also know people who have more than we do. And, in the last couple of weeks, we have been astounded at how much empty land there was all around us, in various zones. Huge empty spots, where multiple mansions could be built side by side even. Some places felt deserted, like ghost towns.

Luckily, i keep all my properties pre-paid 5/5. Today, my new taxes include a 405% "Monopoly Tax", which now puts my total weekly taxes at 11,060. There is no way possible for me to pay that, at all.
taxes61.jpg

The public crafting campus in Ahnimar is made up of 8 total properties (5 8x8 workbenches, villa, beanstalk, fellowship plaza). This is land that i furnish, decorate, and maintain for anyone on the server to use for crafting. Yesterday, the total weekly taxes for the campus were 375. Now it will be 1,894 taxes per week. The crafting campus will have to close if this is not reversed.
cctax61.jpg

As others have mentioned, it was already hard to pay for all the land i have. I had to work at it, but it was worth it to me. Now... well i've already said how i feel elsewhere.

Basically, if you supported ArcheRage through loot box houses(mushroom/beanstalk) you get screwed over. Also, alot of public crafting houses are getting torn down over the changes; to the extent where I've been asked to create a new channel in the ArcheRage Dynamic Discord server for the surviving ones. I'll likely be pulling down my public packhouse and public alchemy house once the taxes for those roll in. Can we not get kicked in the balls for doing something nice for the community?

Do they not want us to buy loot boxes? This patch has been a huge loss in quality of life for the player base. What the hell was the thought process here?

So I reduced my plots to 10, seeing as the description says "10+" buildings have increased tax, which logically would mean 11 and up.

Imagine my surprise when the missing 5% monopoly tax shows up:

1635408538756.png

The bad implementation/description of this new system is laughable.

I'll explain how the tax system actually works, here's the patch note screenshot again for clarity's sake, and a screenshot of someone's insane taxes.

1635409299423.png

1635409314055.png

So this person has 53 high tax buildings. According to the vague patch note info , from 10th plot and up you'll have increased tax rate. That would leave 44 properties to take into account.

Their monopoly tax is 2205%, let's do some math with the 44 properties and the various percentages listed.

(5x44)+(10x44)+(15x44)+(20x44) = 2200. Look familiar? Oh wait, that's basically their new monopoly tax!

I am utterly disappointed that the admins did not seem it necessary to inform the entire server that their new tax system is a cumulative system. They make it look like there's different scales everyone would fit into, so people like @Zeirlynn did their math to decide whether or not to change their setups using misguided information.

I'm very sorry for all the people who ended up suffering greatly from this new and failing system.

I'll explain how the tax system actually works, here's the patch note screenshot again for clarity's sake, and a screenshot of someone's insane taxes.

View attachment 16618
View attachment 16619

So this person has 53 high tax buildings. According to the vague patch note info , from 10th plot and up you'll have increased tax rate. That would leave 44 properties to take into account.

Their monopoly tax is 2205%, let's do some math with the 44 properties and the various percentages listed.

(5x44)+(10x44)+(15x44)+(20x44) = 2200. Look familiar? Oh wait, that's basically their new monopoly tax!

I am utterly disappointed that the admins did not seem it necessary to inform the entire server that their new tax system is a cumulative system. They make it look like there's different scales everyone would fit into, so people like @Zeirlynn did their math to decide whether or not to change their setups using misguided information.

I'm very sorry for all the people who ended up suffering greatly from this new and failing system.
I mean for land hoarders it sucks for sure. Maybe this was the answer Havockitty was looking for all those years! Well I guess you pay more in taxes or get rid of land. Consolidate and just keep what you need and dump the excess. This tax change was no secret and most of us prepared accordingly.

I mean for land hoarders it sucks for sure. Maybe this was the answer Havockitty was looking for all those years! Well I guess you pay more in taxes or get rid of land. Consolidate and just keep what you need and dump the excess. This tax change was no secret and most of us prepared accordingly.

I think omitting info and giving misguided information in general sucks for everyone. It's not the first time this happens, probs won't be the last.

Currently there appears to be an issue with some buildings having very high tax increments and others not being affected at all.

Currently there appears to be an issue with some buildings having very high tax increments and others not being affected at all.

Is that in relation to the fact taxes increase by 5, 15, 30, and 50 percent respectively instead of the patch note stated amounts?

Is that in relation to the fact taxes increase by 5, 15, 30, and 50 percent respectively instead of the patch note stated amounts?
No because thats not whats occurs and your maths was wrong in the first place.
This (5x44)+(10x44)+(15x44)+(20x44) = 2200 is completely off the mark. Frankly I have no idea where you got 44 properties from for the example sasin when they have 53 high tax buildings. That 53 High tax buildings does not incorporate heavy tax exempt either while the increasing monopoly tax does.
The tax changes are additional to the already existing tax per building increases.

What is actually wrong is if you do that tax calculation from the mail. 50 taxes + a 2205% increase is not 6915. Its 1152.5 before the game rounds the number up.

No because thats not whats occurs and your maths was wrong in the first place.
This (5x44)+(10x44)+(15x44)+(20x44) = 2200 is completely off the mark. Frankly I have no idea where you got 44 properties from for the example sasin when they have 53 high tax buildings. That 53 High tax buildings does not incorporate heavy tax exempt either while the increasing monopoly tax does.
The tax changes are additional to the already existing tax per building increases.

What is actually wrong is if you do that tax calculation from the mail. 50 taxes + a 2205% increase is not 6915. Its 1152.5 before the game rounds the number up.

well I did not take into account the 6915 tax at all in my calculations so okay, fair enough, and the ss is then an example of the weird high number of tax you mentioned, and not related to the high monopoly tax. So the answer to my question is "no", thank you.

And I clearly stated in my text that I included all the extra properties, not the 9 base ones that do not trigger the new system. That's where I got it from. ;-)

That monopoly tax is normal for the extent of land they possess.

if you have 53 properties you have 53 properties all getting 20% increased tax. Its not progressive.

That monopoly tax is normal for the extent of land they possess.

if you have 53 properties you have 53 properties all getting 20% increased tax. Its not progressive.
Then explain this please.

cctax61.jpg

taxes61.jpg

Each of my properties got a 405% tax increase. I own 36 properties total. 27 are high-tax, 9 are heavy-tax exempt.

Back