What's new

Turn cannons against purple players

Well it wasn't originally discussed HOW such changes would be implemented, with an accompaniment by increased guard/cannon numbers, aggro range, etc etc...
As it stands the original thread only wanted to have guards/cannons/etc turn on purplers and it is a wasteful change if done in isolation.
Since as everyone knows, the guards/cannons/etc are shit...

But if you are talking "more complex" changes as you suggest... it still seems pointless cause most of the time your not in range of cannons whenever you are doing things in zones there are cannons present somewhere....

-----

Directed more generally to the discussion as a whole:

So, considering we're talking about cannons in their current state:
1: they aren't even in the places that you'd probably want protection in Diamond Shores - if purplers or reds wanted to steal your archeum pack in DS they could do it when you are AWAY from the cannons rather than right on them... So doesn't fix the problem of "preventing purpling" or even reds attacking... Doing bunker is always dangerous and no one cares about dying during that.... Farming mobs and you'll die... Like realistically how "protected" can you be before we start asking for perma-peace in Diamond Shores....
2: reds always hit-and-run even in range of cannons and they are effective at performing such hit-and-runs. i.e. cannons aren't good at what they are meant do anyways... Making them turn on purplers will not "prevent purpling" just as they do not prevent red hit-and-runs...
3: you might as well make Diamond Shores perma peace if you want to be doing anything there without getting killed which is... silly at best.

However, if they were to consider adding guards and decreasing things such as time-to-aggro and rate of fire etc etc
I can see that being somewhat more effective than just "adding purplers to list of aggro" for the guards/cannons

But still Point number 1 stands still:
If you are gonna get attacked it will happen in areas away from cannons/guards that you need to do stuff... Like shooting bunkers, handing in your Archeum pack, farming mobs....

And getting attcked at the portal spawns or while afk'ing "eg "East/West Housing Zone"... we can live with that it is only a minor inconvenience :D

To your points -

The vast majority of purpling occurs right in very close range of cannons, or even inside the base right next to the turn in just so your packs can be stolen.

The cannons are effective enough close to the base to have this change make a fair amount of difference in regards to purpling, even if done in isolation. If you've done PvP inside the enemy base or close to the bridge (not I'm not just saying in range, but close up), 9/10 times you get caught unless you have high mobility + stealth to get away. Dodging cannons is possible (really shouldn't be), but fairly difficult to do.

My responses in regards to the *effectiveness* of guards and cannons were more of an after thought, and maybe should have gone into the original post, but most people perform tl;dr; actions on overly verbose posts. However, I feel a lot of changes could and should be made to the responsiveness and abilities of the guard entities in the game. They are too easily baited into tanks, or vehicles, allowing groups of reds or particularly strong single entities free reign on victims.

As it stands now, losing archeum packs to cowards on your own faction is just messed up. More to the point though it is just straight up annoying when you are denied content by your own faction with literally zero consequences, actions which they perform mere feet from sentries that are placed there to protect you from. Why even have them at all in that case? Poor implementations and afterthoughts by original developers. Things that really wouldn't take that much time to adjust.

To your points -

The vast majority of purpling occurs right in very close range of cannons, or even inside the base right next to the turn in just so your packs can be stolen.

The cannons are effective enough close to the base to have this change make a fair amount of difference in regards to purpling, even if done in isolation. If you've done PvP inside the enemy base or close to the bridge (not I'm not just saying in range, but close up), 9/10 times you get caught unless you have high mobility + stealth to get away. Dodging cannons is possible (really shouldn't be), but fairly difficult to do.

My responses in regards to the *effectiveness* of guards and cannons were more of an after thought, and maybe should have gone into the original post, but most people perform tl;dr; actions on overly verbose posts. However, I feel a lot of changes could and should be made to the responsiveness and abilities of the guard entities in the game. They are too easily baited into tanks, or vehicles, allowing groups of reds or particularly strong single entities free reign on victims. They are also overly easy to escape from in many areas with simple obstacles like stairs or hills, simply by remaining on the other side.

As it stands now, losing archeum packs to cowards on your own faction is just messed up. More to the point though it is just straight up annoying when you are denied content by your own faction with literally zero consequences, actions which they perform mere feet from sentries that are placed there to protect you from. Why even have them at all in that case? Poor implementations and afterthoughts by original developers. Things that really wouldn't take that much time to adjust.

Workarounds of getting purpled running packs in DS:

1. Run them in peace
2. Run them during low population times
3. Run them in a group of friends
4. Drive them by car (B200, Hello Kitty etc., anything that isn't as slow as a freighter)
5. Check before running packs of hostile players around. Do a "test" run by donkey and see if somone jumps you.
6. Run them one by one with Shadowplay (Freerunner + Stealth)

Purpling is part of the game. I know how frustrating it can be, we've all been low gearscore and the victims of assholes. But trying to change this is a waste of energy. For every change you woud like to see, there will be a group of players strongly against it and putting effort into preventing it from happening.
I suggest you to try finding workarounds and only ask for a change when you absolutely cannot think of a way to bypass an issue.

Last edited:
Systems fine, buffed even with the siege damage change. Bring friends, kill the other guy, report his assaults. You have to realize that IS part of the game and some people want to play it that way.

Back