What's new

When to make an alt vs multiple skillsets?

Hamberglar

I'm new to Archeage (I played back in 1.0, but quit when I hit level cap). I'm currently about to cap my daggerspell, and was thinking I'd like to try both darkrunner and primeval. If i just loaded up bonestalker and did the leveling over again, I'd have everything I need.

Now, my question is: Would it just make more sense for me to make a new character with each spec that I want? Capping takes basically no time at all on these rates.

Sorry if this is the wrong subforum, by the way. There's not a "questions and answers" section as far as I can see.

I'd say just level all skillsets to save time, resources, convenience, etc. And switching classes only costs pocket change. There's really no benefit of creating an alt character on the basis of class, even if just experimental. Nobody really sticks to just one class anyway, and you'll find that having all maxed skillsets are the norm.

A good way you can do this is by fishing, crafting, or any general way you earn exp. If you're out in the world, I recommend only leveling one skill tree at a time so you don't hinder your fighting ability by much.

No need to switch chars for other classes, I agree. Not only is it cheap to switch and easy to level everything, you also get achievement rewards like merits and titles.

And also it helps with raising a proficiency on your character and not let that work go to waste;-)

No need to switch chars for other classes, I agree. Not only is it cheap to switch and easy to level everything, you also get achievement rewards like merits and titles.

And also it helps with raising a proficiency on your character and not let that work go to waste;-)

I would comment that gear isn't quite so easy to obtain as you're making out. Yes you can make a (grand) obsidian set, but then your GS is only like 2.5k

And having a second character to play can't be entirely a bad idea. Some of us do like playing alts.

I would comment that gear isn't quite so easy to obtain as you're making out. Yes you can make a (grand) obsidian set, but then your GS is only like 2.5k

And having a second character to play can't be entirely a bad idea. Some of us do like playing alts.

Fyi, I didn't mention gear... I just said it's easy to switch classes at the Nui statue, that's it, which is the agreement I noted related to what Ephenay said.

Imo getting gear for multiple chars is same effort as keeping it all on one char. Hence why I didn't mention it.

Furthermore, he says he wants to try them out.. I don't think you need superb gear to try out classes and their skills to find out whether you like the play style or not.

??????

If you are FULL INTENT on playing massively different classes properly Eg, Cloth Mage and swapping to or from Leather DR or whatever on the SAME OR DIFFERENT CHAR, you are GOING TO INCUR THE COST OF NEEDING MULTIPLE GEAR SETS.

NO MATTER WHAT

And if you are acquiring multiple gear sets well then OF COURSE it's going to COST you more to get gear...
YOU have to get so much more than other people who are likely just focusing on one set :D
That applies, WHETHER OR NOT YOU PLAY ON THE SAME CHARACTER OR DIFFERENT ONES.
AND EVEN THEN: the onus is on you to get those gear pieces, so you have to swallow that cost :D

So that's just something that doesn't matter in the argument of keeping the same char or leveling a new one...

And all in all, the Original Poster mentioned acquiring alternative gear by:...
just loaded up bonestalker and did the leveling over again, I'd have everything I need.
as in getting it from the Q-line or dungeons...
They'd have put all this effort into relevelling something anyways which would STILL be worse than the gear that they'd have to eventually obtain to be properly relevant in the diff class on their other... in your own words that gear being Obsidian... or if they want to the crafted gear.

To answer /THAT/ question ppl have helpfully said that it's easier to keep it all on one character,,,, even with multiple gear sets. Because you know things like dungeons exist that can be completed on a single character... So ie you dun have to waste time relevelling just go mindlessly PvE...
And they said they'd like to try... dun need new set of obsidian gear to tell if they like how a class plays or not... :D

Though your COMMENT on alt chars is a valid one, but, that's up to the person to decide on their own, and is an entirely different question.
'peng
(Heck I have alt chars to do the daily gilda q's over and over :D )

There's absolutely no way that this is the case. Why would they make having multiple characters against the rules, but not just limit the number of characters I can create to one.
You can have up to 9 characters on your account. Alt characters are not against the rules. Player means alt accounts, that is forbidden to have.

Back