What's new

Archery - The best way to suffer?

So, yeah... I'm stuck with archery as after toying around with other class builds, watching a ton of vids, and reading a crap-ton of threads, I'm sadly sticking with the bow. Honestly, nothing else really is that much fun and if I'm not enjoying my time in the game, then frankly, what's the point?

Anywho - I need some advice on which archery build I should pick as thus far, they have all been pretty darn fun. Well, except for the stone arrow - just isn't as enjoyable as I remember.

My goal is to help out in small-larger group PvP and perhaps do a bit of 1v1 down the road. As such, I've been toying around with CC or even healer builds. Which would be the best way for me to go?

#1: Mobility Primevil - So I really like how much mobility this class has combined with a few CC and utility skills to help get out of trouble. Overall, this feels fairly well balanced.

#2: PvP Oracle - I REALLY like the the Oracle for its ability to deal decent damage yet heal itself as well. What's not to like about a DPS class that doesn't need a pocket healer? What sucks though is that I also LOVE stealth which you obviously have to give up. That, and the mobility kind of sucks.

#3: The Roaming Trickster - This is a bit strange as I'm not really used to the combos yet but the amount of CC is just crazy. I would think this would be fairly effective at locking someone down while the team kills off a healer or other primary DPS.

Yup, that about covers it. These are my three favorite classes in the game and honestly, I'm not really sure which one to pick. What do you all think?

If you are just playing casually then honestly go for whatever you want to play. If you plan to not whale it out and play competitively then I can not recommend any archer class right now. You have to be a considerable distance ahead of everyone else’s gear to do damage as an archer. Archer is by far the most gear dependent class until I belieeeeeeve... 3.0 and then it gets better. We aren’t quiet there yet though. The class as a whole is very weak right now and since you have not even reached level 55 yet you are very likely far behind the gear curve. It requires a lot of gold to play Archery effectively in any class; but don’t let that stop you from having fun.

Archer is by far the most gear dependent class until I belieeeeeeve... 3.0 and then it gets better. We aren’t quiet there yet though.

Do we know when that's going to happen? My problem is that I loved ranged classes but I hate the stand-and-cast aspect of so many mage classes. Having 1 or 2 cast-timers on a really big skill is fine but not just about everything you use. That, and again, I hate just standing in one place. Just too boring.

Any other thoughts? I honestly really enjoy this game but the thought of my favorite classes all being useless really concerns me. The only "mage" class I found that has as much insta-cast skills is the Reaper but it doesn't appear to be all that popular based upon the comments I've read.

Archery drops off like crazy mid game and is almost pointless endgame. It's the sad truth about bows: they don't have enough damage to make them viable against people who have quick melee mobility or huge magic bursts. Mageballs with massive AOEs make archers obsolete in raid pvp. Unless you get an epic bow, the quality of life for a bow user is much lower than that of anyone else.

This is a known problem though, one that I have optimism will be addressed by this development team.

This is a known problem though, one that I have optimism will be addressed by this development team.

That's kind of my hope as well. Still, would you recommend that I go with something like the Reaper instead? I simply just hate classes where I can't be mobile while using skills. I'm only 36 ATM so I suppose it wouldn't be too much of a pain to start over with a new class.

High mobility ranged is difficult. One one hand, being mobile is a huge defensive advantage. On the other, being ranged is also a huge defensive and offensive advantage. You gotta take the goods with the bads when you build a class. I'm sticking with archery because even though it falls off, I intend to be ahead of the gear curve enough to still be viable in a raid role.

I'm sticking with archery because even though it falls off, I intend to be ahead of the gear curve enough to still be viable in a raid role.

That's the problem I have. My RL is so busy that I don't get to dedicate that much time to gaming which means my gear will always be lower-tier than most others I face.

That's a big reason why there are so many of certain classes: less gear requirement for that class to be a success.

Okies... so if archery isn't going to work well considering I'm semi-casual, what about this Reaper build? Pretty much everything is insta-cast and "appears" to fit my high mobility play style.

Enigmatist is actually your best bet when it comes to fast paced mage, you just have to build it that way and make use of the combos and animation cancelling. You could also go with Skullknight which is a tank made for mass CC.

If you wanna get really interesting you could try a SK with Vit instead of defense... really off meta stuff but I really feel like you can make it work if you play it right... might be a higher gear requirement needed however with the lack of defense but you have a few minor heal options, a self comboing skewer, and Renewal doesnt work off healing power so you can use that for extra tankiness with a 30s HoT on yourself. Its something I am thinking of trying to get into :v

Archery drops off like crazy mid game and is almost pointless endgame. It's the sad truth about bows: they don't have enough damage to make them viable against people who have quick melee mobility or huge magic bursts. Mageballs with massive AOEs make archers obsolete in raid pvp. Unless you get an epic bow, the quality of life for a bow user is much lower than that of anyone else.

do you think we'll be in late game before 3.0 release for us? i heard RU is getting 3.0 next month.. but is that confirmed?

for my current gs around 3.5k as a primeval I am blowing people up in 4k+ gs but, it's not to say the archery is good prime are easy targets for the meta classes so you'll die fast if you play stupid. with 3.0 they buffed the range and changed a few other things that helped the prime feel better as a long ranged class. In my honest opinion if you want to meta chase play one of the big three (Abolisher, Darkrunner, Daggerspell/song) they are faceroll and with more gear you get even stronger with little effort.

For perspective: will full celestial t4 everything, as a primeval, I farm 300 prince purses an hour. Archery can be good in pve, but don't expect it to be god tier in pvp.

For Prime to be viable in pvp you've got to have good ping, seeing as the class is highly based on evasion and kiting. You've got to be able to predict enemy movements and mobility able to avoid getting locked into a trip/snare combo. NOT TO MENTION if they're in plate and rolling a shield all you're going to be hearing is little tinks and parrys and seeing a whole lot of 1's on your screen. 10/10 enjoy the playstyle of prime, but it is truly weak as hell against a majority of classes.

For Prime to be viable in pvp you've got to have good ping, seeing as the class is highly based on evasion and kiting. You've got to be able to predict enemy movements and mobility able to avoid getting locked into a trip/snare combo. NOT TO MENTION if they're in plate and rolling a shield all you're going to be hearing is little tinks and parrys and seeing a whole lot of 1's on your screen. 10/10 enjoy the playstyle of prime, but it is truly weak as hell against a majority of classes.

That's pretty much what I've read now from a few different sources. So, eliminating the Prime as an option, what about going with a Trickster or even an Infiltrator? I saw another post about the Infiltrator and thought it was interesting though the mobility pretty much sucks. The Trickster at least gives some good CC.

One of the problems I have with the mage classes it just feels like you have to go through this extensive setup in order to effectively drop a nuke on the target. That, and if you screw up just a slight bit, you're so squishy that you're dead in a few seconds.

I really love this game but I'm finding it hard as hell to pick a class that works for my crazy playstyle combined with my noobish skills. :(

Just another thought - If any of you have ever played GW2, my favorite class/build in the game was the old-school Dagger/Dagger Elementalist. I just LOVED how fast paced it was and how much versatility I had. Once the class was gimped beyond repair, I went over to a Longbow Ranger/Druid and ended up really enjoying it. Back in my mind though, I still missed my old Ele...

That's pretty much what I've read now from a few different sources. So, eliminating the Prime as an option, what about going with a Trickster or even an Infiltrator? I saw another post about the Infiltrator and thought it was interesting though the mobility pretty much sucks. The Trickster at least gives some good CC.

One of the problems I have with the mage classes it just feels like you have to go through this extensive setup in order to effectively drop a nuke on the target. That, and if you screw up just a slight bit, you're so squishy that you're dead in a few seconds.

I really love this game but I'm finding it hard as hell to pick a class that works for my crazy playstyle combined with my noobish skills. :(

Just another thought - If any of you have ever played GW2, my favorite class/build in the game was the old-school Dagger/Dagger Elementalist. I just LOVED how fast paced it was and how much versatility I had. Once the class was gimped beyond repair, I went over to a Longbow Ranger/Druid and ended up really enjoying it. Back in my mind though, I still missed my old Ele...

I have never played GW2 but the Elementalists sounds like an Enigmatist sort of class (Sorc/Aura/Shad). It’s a very fast paced mage and very versatile. It’s also a strong class right now. Although I am not sure what you leveled as or if you are 55 yet but you will have to go for cloth armor instead of leather/plate and a Staff/Sceptre. I have never played enigmatist either though so I would not be the person to tell you what you need gear wise but I am sure someone here knows.

Back