• Ebonsong

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Trickster

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Oracle

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

Maid

Hello. As much as I love Archery I cannot decide on class that I wanna play, so I need some help.
Can you guys tell me which class is the best out of these three and why?
And what gear to use, since I'm still new to the game after coming back to it from 2 years break.
Thanks in advance!
wX7dShp.png

Honestly I think it depends on what you want to do.

I would suggest staying away from Oracle. Songcraft is a mana whore and archery gets a bit demanding when it comes to mana as well. Your mana pool will not be that big and there is a good possibility that you will run out of mana before anyone dies.

If your goal is to deal damage then I would lean towards Trickster or Primeval:

Trickster can be a real dick to fight because of all the interrupts but they lack little means of escape. (Pretty much only limited to backdrop from shadowplay.) This would mean that most melee fighters would be able to get up in your face and stay there. Your fears will be able to give you some time to run but you would not be able to cover enough ground to escape them.

Primeval doesn't experience this problem nearly as often. Since you will be rocking both teleports and, most likely, teleport reset; you will be able to increase the gap between your attacker and yourself. Primevals are all about kiting the enemy and being obnoxious with their teleports.

Both Trickster and Primeval are good for PVP and PVE though for raids Primeval is the go to archery class. Once I know more about what you specifically want to do I can offer some more advice.

Well, I'm slightly tired of playing support in every single game that I'm currently playing, so I wanted to try out dps.
Thanks for your input by the way! So it's either Trickster or Primeval? I'm mostly Pve player but I don't really mind Pvp if I'll get some gear.
Is there any good way to get some gear after hitting 45-50 level? I don't really have any friends in game yet, so can't ask for carries.
Both Trickster and Primeval are good for PVP and PVE though for raids Primeval is the go to archery class. Once I know more about what you specifically want to do I can offer some more advice.

Have you thought about Liberator ? It mixes melee with range and is a serious contender in 1v1/2 PvP and is a grind machine for PvE. You can't run away from a liberator, nor die as one.

Battlerage/Defence/Archery.

Have you thought about Liberator ? It mixes melee with range and is a serious contender in 1v1/2 PvP and is a grind machine for PvE. You can't run away from a liberator, nor die as one.

Battlerage/Defence/Archery.
I don't really like melee, but thanks for advice!

I don't really like melee, but thanks for advice!

You use the melee skills (battlerage) more for mobility than you do for attacking anything. The only time you will be really using them, is for the charge > triple slash > precision strike combo for anti-kiting purposes.

If you are going to be taking battlerage you might as well just do a melee class. If you wanted mobility that is what auramancy and shadowplay are for.

I personally like trickster more than primeval because witchcraft is douchey. The trickster build I use emphasises using the Fiend from Witchcraft to use as an extra annoyance factor. It is entirely up to you but you can stack int along with agility so you can have 100% magic accuracy. Int also gives you evasion and crit rate. You could have a build that has up to a passive 38% evasion. Add in shadowplay's consecutive evasion that gives another 18% and you 56% evasion. However the more int you stack the less agility you will be stacking and you will end up with a lower amount of ranged attack. Magic attack also does not improve the damage of the fiend at all.

As far as getting gear goes, Auroria gear is pretty cheap or you can farm it yourself. Since you PVE here is a build that can do well in PVE and PVP http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/498499

I'm more into ranged dps, so I'll try Trickster.
I just don't like melee, sorry qq
Thanks for that build, but what about gear? Any specific one that I should get?

Obsidian Armor for sure. Gale Guards and Belt. Weapon/s are up to you. You could do agility obsidian shortspear and agility obsidian dagger for more agility (obviously) and ranged crit damage. You could also do a shield instead of the dagger for a bit more beef and defense. The bow is up to you. If you want you can do an obsidian bow or try and shoot for an ayanad. If you are planning on getting enough Int to where you will have 100% magic accuracy you will need an ayanad wave bow. Otherwise ayanad gale would be preferred.

If you are going to be taking battlerage you might as well just do a melee class. If you wanted mobility that is what auramancy and shadowplay are for.

I personally like trickster more than primeval because witchcraft is douchey. The trickster build I use emphasises using the Fiend from Witchcraft to use as an extra annoyance factor. It is entirely up to you but you can stack int along with agility so you can have 100% magic accuracy. Int also gives you evasion and crit rate. You could have a build that has up to a passive 38% evasion. Add in shadowplay's consecutive evasion that gives another 18% and you 56% evasion. However the more int you stack the less agility you will be stacking and you will end up with a lower amount of ranged attack. Magic attack also does not improve the damage of the fiend at all.

As far as getting gear goes, Auroria gear is pretty cheap or you can farm it yourself. Since you PVE here is a build that can do well in PVE and PVP http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/498499

You under estimate the mobility of battlerage. It has literally the best movement in the game. Pretty much all the main skills increase movement speed. Charge + tigerstrike + behind enemy lines all proc for continuous movement. Not even shadow + aura combined cn match the speed of battlerage.

Battlerage is not OP because of its damage, its because of its shear amount of mobility. Dont advise people who want to kite, to take things like auramancy which has 2 long cooldown skills for mobility and shadowplay which also has two. Battlerage has low cooldown mobility that cant be matched. There is a reason Darkrunners spec for it .......... And its not for its dps lol.

Also do not recommend obsidian for a ranged class ............. If you are ranged, never take a shield. Spec dagger for crit or a sword for parry.

So what armour would you recommend?
I'm not used to melee, so only ranged classes are working in my case. So daggers/shortspear&dagger/Spec&dagger? Noted!

You under estimate the mobility of battlerage. It has literally the best movement in the game. Pretty much all the main skills increase movement speed. Charge + tigerstrike + behind enemy lines all proc for continuous movement. Not even shadow + aura combined cn match the speed of battlerage.

Battlerage is not OP because of its damage, its because of its shear amount of mobility. Dont advise people who want to kite, to take things like auramancy which has 2 long cooldown skills for mobility and shadowplay which also has two. Battlerage has low cooldown mobility that cant be matched. There is a reason Darkrunners spec for it .......... And its not for its dps lol.

Also do not recommend obsidian for a ranged class ............. If you are ranged, never take a shield. Spec dagger for crit or a sword for parry.

I dont underestimate battlerage considering I use it. Issues are if you are rolling an archer you will be lacking in the the str department to make it so your proposed charge > triple slash > precision strike combo has the possibility of missing and just closing the gap. Also Behind enemy lines would be the only BR mobility skill an archer would want to take considering its the only one that doesn't require a target to use. Why would you want to use charge or tiger strike for mobility when it will close the gap, making it easier for melee to hit you and also weaken you because archery skills lose damage when they are less than 10m from the target. Also you would need to have a total of 9 points in Battlerage to get the passive that gives move speed from charge, tigerstrike and behind enemy lines. Battlerage does not benefit an archer. If they wanted to roll a hybrid ranged+melee dps class, then sure. But pure archer? No.

The shield is proposed more for trickster than prim because of the lack of mobility trickster offers but as I said it is up to them.

Sword for parry is a joke. The active hardly ever procs and even after it does it can take up to 2 minutes before it procs again. Also, lack of strength makes it so parry rate is going to be low so you are just relying on the proc. At least with a shield you can put block rate gems in it and increase your block rate higher than your parry would be, on top of giving you more health and defense (not that it will matter in pvp considering if a melee or a mage hits you you will die anyway)

Also why would you not recommend obsidian armor for an archer? It gives you both agility and stamina on top of giving you more ranged attack, crit damage and a little extra physical defense. If you want to suggest they don't roll obsidian at least tell them what they should roll instead.

Last edited:
Stone Arrow used to be rather viable on the other servers, it offers the same movement abilities (or lack there-of) that Trickster has but instead of spec'ing WitchCraft for CC you go into Defense. This will allow you to tank some DR burst dmg and offer you a chance to pop redoubt and turn the tables with a trip of your own. I'm surprised no one mentioned it, maybe it's not as effective on this server with all the high GS people running around.

I have never seen any Archer use BR effectively, it's for hybrid builds and using a Shield would also likely benefit any Archer that is forced into close range fights either way. If you have gear to run BR in a build with Archery you can likely just run any melee build a well as any archery build, OP is obviously not geared enough to shine in both at the same time.

Better to play a ranger than an Oracle. Stealth lets you choose your fights. Also, Ebonsong is a T1 class in 3.0. Zeal doesn't affect physical damage in 2.9.
Prepare yourself properly before switching to archer. It's the most gear intensive class in the game.
You need to be ahead of the curve to be decent. Right now that means having a celestial ayanad bow MINIMUM. Even then DR's 1k GS below you will quickly kill you when they catch you.

Bumps, 3.0 is here. So Ebonsong still is gonna be the best for someone who likes Archery/small support/full dps?

Last edited:
Bumps, 3.0 is here. So still Ebonsong is gonna be the best for someone who likes Archery/small support/full dps?

Of those 3 yes, Ebonsong is still the best choice :D and best fits your description

Better to play a ranger than an Oracle. Stealth lets you choose your fights. Also, Ebonsong is a T1 class in 3.0. Zeal doesn't affect physical damage in 2.9.
Prepare yourself properly before switching to archer. It's the most gear intensive class in the game.
You need to be ahead of the curve to be decent. Right now that means having a celestial ayanad bow MINIMUM. Even then DR's 1k GS below you will quickly kill you when they catch you.
Oracle with teleport reset is a very good archery build, only problem is mana. Ranger is good too but no teleport resets/ auramancy you will get caught

Hey, Archery player here.
For PvE: I recommend Ranger with an Obsidian+ Shortspear and Dagger (offheals for days). You have decent CC and AoE with a Bonewall>Missile Rain>Skewer combo, which is good for grinding early on (if you're playing mostly solo.) Having two weapons gives you the Dual Wielding buff, which gives you a free 111 Attack Speed. The dagger proc further increases attack speed, while the spear proc ignores all armor, and has a 10% chance to proc (essentially another free critical hit, on top of your already high critical hit.) The only problem you really have with this class is that you have no ability to remove CC's on yourself, except with blessing. Vitalism also munches mana. And you only have back drop to aid you, along with stealth. (Though Backdrop>Throw Dagger>Charged Bolt is a free stun, if all of them hit.)

PvP: I highly recommend Primeval. Archery has good range, nearly no cast times, and a focus on kiting. Auramancy and Shadowplay feed that playstyle quite a bit. Trickster is much better suited for PvP groups, as you can essentially CC someone for at least 20 seconds. But both have rather poor AoE damage. I recommend double daggers all the way, for twice the procs of speed boost to sustain high DPS. Regardless, though, you can use an Obsidian Shortspear as well, which gives more versatility. And if you're not able to hurt a higher gear player, attack speed wont help as much a essentially hitting max damage 10% of the time.

Oracle is a healer build, and can't fight too well on their own. It's more like an off class of healing with your DPS coming in when you need to move. Problem with this, though, is that you'll need a staff for magic damage, a spear for ranged and healing. It's better to stick with something that can focus on one thing at a time, instead.

But regardless of your choice, you need to know that the only way to not die in PvP is to not get stunned by Darkrunners. Auramancy removes stun, and gives you the ability to teleport away from dark runners.

Really, the main problem is Darkrunners in general. It's too easy to kill anyone and anything as a DR.

Back