What's new

Why can't we talk about RNG loot boxs?

Scylon

Hey Ironlady,

Why is it "taboo" to talk about them (all topics getting locked)? I think the community is seeking a bit of clarity regarding these.

Myself, putting RNG boxs make the server no different from live really. There is a bit of P2w now which most people accept but the RnG boxs are a hot topic though.

Hey Ironlady,

Why is it "taboo" to talk about them (all topics getting locked)? I think the community is seeking a bit of clarity regarding these.

Myself, putting RNG boxs make the server no different from live really. There is a bit of P2w now which most people accept but the RnG boxs are a hot topic though.

I think the only threads being locked were about the mod... and things were getting out of hand.

Having a discussion over the RNG boxes seems completely fine - contingent on things remaining civilized.

I personally am fine with RNG but it should be like 50%/50% - not the Trion crap of buying 400 boxes and winning twice.

It depends what they contain but we've already seen that the community wouldn't mind having lucky points in the boxes. Kind of says a lot.

It depends what they contain but we've already seen that the community wouldn't mind having lucky points in the boxes. Kind of says a lot.

I've put $300 into Trion's crates and didn't even win the lucky mount. That is intolerable.

I think it adds a direct p2w element into the game. You can get them from loyalty right now. If you down $50 to get instant win I think it will make a large imbalance in the game.

I think it adds a direct p2w element into the game. You can get them from loyalty right now. If you down $50 to get instant win I think it will make a large imbalance in the game.

As opposed to just buying them off the market for less effort/relatively cheaper?

Keep in mind the large supply of lucky points would sink the ingame price, so even if you don't drop real money into the game you can still compete. You just gotta pay the gold for it.

I don't know. I just feel using real money to buff you character/give an advantage, (which they are), defeats the purpose of actually earning it.

I like cash shops if they are cosmetic in nature. Most of the stuff other then the tree house is nice.

I don't know. I just feel using real money to buff you character/give an advantage, (which they are), defeats the purpose of actually earning it.

I like cash shops if they are cosmetic in nature. Most of the stuff other then the tree house is nice.
The game was designed to be this way. I'm not sure people would even bother playing AA if it didn't have some sort of pay to progress, the game has too much RNG and it requires insane amounts of gold that people who have school/work/responsibilities just wouldn't be able to get, people that probably wouldn't mind spending a couple to just keep up. Obviously this comes with the downside that people who have lots of money can just pay to win, but those whales are few and far between.
You can DEFINITELY keep up with people that cash, even as a f2p. It will just require you to focus a lot of time into the game. (Forget about catching up to the whales though.)

Indeed. Still, I guess I had hopes that rage would move away from that model. All they would need to do is add the items to the loot tables. Hell add them into the unused dungeons and give them a purpose.

I know they aren't going to do that, I'm just saying they could.

The game was designed to be this way. I'm not sure people would even bother playing AA if it didn't have some sort of pay to progress, the game has too much RNG and it requires insane amounts of gold that people who have school/work/responsibilities just wouldn't be able to get, people that probably wouldn't mind spending a couple to just keep up. Obviously this comes with the downside that people who have lots of money can just pay to win, but those whales are few and far between.
You can DEFINITELY keep up with people that cash, even as a f2p. It will just require you to focus a lot of time into the game. (Forget about catching up to the whales though.)

I really hate arguments that use this line. MMO's werent always this way before the introduction of cash shops, some of the biggest MMO's that have ever been made never used cash shops to allow people with little time to progress. You either played to progress or you didn't, cash shops in the grand scheme of things are new. No one asked for them, they were slowly introduced to it and learnt to accept it.

No one should ever have to pay to be competitive, they either put in the time or they remain at the bottom. /Signed heavy cash shopper

I really hate arguments that use this line. MMO's werent always this way before the introduction of cash shops, some of the biggest MMO's that have ever been made never used cash shops to allow people with little time to progress. You either played to progress or you didn't, cash shops in the grand scheme of things are new. No one asked for them, they were slowly introduced to it and learnt to accept it.

No one should ever have to pay to be competitive, they either put in the time or they remain at the bottom. /Signed heavy cash shopper
I don't disagree with you, I'd be very very happy if AA or any other game I'd consider playing was completely fair and your strength would rely purely on your time invested into the game. Sadly that is not the case.
Only reason cash shops are prevalent is because gamers accepted them with their arms open, the ones that complain are always a minority imo. After all, if players didn't want cash shops they should never buy things from them, make a statement that, NO, we do not want cash shops in our games. But that doesn't happen.
Just look at the Asian market for mobile games, it sells like craaaaaaaaaaaazy and we all know how p2w the mobile genre is.
Also AA is a free to play game, it has to make money somehow. And no, arguing that LoL or other cosmetic based cash shop game is successful doesn't work, they're completely different games and they've been designed with completely different cash shops in mind.

Things won't change either way, just look at the recent EA scandal. Even after all that backlash they still want to integrate their p2w system, just at a later date though.
I agree though, completely fair environment > pay to progress.

No one should ever have to pay to be competitive
And this is where the line is drawn: at what point are you feeling required to pay to stay relevant in the game. So far NA has done good with not making players feel obligated to cash, and I'd like to think they would introduce somewhat fair rates in getting luckies. Just know that the rate of getting luckies in rng chests will be proportional to their market value.

There was nothing particularly useful in those boxes. Unless you think the p2wers are going to down you with companion crusts and fireworks...

At the moment, converting credits to gold is more useful than buying the boxes. The difference is that Trion boxes contained lucky points, lunarite, synthium stones, archeum, things that directly increased the gear of your character.

The very best thing I've seen from these boxes is an extra 500 labor every 9 hours. That's a far cry from the boxes in Trion's cashshop. At the moment they are nothing to worry about.

Let me put it this way. I can get 1 of these lucky sun things once every 2 weeks.

However if I drop $100 into a cash shop I am likely to end up with 10 of them (depending on the numbers they put in as this is an example).

It's a crude example however it explains in black and white how swiping can change your gear from regular joe, to God like and all it took was cash. Also you are correct, you can use gold to buy the extras that are likely to appear in the AH. However the question is, how long do you think people should have to grind, farm, trade ect to earn the cash to catch up when someone can use a credit card and get to that goal in a few seconds.

Those extras that appear are also from people using the shop. It is almost the same as buying gold from gold sellers. The only thing that changes here is the supplier.

Let me put it this way. I can get 1 of these lucky sun things once every 2 weeks.

However if I drop $100 into a cash shop I am likely to end up with 10 of them (depending on the numbers they put in as this is an example).

It's a crude example however it explains in black and white how swiping can change your gear from regular joe, to God like and all it took was cash. Also you are correct, you can use gold to buy the extras that are likely to appear in the AH. However the question is, how long do you think people should have to grind, farm, trade ect to earn the cash to catch up when someone can use a credit card and get to that goal in a few seconds.

Those extras that appear are also from people using the shop. It is almost the same as buying gold from gold sellers. The only thing that changes here is the supplier.
Except that no points of any kind are in those boxes. You really need to go to the thread that lists the contents of the boxes. There is nothing in them particularly powerful. If you just sold those credits, going back to prices before donations went down, you'd have 2.5k gold which would net you three lucky sunpoints off the AH. But if you just spent it on gamble boxes you'd mostly have exp and run speed gummies.

Except that no points of any kind are in those boxes. You really need to go to the thread that lists the contents of the boxes. There is nothing in them particularly powerful. If you just sold those credits, going back to prices before donations went down, you'd have 2.5k gold which would net you three lucky sunpoints off the AH. But if you just spent it on gamble boxes you'd mostly have exp and run speed gummies.

he's speaking hypothetically - like when they come out with the points inside.

@ OP - reason every thread get's locked is because they are tired of speculation. Until something comes out, then you respond. Everyone that talksa bout RNG boxes sounds like a bunch of consipiracy theroist. yeah i didn't spell it right. Bite me..

he's speaking hypothetically - like when they come out with the points inside.

@ OP - reason every thread get's locked is because they are tired of speculation. Until something comes out, then you respond. Everyone that talksa bout RNG boxes sounds like a bunch of consipiracy theroist. yeah i didn't spell it right. Bite me..
So really RNG boxes aren't the issue. It's their future, possible, content. Maybe instead of a post against RNG boxes, we should be discussing what's we're okay with seeing in RNG boxes. Many people are okay with lucky sunpoints being in boxes because they want to spend 200 gold a point instead of 700 gold. That's something to consider too. Limiting p2w just makes winning more expensive for swipers, but next to impossible for non-swipers.

So really RNG boxes aren't the issue. It's their future, possible, content. Maybe instead of a post against RNG boxes, we should be discussing what's we're okay with seeing in RNG boxes. Many people are okay with lucky sunpoints being in boxes because they want to spend 200 gold a point instead of 700 gold. That's something to consider too. Limiting p2w just makes winning more expensive for swipers, but next to impossible for non-swipers.

Or we can just wait till the boxes come, see what's inside vs the rates and go from there. I feel like that's the simplest thing to do. The admin's would be more receptive of idea's if they could get their idea's out in the open first.

Throwing posts like this around only hinder's the process of what they're actually developing which is why they appointed 2 moderator's that didn't work out so well. We should just chill on these posts till things are fixed that they're actually working on and then comment accordingly. My 2cents though for what it's worth.

Back