What's new

Kraken

What should happen with kraken?

• Kraken should despawn after 3 hours.

Votes: 23 25.0%
  • Kraken should lose maximum hp every hour that it's up.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Nothing should change.

Votes: 46 50.0%
  • I have a different idea.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kraken should despawn after an agreed upon amount of hours.

Votes: 13 14.1%

• Total voters
The point isn't for kraken to not be killed, the point is for there to be something in place to prevent long drawn out krakens where the loot goes to whoever stays up later.

Then why do you agree with this ?

5 hour despawn

Setting a despawn to 5 hours doesn't help speeding up a Kraken kill at all. What you ask for and what you agree with is contradictory. By agreeing with Shay you say nothing else but "If a party can't kill it in x hours, nobody deserves to get the loot and it should vanish."

A despawn will do nothing but reduce the already measly amount of ink sacs available.

I like how all the people that rarely or never show up to kraken are the ones against changing it. lol.
Percisely this. If you haven’t been to a kraken and don’t actively contest/attempt kraken you really have no right to vote.

Why not ? Many people need an ink sac at one point or another, those who attend Kraken just as much as people who don't. This poll affects everyone who needs Kraken mats, regardless of their attendancy.

cMmbPM0.jpg

Also funny to see such a statement coming from people part of the nation that voted against a suggested change that they - according to you - weren't supposed to vote in. None of PN1 had impact on what I was complaining about in the Halcyona thread, yet they voted against a change.

Ignorant of you to think that I voted against it. I clearly made different suggestions to combat the issue, so where my vote went should've been clear and even obvious to people like Skanks.

Last edited:
Then why do you agree with this ?

Setting a despawn to 5 hours doesn't help speeding up a Kraken kill at all. What you ask for and what you agree with is contradictory. By agreeing with Shay you say nothing else but "If a party can't kill it in x hours, nobody deserves to get the loot and it should vanish."

I can't tell if you're trolling or just stupid. I said "the point isn't for kraken not to be killed", I never said that wouldn't be one of the outcomes of the change. I clearly stated the point was to put something in place to prevent long drawn out krakens where the loot goes to whoever stays up later than the other. Me agreeing to a 5 hour despawn isn't contradicting in the slightest.

Should make kraken ink sac a timed item for 12 days. Make it so that it expires after 12 days, forcing the people who have them to either list them on the auction house or get them out to other members quicker. Once purchased via auction house, this item should become untradeable and bind on pickup. This will force ink sacs into the economy, regardless of who kills it or not

I can't tell if you're trolling or just stupid.

Same man. Thought this already when I read your suggestion to have kraken despawn and heavily drop the availability of ink sacs. Only a troll would ask for a change like this.

Should make kraken ink sac a timed item for 12 days.

I like the idea but I don't think you can put items on the AH that have a running timer. Only sealed items. I don't know if the devs have the ability to change that.

Last edited:
Same man. Thought this already when I ready your suggestion to have kraken despawn and heavily drop the availability. Only a troll would ask for a change like this.

I like the idea but I don't think you can put items on the AH that have a running timer. Only sealed items. I don't know if the devs have the ability to change that.

could add a special item in game that 'seals' the kraken ink sac, but continues the timer. Sealing/wrapping it should allow it to be put on the auction house, regardless -- I feel this is the best option to introduce ink sacs into the economy

Should make kraken ink sac a timed item for 12 days. Make it so that it expires after 12 days, forcing the people who have them to either list them on the auction house or get them out to other members quicker. Once purchased via auction house, this item should become untradeable and bind on pickup. This will force ink sacs into the economy, regardless of who kills it or not
I don't believe it would be possible to make an item work like that and still be able to be listed to the auction house or have tradeable properties.

could add a special item in game that 'seals' the kraken ink sac, but continues the timer. Sealing/wrapping it should allow it to be put on the auction house, regardless -- I feel this is the best option to introduce ink sacs into the economy
This doesn't make any sense either. Furthermore, please visit this recent post from Sparkle where he/she said the Kraken Ink Sac item will not be changed.

___

The underlying item (Kraken Ink Sac) and the supply of it will not be changed, so if anything is to be altered, it must be the boss itself.

Last edited:
8-hour krakens suck, let's change it. Here are some options that I think would make kraken less aids:

Option 1: Kraken should despawn after 3 hours.
On the live 3.5 patch, kraken was changed to a 3 hour despawn timer because kraken would just go to whoever stayed up later than the other. (This is how it's supposed to be for this patch)

Option 2: Kraken should lose a set amount of health every hour.
This is a custom idea that some people thought of so that kraken doesn't take an excessive amount of time and still guarantees kraken be killed without despawning. I think 10% hp per hour sounds fair. (This would prevent a deficit on ink sacs)

Option 3: Nothing should change.
Leave kraken as is.

Option 4: I have a different idea.
Leave your idea in the comments.

Option 5: Kraken should despawn after an agreed upon amount of hours.
Chose this option if you think kraken should despawn but 3 hours isn't an acceptable amount of time.

i Love how long kraken fights are, personaly i aim for 17h kraken fights nothing should change. C ya on kraken ;)

Why not ? Many people need an ink sac at one point or another, those who attend Kraken just as much as people who don't. This poll affects everyone who needs Kraken mats, regardless of their attendancy.

cMmbPM0.jpg

Also funny to see such a statement coming from people part of the nation that voted against a suggested change that they - according to you - weren't supposed to vote in. None of PN1 had impact on what I was complaining about in the Halcyona thread, yet they voted against a change.

Ignorant of you to think that I voted against it. I clearly made different suggestions to combat the issue, so where my vote went should've been clear and even obvious to people like Skanks.

The title of the thread you are posting those results from directly named PNs and pirates, and I posted both a vote and my thoughts on the event coming from a long-time west player who had to deal with PN showing up literally every day for a month to end the event because of Fortitude being on east. PN1 also periodically goes to first halcyona (reset) which although your thread was specifically complaining about Endgame at the second event, your proposed changes would presumably affect both event times.

I told Vinchino when he was talking about making this that with no way to restrict voting between the two pns and pirate faction / east (people who have tried to kill kraken in recent history) it would simply be flooded with votes from people who don't understand what is going on, bringing up personal vendettas and out-of-context information without relevance to the situation at hand. West hasn't actually tried to kill kraken since I left and primarily serves as a player farm for other factions, there's not a single content-oriented guild there and hasn't been for some months. At most krakens there is not a single player from West present barring adorable or ironhead members stealthing to get kill credit for the dream ring quest. They are entirely justified in calling out players who enter a debate over a situation they have no right to offer input on.

Since every other faction is currently booming with players that show up to try to kill kraken and need ink sacs for their gear, there simply isn't more ink sacs to go around for inactive or raid-averse players. People have this crazy notion that the PNs hoard ink sacs when in reality they tend to be consumed very shortly after acquisition due to having a) active players that can actually afford to tier up gear and b) a high demand to be in the best possible gear to continue successfully contesting high-demand world bosses.

Adding a despawn timer won't change this issue, since right now one faction wins after the other has to leave for work / real life obligations - that faction gets an ink sac to address the first person on the list (out of potentially dozens, I can't speak for endgame but I know we have a long list) but the demand from the other factions out there contesting doesn't magically go away, it just keeps growing. Short of making kraken drop multiple ink sacs which we were told wasn't an option here, nothing will change this problem. Adding a despawn timer is a quality of life feature for people who actually go to kraken and in the long run will force the active factions to stop playing so terribly in order to actually kill the boss. With four factions actively contesting the boss, the possibility for backdoor deals (like the previous west/east alliance for kraken) is very interesting and having a shorter window to kill the boss would force adaptation to meet the demand for kraken items.

TL;DR- A lot of people are fighting over kraken right now, and the people that want ink sacs but don't go to kraken don't understand why adding a despawn timer won't change the in-faction demand for ink sacs from the people who actually kill it. A despawn timer would also spur development in the major groups on the server and increase the quality of pvp with large rvr and actual attempts to kill the boss instead of roaching and 1v1s for hours.

EDIT - Important to consider also that the current 24 hour timer is a custom change from 3.5 (revert)

Kraken pvp is fun for the first hour or two. But after some time it becomes draining and repetitive. A despawn timer would leave more time for other events and diverse pvp.

Also I do hope that the admins look at the difference in numbers between the people who want a change and people who don't rather than all of the options. If we agree on wanting changes let it be confirmed that they will come and then we can discuss what those changes can be.

Last edited:
Also I do hope that the admins look at the difference in numbers between the people who want a change and people who don't rather than all of the options. If we agree on wanting changes let it be confirmed that they will come and then we can discuss what those changes can be.

I was thinking the same thing

I'd like either a 4 or 5 hour despawn timer. Anything less than 4 hours is too short imo and anything beyond 5 hours just becomes a massive cancerfest that is extremely taxing on the players. Just let it be done at that point and it was contested heavily since it went that long so instead of just handing it to the biggest nerds around who live for nothing else just let the thing despawn. Setting a real despawn time makes all the sides really have to put in big coordinated effort to get the kill which is how it should be.

If u make it 5h kraken will die very rarely and make crafting itmes worth x times more.
Meaby 1/3 ppl that go kraken voted in this topic.
Noone force you to be 10h on kraken that ur own choice its totaly up to you how much time you spend.

Entire post is just wierd and sudenly apears after kraken become properly contested, If you are not ready to contest for hours dont contest easy as that.

Last edited:
If u make it 5h kraken will die very rarely and make crafting itmes worth x times more.
Noone force you to be 10h on kraken that ur own choice its totaly up to you how much time you spend.

Entire post is just wierd and sudenly apears after kraken become properly contested, If you are not ready to contest for hours dont contest easy as that.

I like how the guy that said ravenspines aren't op and should exist in their pre-nerfed form thinks their opinion holds any weight in balancing game mechanics.

I'm still not sure why we have a custom mechanic that favors the non-NA players on an NA server. It just doesn't make sense to me why the solution to getting kraken on an NA server is to recruit more non-NA players.

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
I like how the guy that said ravenspines aren't op and should exist in their pre-nerfed form thinks their opinion holds any weight in balancing game mechanics.

I'm still not sure why we have a custom mechanic that favors the non-NA players on an NA server. It just doesn't make sense to me why the solution to getting kraken on an NA server is to recruit more non-NA players.

Its not custom mechanic. It is how kraken always was in later patches is changes. Stop try change game in ur favour when u cant control a part of it, u can always kiss with pn2 like you did yesterday and kill kraken together ;)

Vinchino its only NA sever ? Non-NA ppl shouldnt play here ? Or what adventage that EU players have over NA that u have recruit them for kraken it starts at midnight for EU you understand that ? MIDNIGHT and ppl stay for 10h after that. And u need admins help cuz u cant pvp and contest ? I never seen so weak players.

I like how u try devalue my comments and you putting yourself on a position of a person that dicide who should talk and who not. Lucky for every non-NA person you have no such power.

Last edited:

That's not necessarily true. Players / Guilds can currently afford to play EXTREMELY conservatively at Kraken (drag it around for 1hr and wait until a very ample time to kill it) due to the long (24h) timer. If the timer was shortened to 12, 5, 3, 1 hour(s) it would force guilds to play more aggressively if they ever want to kill kraken and stall tactics wouldn't work as well. It's extremely boring to reset kraken over and over again, and just sit on your boat for hours just driving around and blowing up anyone who attempts the boss for hours.

Another proposition is to make Red Dragon and Kraken spawn at the same times each day, that way if a particular guild is just going to stall and cockroach the boss for hours there is at least some consequence for doing so (they won't have a chance at the other boss).

Lol complaining that you don't wanna stay up late, didn't work.
So now it's the evil europeans that are to fault. Wonder what card Vinchino is gonna try to pull next.
Late krakens favor EU players. Never heard such a bullshit. Starts at minight for central europe and 8hrs end at 8am. If you think that favors anyone in the EU you are simply oblivious and/or making up excuses.
You're trying to nullify havoc's input about the topic because of previous statements regarding balance in the past.
You say krakens this long are boring and not enjoyable to anyone.
Yet you sit in gladiator with your 100% win-rate as you stealth lassitude cheese people playing daggerspell every single round. Maybe ask the players you've played against how much fun they have had in those duels. I doubt they had any. So don't try to act like your opinion on balance has any more value over those from other players.
Kraken isn't unkillable and a group of people simply found a workaround on how to win it against players that used to dominate it.

Last edited:
People who don't go to Kraken most likely voted against any changes. It means more uncontested content for them if there are 100 6-8k+ gearscore players tied up in the West Arcadian Sea, far away from all trade runs and minor world bosses.

Back