What's new

Aqua Farming

vulgrr

So I have two major gripes about aqua farming.

First, the return rate on seeds used in aqua farms is *abysmal* for things like coral and pearls. Pearls seem to be hard locked at a rate of 2 per seed, and coral basically never returns 4. Can the rates for these seeds be looked at? It already sucks that you're forced to swim around and wait hours at a time for seeds (half a day in a lot of cases), only to get paltry returns. They should really be returning mostly 3 and 4, probably at a 60/40% split. And honestly, the larger seed types, like coral, should be returning 4 80% of the time, given how much real estate they take up. The design for them was made to be a pointless time sink.

Secondly, those god damn annoying Shatigons Sandstorms that appear way too much after harvesting seeds, forcing you to double harvest an area. I am *soooooooooooooooo* sick and tired of them, as I'm sure many people are. I have a very simple solution. When they proc as a spawn, please spawn them 10 meters ABOVE the aqua farm, that way they don't get in the way. We can then choose to ignore them and let them expire, or harvest them.

Can someone on the AR team take a look at this? It would seriously improve quality of life

First, the return rate on seeds used in aqua farms is *abysmal* for things like coral and pearls. Pearls seem to be hard locked at a rate of 2 per seed, and coral basically never returns 4. Can the rates for these seeds be looked at? It already sucks that you're forced to swim around and wait hours at a time for seeds (half a day in a lot of cases), only to get paltry returns. They should really be returning mostly 3 and 4, probably at a 60/40% split. And honestly, the larger seed types, like coral, should be returning 4 80% of the time, given how much real estate they take up. The design for them was made to be a pointless time sink.

Secondly, those god damn annoying Shatigons Sandstorms that appear way too much after harvesting seeds, forcing you to double harvest an area. I am *soooooooooooooooo* sick and tired of them, as I'm sure many people are. I have a very simple solution. When they proc as a spawn, please spawn them 10 meters ABOVE the aqua farm, that way they don't get in the way. We can then choose to ignore them and let them expire, or harvest them.

Can someone on the AR team take a look at this? It would seriously improve quality of life

I kinda like this, but i harvest my tidal bungalow once maybe twice a day depending on the times i place them. I average around 200 antler coral per harvest and around 200 red and white coral .. i have yet to put any pearls down.

As far as the whirlpools are concerned.. you do realize that you can press G by default and it will make it disappear instantly right?

I reckon it fine the way it is and the AR team can concentrate on more important things

vulgrr. is your aquafarm in a temperate climate? you get more coral per harvest in the right climate. check your coral seeds. also, i get 3-4 corals per harvest. im in the right zone type and have high gathering skill.

I kinda like this, but i harvest my tidal bungalow once maybe twice a day depending on the times i place them. I average around 200 antler coral per harvest and around 200 red and white coral .. i have yet to put any pearls down.

As far as the whirlpools are concerned.. you do realize that you can press G by default and it will make it disappear instantly right?

It doesn't make it go away instantly. You still have to "uproot" it to make it go away. This is a massive gripe of mine, as it is more time wasted, and forces more visits to the rebreather. Maybe it's different on bunaglos, but I doubt it.

vulgrr. is your aquafarm in a temperate climate? you get more coral per harvest in the right climate. check your coral seeds. also, i get 3-4 corals per harvest. im in the right zone type and have high gathering skill.

Yes I'm in a temperate zone, and yes I have previously had high gathering. This has always been an issue. Coral takes up massive real estate on an aqua farm, and rarely returns 4. Pearls take 12 hours to grow and are hardlocked at a return rate of 2.

It doesn't make it go away instantly. You still have to "uproot" it to make it go away. This is a massive gripe of mine, as it is more time wasted, and forces more visits to the rebreather. Maybe it's different on bunaglos, but I doubt it.

i live in sunbite with my bungalo.. i dont have to go underwater, maybe you should look at a different area if you're having so many problems where you are at. I don't have a problem with the system that's in place for corals or anything. If spending .6 seconds to uproot the whirlpool kills your oxygen that much and you spend all this time underwater.. why dont you have the portable breathing apparatus skill or better yet a dahuta's? Sorry for your frustration with the game mechanics being what they are, but i honestly see no reason this needs to be looked into.

The mechanics of aqua farming were made purely to be a time sink and are frankly annoying. I don't have a bungalo, I have aqua farms. You see no reason to look into it because you're not dealing with it. Practically 40% spawn rates on shatigons sandstorms crowding up the aqua farms underwater is a pure annoyance that consistently needs to be dealt with. Spawning them 10 meters up would fix that. I have 4 aqua farms I use on a daily basis.

Then you have the real estate/growth times/return rates of aqua seeds. Mostly bad there too. Land farming is far better tuned with no annoyances. Great return rates on land seeds, things that take up large real estate are things like trees, which typically have high return rates for their drops as well. Aqua farming QOL should be looked at.

Also, my breath rate is fine. I can go up to a minute without needing to get air, because of all the buffs I have. The breath was just one side effect of it, and suggesting spending money just to harvest seeds is an insane suggestion. Again, your perspective on this is twisted because of the conveniences of a bungalo where you don't have to be underwater.

The trade-off is that aquafarming is SUPER low labor cost, high profit per labor. The drawback is that it's time-consuming and tedious. It's in a good place. You can sell a bungalow's worth of pearl for several hundred gold every day for about 300 labor.

I would love to see pearl bundles personally, but all in all, it's a time vs profit model, not labor vs profit.

I also see no reason at all to change this. Also note I handled my guild's bungalow(28x28 of pure seeding pain, there is no difference between aqua farms and bungalows btw) for 2 weeks to get couple thousand pearls and green coral(<--Tailor) and I have enough gathering proficiency to spawn shatigon sandstorms basically 1 every 2 picks, to put it on scale if I press F on each one to get shatigon sand I can go from 0 to 250-300 in one round and still the profit is good enough that I'll do it happily.

TIPS:

1.) For the sandstorm press G, it does NOT(at least I noticed I can make them disappear even with 0 labor) consume labor like a regular uprooting
2.) For aqua farms simply use the Oxygen Tank from your clipper(this is the only diff with a bungalow, you have 1 oxygen tank) or if you have the gold Dahuta's pots.

The trade-off is that aquafarming is SUPER low labor cost, high profit per labor. The drawback is that it's time-consuming and tedious. It's in a good place. You can sell a bungalow's worth of pearl for several hundred gold every day for about 300 labor.

I would love to see pearl bundles personally, but all in all, it's a time vs profit model, not labor vs profit.

The very reasons you listed are due to the annoyances. If it wasn't such a massive time sink and annoyance, the prices would be normal. Why are we putting up with it? Also, the labor isn't all that much different from land gathering. Singles on land still cost the same 1-4 labor per item, for most cases.

I also see no reason at all to change this. Also note I handled my guild's bungalow(28x28 of pure seeding pain, there is no difference between aqua farms and bungalows btw) for 2 weeks to get couple thousand pearls and green coral(<--Tailor) and I have enough gathering proficiency to spawn shatigon sandstorms basically 1 every 2 picks, to put it on scale if I press F on each one to get shatigon sand I can go from 0 to 250-300 in one round and still the profit is good enough that I'll do it happily.

TIPS:

1.) For the sandstorm press G, it does NOT(at least I noticed I can make them disappear even with 0 labor) consume labor like a regular uprooting
2.) For aqua farms simply use the Oxygen Tank from your clipper(this is the only diff with a bungalow, you have 1 oxygen tank) or if you have the gold Dahuta's pots.

First, does no one read? I know it doesn't take labor, it is the annoyance factor of being forced to do it over and over and over.
Second, again, this suggestion is terrible, and not even the crux of my argument. The main issue is being constantly forced to double harvest areas. "Go pay gold to harvest your stuff". "Go put a pack on your back that massively slows your movement speed in water to keep breath". What?

Third, I don't have problems with breath, that was just one of the annoyances dealing with the sandstorms. Simply moving them 10 meters up the Y axis would solve my issues.

The very reasons you listed are due to the annoyances. If it wasn't such a massive time sink and annoyance, the prices would be normal. Why are we putting up with it? Also, the labor isn't all that much different from land gathering. Singles on land still cost the same 1-4 labor per item, for most cases.

The difference between an annoyance and a problem are subtle but big, Im not disagreeing with you that it is factually annoying we are just stating that is not a problem at all.

Why, is not a problem?

1.) Is designed as barrier from the beginning(this mechanic existed in official since alpha) to stop those that wanna labor pot their asses to oblivion and craft everything themselves because is slow and annoying hence is not a problem because in all honestly most crafter prefer to buy those items hands down.

2.) Work nice as a secondary market for those with the patience and willing to put the effort and that should be rewarded enough that you can get enough supply, for those in 1.)

I don't mind the Shatigon's storms at all. That's free gold right? Why complain about a bonus?
The biggest annoyance for me with aquafarming is how precise you have to be to fit a full placement of coral. It's giving me carpal tunnel and eye-strain ... I would commit murder for a "snap-to-grid" function that would automatically align the planting to the edge of the next plant or the boundary of the farm. How awesome would that be? Or maybe a "Replant farm" function that would let you quickly reproduce the last planting with one click?

This is stuff XL would have to develop I'm sure, but if the AR team has any crack coders that sure would be a huge QoL improvement, and a major player draw away from retail.

I would commit murder for a "snap-to-grid" function that would automatically align the planting to the edge of the next plant or the boundary of the farm. How awesome would that be?

I have made similar comments not only about planting, but also with land/farm placing. I think a snap-to-grid is a must and there could be a lot more open land for farms if a snap to grid existed for the edges of the housing zones + the edge of the nearest plot to where you are placing so you get rid of the huge gaps and haphazard garden layout.

But it would for sure be a huge planting improvement to detect the edge of the nearest plant and border of your garden

It’s not a problem if you use Dawnsdrop leggings which are pretty much free for first tier u harvest the sand so fast, near instant harvest. Devs have more important things to worry about imo we can’t be asking for basic game mechanics to change

Aqua Farming is fine as it stands. There is huge profit margins in Aqua Farming and very little labour spent. Due to this nothing will be changed. Thanks.

The biggest annoyance for me with aquafarming is how precise you have to be to fit a full placement of coral. It's giving me carpal tunnel and eye-strain ... I would commit murder for a "snap-to-grid" function that would automatically align the planting to the edge of the next plant or the boundary of the farm. How awesome would that be?

Speaking of which - XLGames just showed off a new snap-to-grid function coming to KR retail soon: https://www.reddit.com/r/archeage/comments/8fjlk3/the_new_farming_system_in_kr/

Talk about a quality of life improvement!

Back