What's new

Fast, low cast time classes?

Sidil Lochley

Okay, so I promise to stop asking class questions after this one.... (maybe :) )

So I've been leveling as an Egnimatist and while it's fun, I'm getting pretty darn tired of the long cast times and "stand in one place" feel of the combat. With ranged combat being my preference, should I reconsider for something like the Arcanist or switch over to a Trickster? Honestly, I prefer archery play-styles but I keep hearing how much it sucks unless you have a crazy gear score. As a semi-casual player, I'm not sure I'll ever get to that point anyways...

What do you all suggest?

Mages in pve u will stand in one place and cast most of the time. Enigmatist in pvp is like all insta-cast, so I dont know what to tell you.
And for archers u already know everything.

up to you.

Mages in pve u will stand in one place and cast most of the time. Enigmatist in pvp is like all insta-cast, so I dont know what to tell you.
And for archers u already know everything.

up to you.

So does the Enig change at higher levels then to get a faster cast time? Thus far, it's pretty much stand/cast with a few teleports.

So does the Enig change at higher levels then to get a faster cast time? Thus far, it's pretty much stand/cast with a few teleports.
you'll want -cast time gear such as obsidian katana and obsidian dagger. some obsidian cloth pieces give it too, as well as the guild cloak, and wave rings i think

So heres a good rotation for an enig, to get that good movement:

CAN BE DONE LV 50 AND UNDER
Overwhelm, (OPTIONAL) shadowsmite (for that trip), vicious implos, freezing earth, comets boon, chain lightning, drop back, fireball spam.

REQUIRES LV 55
Or, cheese combo it, once you hit 55. Overwhelm, shadowsmite, godswhip > chain lightning > godswhip > vicious implosion > gods whip > freezing earth > gods whip > (OPTIONAL) comets boon > godswhip.

Additionally (and most people don't know this) you can actually move on the second and third fireballs, as they're instant cast. Only the first windup fireball requires you to stand still, unless you're under the drop back effect. Also also, if you're quick enough, you can swap targets while moving and still cast those baby fireballs. It takes ROUGHLY 750ms (3/4 a second) of non casting to reset back to requiring another fireball cast time.

Also also, if you're looking for the dank low cast time classes, Spellsinger and Spellsong are your way to go. Basically, if you throw Songcraft into the mix, you can get super low if you stack gear with it. Dual weilding Dagger and Scepter will get you dank cast times as well (obsidian daggers have MagDMG + cast time reduction), as well as get you some lower attack speed, which is actually stupidly helpful for mages. Pair that with something like Hummingbird ditty (which can be buffed to 10% icast time reduc instead of standard 9% for 30 minutes with Fantasia of Sorcery flute, I believe), then you've got an easy buff to get even lower.

Startling Strain will temporarily dump your cast time by 20%. If you hit 60% (super easy to do) then fire that off, you'll have a 2.5??? (check that) second meteor cast, for reference. 40% is the hard cap though, so don't waste too many gem slots if you're comfortable at something like 50%. You'll rarely need to go below that on a permanent basis. 60% is pretty good, 50% is excellent. 40% is machine gun levels of cast time (fireballs go off in 1/2 of a second), but is hard to maintain for very long without something like Mana Fountain, which is a MEH level passive. It decreases your cast time for every third fireball you hit with, but also drops your Pdef. Utterly retarded BTW

Last edited:
So heres a good rotation for an enig, to get that good movement:

CAN BE DONE LV 50 AND UNDER
Overwhelm, (OPTIONAL) shadowsmite (for that trip), vicious implos, freezing earth, comets boon, chain lightning, drop back, fireball spam.

REQUIRES LV 55
Or, cheese combo it, once you hit 55. Overwhelm, shadowsmite, godswhip > chain lightning > godswhip > vicious implosion > gods whip > freezing earth > gods whip > (OPTIONAL) comets boon > godswhip.

Additionally (and most people don't know this) you can actually move on the second and third fireballs, as they're instant cast. Only the first windup fireball requires you to stand still, unless you're under the drop back effect. Also also, if you're quick enough, you can swap targets while moving and still cast those baby fireballs. It takes ROUGHLY 750ms (3/4 a second) of non casting to reset back to requiring another fireball cast time.

Also also, if you're looking for the dank low cast time classes, Spellsinger and Spellsong are your way to go. Basically, if you throw Songcraft into the mix, you can get super low if you stack gear with it. Dual weilding Dagger and Scepter will get you dank cast times as well (obsidian daggers have MagDMG + cast time reduction), as well as get you some lower attack speed, which is actually stupidly helpful for mages. Pair that with something like Hummingbird ditty (which can be buffed to 10% icast time reduc instead of standard 9% for 30 minutes with Fantasia of Sorcery flute, I believe), then you've got an easy buff to get even lower.

Startling Strain will temporarily dump your cast time by 20%. If you hit 60% (super easy to do) then fire that off, you'll have a 2.5??? (check that) second meteor cast, for reference. 40% is the hard cap though, so don't waste too many gem slots if you're comfortable at something like 50%. You'll rarely need to go below that on a permanent basis. 60% is pretty good, 50% is excellent. 40% is machine gun levels of cast time (fireballs go off in 1/2 of a second), but is hard to maintain for very long without something like Mana Fountain, which is a MEH level passive. It decreases your cast time for every third fireball you hit with, but also drops your Pdef. Utterly retarded BTW
fantasia of sorcery increases insulating lens' lvl, ditty has it's own instrument

also, katana+dagger would be even more -cast time than dagger+scepter

fantasia of sorcery increases insulating lens' lvl, ditty has it's own instrument

also, katana+dagger would be even more -cast time than dagger+scepter

True, katana with cast time reduc would work. Plus, that wouldn't be too bad in terms of providing an attack stat boost either. The only issue is, if the time came, you'd be stuck with the katana, as the only ones that are magic damage included are obsidian. The same could be said for the dagger, too, but those aren't generally something people sell. So it's kind of a pick and mix.

There is an instrument that boosts ditty, I just forget what it is :p

Back