What's new

For mages...why not leather armor?

lightsenshi6

I'm gearing up a character as a mage and I got looking at the set bonus for cloth armor, so it got me wondering. Why exactly should a mage use cloth armor rather than leather? It seems that the bonuses for leather are better, whether you're doing pvp or pve. (See also: https://archeage.gamepedia.com/Armor)

No, I'm not trolling, I'm asking an honest question...so thoughts?

So how it is how it is supposed to go Warrior trumps Mage trumps archer trumps Warrior to an extent, player skill and gear score play into this. As a mage you shouldn't be using your weapons to deal damage rather than your skills. I also believe that weapon range does not affect skill range, so at most you get a +3% to eveasion and a 20% redux is trip with leather vs Casting time redux a chance to ignore interruptions, damage increase for magical attacks and a redux in the duration of control effects made on you with cloth. Most mages would take cloth over leather, not to mention most stats in cloth are geared towards mages, leather ranged physical dps and plate cqb dps though leather and plate can be argued either way.

Now if you had a god tier leather set that added stats cloth would normally give you, then by all means wear it, but that's flirting with rngesus.

But what about the defense ratings? Isn't having a good pdef also important for when you're solo farming? That's one of the main reasons that I'm even considering leather to be viable, leather has balanced pdef/mdef stats.

True, however depending on the build its mainly s.t and not crowds. So you should be dropping them rather quickly, though with some well timed aoes you can handle up to 4 if you feel bold. PVP wise normally its an unfair fight to begin with on one side or the other so pdef/mdef isnt really gonna matter imo

I'm gearing up a character as a mage and I got looking at the set bonus for cloth armor, so it got me wondering. Why exactly should a mage use cloth armor rather than leather? It seems that the bonuses for leather are better, whether you're doing pvp or pve. (See also: https://archeage.gamepedia.com/Armor)

With Erenor/Hiram you could pick stats on your armor, but we might not be getting Erenor and it's very unlikely we'll be getting Hiram. For better or worse classes will be railroaded into specific armor types for the foreseeable future.

On a personal note, I would like to see leather options for healers and mages.

To be honest, unless you're building a tank spec in leather/plate armor. I feel as though cloth is close to the best set you can use in the game in combination with a shield, as mages do an insane amount of damage and whether you are using a shield or a magic dagger you take a very minimal loss in damage. The only reason I prefer to play with my dagger is for the attack speed ie. faster global cooldowns.

The only downside is the 2h buff, giving 2 hand user 50% Shield Pen and 50% Shield Pen Rate against you.

Also building leather would be terrible as you have no option of giving yourself any Intelligence, atleast with plate you could go for Ayanad Lake or something.

Just my two cents, currently Im a mage in cloth with 15k Magic Defense and 12.5k Physical Defense buffed

Back