What's new

meta slave here, didnt play 2.5-2.9.. whats the meta mage class for dps/burst dmg?

looking to main mage, but unsure what i class fits what i wana play.. been so long since i played AA... im looking for a class that has fancy rotation and doesnt get repetitive. for example, in WoW theres a rogue class were your able to dish out combos with a different combo to execute your enemy.. you can stun into silence into bleed then finish off with 5 point execute, or u can sleep the enemy.. bleed, go back into stealth.. stun him, silence then back to doing dmg rotation..

basically what im looking for is
- not much gear dependent ( like somewhere between darkrunner and not having to throw 500$ to even be onpar with everyone as a primeval )
- nuker/burst cannon
- able to solo or atleast 1v2

any suggestions are appreciated!

Yeah Daggerspell I would say requires less but only because it uses a Staff.. you can technically use a Staff on Enigmatist as well but a lot of people will generally go Shield/Ceptor and then like Ceptor and Katana for Dual Weld so they get the increased cast times n such but the gear is all the same otherwise and same stats n such too.

Yeah Daggerspell I would say requires less but only because it uses a Staff.. you can technically use a Staff on Enigmatist as well but a lot of people will generally go Shield/Ceptor and then like Ceptor and Katana for Dual Weld so they get the increased cast times n such but the gear is all the same otherwise and same stats n such too.
does that mean its gna be high gear requirement like primeva if i do decide to go low cast time with shield/ceptor/katana? or still the same gear dependent required range, as the next guy who stays staff user for enigmatist?

does that mean its gna be high gear requirement like primeva if i do decide to go low cast time with shield/ceptor/katana? or still the same gear dependent required range, as the next guy who stays staff user for enigmatist?
Daggerspell isn't easier to gear because it uses a staff. I'm not sure where Dimmizer is getting that. Daggerspell can easily use scepter/shield and has a massive amount of crowd control spells which allow it to chain cc someone to death requiring very little dps. The same is not true for Enigmatist or Spellsinger which rely heavily on burst DPS and mobility.

Just go Daggerspell :) lol

End game Enigmatist will require dual weld to get all you can out of it or you could just stay with Staff. I used to play Enigmatist with Staff and I did just fine. It's not till you start hitting like 6-7k gear score n such that you need to really think about switching from Staff to Dual Weld.

To answer your question yes Enigmatist "can" be high gear requirement but it's not anywhere near as bad as Primeval. Primeval is pretty much FORCED to be high gear requirement because Bow's don't scale very well at all in terms of damage. You HAVE to HAVE a t5 or t6 bow and it has to be AT LEAST Epic.

Enigmatist you can get away with a t5 Divine Obsidian Staff and be fine. I was pulling about 800 magic attack and almost 1000 with buffs which isn't really bad with T4 or T5 Celestial Obsidan cant remember what I had was years ago.

Daggerspell isn't easier to gear because it uses a staff. I'm not sure where Dimmizer is getting that. Daggerspell can easily use scepter/shield and has a massive amount of crowd control spells which allow it to chain cc someone to death requiring very little dps. The same is not true for Enigmatist or Spellsinger which rely heavily on burst DPS and mobility.

All of my experience comes from watching pretty much ALL of the old Kooncoon videos when he played Enigmatist and also conversations I've had with him directly via his Stream and Facebook as we're friends. Like it or not Kooncoon was one of thee best Enigmatists in Korea and they do know the game very well.

I say Daggerspell is easier to gear because it uses a Staff. Having a staff you only need to worry about the 1 weapon which is cheaper because you just focus everything into getting a good decent staff.

Dual Welding though you have to get multiple weapons and regrade both weapons hoping they don't break of course etc.. and they use the same cloth set. Everything really is the same just one uses Staves and the other one uses dual weld or well can.. but either one can do the other really. It's all play style based and what you're better with and if you have the gold to dump or not and feel like dealing with a lot of regrades.

Last edited:
i would go to play daggerspell too dude. On this patch it is still usefull. And you can switch to spellsinger if you want to go gank ore something / play in groups. But daggerspell is awesome to play solo and pvp 1vs1. Easy to gear because you got tonns of cc and have many changces to make dmg without get hittet. But at least Daggerspell is easy to play and hard to master. Like the most clases. But your focus have to be on your staff. You are mage. If you get hittet once you are dead normaly. So idc my armour til i got a Staff i liked^^

Daggerspell took a hit in 2.9 since meteor throws you in a random direction, but it's still one of the best 1v1/small scale mages in 2.9.
Also, most daggerspells since 2.5 use shield/scepter, but some switch to staff for their offensive combos. If you just want to make melee cry, play defiler and be useless in ow.

To answer your question yes Enigmatist "can" be high gear requirement but it's not anywhere near as bad as Primeval. Primeval is pretty much FORCED to be high gear requirement because Bow's don't scale very well at all in terms of damage. You HAVE to HAVE a t5 or t6 bow and it has to be AT LEAST Epic..

archery is still very good in early game since people do not have max toughness/resilience.

I'm look at Daggerspell also as my 1v1 but still not 100%, i want a class i can focus on building up gear wise and using that same gear in larger scale pvp as a different build like Revenant maybe, can't remember the meta for GvG from 2.9 lol Maybe i'll try Enigmatist out too

thats perfect. ty, last question.. which has less need of high cost gear?

Daggerspell is a super cheesey and easy class (not much dmg/gear needed cause their combo kills them mostly with fall dmg), while Enigmatist you don't need that much gear either but I would say has a higher skill gap and need good ping. (Best combo relies on animation cancelling) That being said you would have to be good at animation canceling to make up for the lack of gear.

Daggerspell's mostly use Scepter/Shield, while Enigmatist usually would use a dagger as an offhand. Survivability wise, Daggerspell would be your better option if you aren't familiar with Enigmatist

Last edited:
Daggerspell is a super cheesey and easy class (not much dmg/gear needed cause their combo kills them mostly with fall dmg), while Enigmatist you don't need that much gear either but I would say has a higher skill gap and need good ping. (Best combo relies on animation cancelling) That being said you would have to be good at animation canceling to make up for the lack of gear.

Daggerspell's mostly use Scepter/Shield, while Enigmatist usually would use a dagger as an offhand. Survivability wise, Daggerspell would be your better option if you aren't familiar with Enigmatist

not looking for an easy route, ofc there would be learning curve.. also if u had to compare, is enigmatist like firemage in WoW? fast paced gameplay while daggerspell is like frost ?

not looking for an easy route, ofc there would be learning curve.. also if u had to compare, is enigmatist like firemage in WoW? fast paced gameplay while daggerspell is like frost ?

(Enigmatist)
(Daggerspell)

You can also just YouTube different Enigmatist and Daggerspell PVP and just pay attention to how the player is using the character and their skills or combos. It will teach you a lot and you'll learn. The best way to learn is watch others or do it yourself and learn.

If you haven't played either of the classes there still a learning curve to each one.

Enigmatist is a mobility class where you pretty much combo, if you havent killed them, run away and wait for cooldowns with the occasional fire balls, and repeat, as you are pretty squishy.

Where Daggerspell you have insane amount of cc and have a shield so you're tanky where usually you kill the person before they can even use a skill/touch their keyboard :p

1v1 kinda terms, I wouldnt play either of them in rvr/gvg

Back