What's new

Nerf Darkrunners before everyone is a darkrunner

Should darkruuners (specifically backstab and battlerage skills) be nerfed ?

• Total voters
Entire skillsets don't need to be nerfed to balance DRs, just synergies between skills. Darkrunners work so well because they combine three skillsets that all combo ludicrously well into eachother and give them massive damage, massive crit rate, massive mobility and CC capabilities. All of that's fine on its own but DRs end up being so powerful because they have no real tradeoffs.

Compare them to a damage-nuke mage build. Certain spells can hit like a damn truck in the right circumstances, but they almost always require a lot of time, a stationary/close range target, and mean investing a lot of points into power over defense or mobility, so you can one-combo somebody if you get them with the right skills, but unless everything goes right? You're screwed.

For balance, a class needs to be either heavily focused on one thing (tanking/damage/healing/mobility) and weak on all other points, or be versatile in multiple areas without being exceptional in any.

Right now, Darkrunners are great at damage and mobility, and don't really have any downsides - that's all they need to be balanced, some halfway decent methods of being countered.

DR are good at 1x1 and small scale pvp, they are also good when they ambush the team and kill them most valuable unit (healers)

But in large scale pvp, they sucks really badly. They are one shot by 25 meters mages Arc lightning or meteor. I was DR (I still have my set and weapon) but switched to mage because:

1- 1x1 in this game doesn't matter, it just broken.
2- I don't do 1x1 arenas because it is broken.
3- Large scale pvp in Halcyona sucks when you are a melee class with low gs and just a good melee weapon.
4- This game is just like WoW where 1x1 sucks because classes are unbalanced af. This is a game of raid pvp, and not casual duels and 1x1 arenas.

What truly needs to be nerfed is the Longspear/shortspear proc for defense pen.

Here's the true issue:

First, when combined with puncture (which procs often), darkrunners can nullify 12k physical defense with ease. Unless you're in high end plate or leather, that is more than most people have period.

Then, when you stack things like the 2h buff for 50% shield pen, they go even higher than that.

Combined with other things like normal defense pen from weapons and accessories, it goes even higher.

All told, darkrunners can nullify around 15-20k physical defense without much problem. Bye bye tanks.

Combined with bullshit like attack and retaliate, and the absolutely insane damage of instant skills like BEL and Precision strike, and the backstab damage of things like Shadow Smite, you end up with a situation where all a darkrunner really needs to do is trip, and suddenly someone is getting face rolled. Most of the time, darkrunners don't even need to trip, they just need the passive to proc, and suddenly their front facing precision strike on a target that isn't bleeding, has a shield and 9k pdef hits for 11k (I've had it happen to me more than once).

It isn't just Darkrunners though. Combined with the above passives, most classes that leverage battlerage have these advantages. Dervish, Argent and Abolisher are some classes that come to mind. Tanky AND powerful. Kind of bullshit.

In addition, it should be noted that because CryEngine is shittastic crap, you have another all together fucked situation, where melee has the advantage of lag. In essence, when dealing with a melee, on your screen, you can be tripped nearly instantly, due to the latency involved with recalculation of player movement, and skills that are cast. It is extremely common to be instantly tripped after being hit with Overwhelm > Shadowsmite, or even more commonly, BEL and Triple slash. On your screen, you're flat on your back or face in an instant. And lets not pretend that macro-runners aren't a thing. Nearly every darkrunner is an entitled little shit stain that picks the class because it is the cheesiest of cheese, and they scream murder when they lose.

And lets not even mention how busted up the arena is. I feel like it was coded on P2P networking, with how laggy it is. You can straight up nail people with AOEs and attacks, and they can just outright ignore them or teleport away a full 2 seconds later, entirely unharmed. Some real shit there.

On the other hand, mages have the staff proc that can ignore 10k mag def, and combined with weapons and accessories, they might be able to hit 12-14k mag def pen, if they're lucky.

Leather has zero issues reaching this kind of defensive level, and forget about killing cloth clad healers at that rate. They additionally have high cast times and combination setups that they must contend with. While all melee users need to do is stack a little bit of attack speed, mages have to stack attack speed AND cast time reduction in order to be fully dangerous. Even when mages do this, they STILL require planning and skillful deployment of skills, unless they're carrying around high end epics or legendary weapons. Combine the above the fact that mages have no additional defensive penetration OR skill resets from their skill trees, and you've created a highly unbalanced situation.

Back