What's new

Possible change to sport fishing

sociopathix

No poll; I think it needs discussion only at this time.

I would like to propose a possible change to fishing that might bring it more in line with the other professions, making it difficult to bot (or at least the same difficulty as anything else), and make it better for everyone.

Currently, fish packs turn in for gold at the fishing stand. I would propose to leave that in as an option, for those who have a system where they like turning the fish in for gold under the old system. I also propose to leave the trophy system the same way so that people can get house decorations if they want.

The big change to the system would be allowing players to turn in fish at the resource traders, as you would a normal trade pack. So, you could turn them in for gold or trophy them at a fish stand, or you could turn them in for gilda at a gilda trader, or you could turn them in for charcoal or dragon essence at resource traders.

Keep it so fish cannot be stored in a merchant trade slots as it is now; people who want to fish and make big money doing so must acquire a fishing boat, as always.

The rates would have to be fair considering you could fish near your own safe waters and turn them in, saving you the trip across water into a hostile port. However, the fact that you have to sit out on the water for long periods of time, usually without someone to watch radar/watch for threats, balances this out.

For smalls, about 15 charcoal would be good. This is about what you get from Solzreed/Tigerspine basic packs.

For mediums, about 20 charcoal would be good. You're getting the same as a Windscour/Gweonid Forest basic pack.

For larges, about 25 charcoal would be good. It's equivalent to a Hellswamp/Hasla fertilizer roughly.

And for very rare gargs, 40 charcoal would be good. In line with a Karkasse/Rokhala fertilizer roughly.

As for gilda stars and dragon essence, a 2 (small), 3 (medium), 4 (large), 5 (garg) would probably work.

(These values could be tweaked, but I don't think they should go lower.)

And if players turn it in for gilda stars or resources, they have to wait the 22 hours to get their reward like any other trade pack resource.

Under this system, you'd see an average of around 100-150 charcoal gained per fishing boat.

I would also recommend not having a percentage (130%-70%) rate which alters how much you get per fish since fishing takes quite a while longer to do than trade packs and the volume of fish being turned in will always be much lower than merchant ships running packs at any given time. This would be the up-side to fishing, that it's not impacted by volume. (You can't store fish on property anymore anyway, so it's not like someone could build up huge numbers at once, and you can't load these into a merchant ship anyway.)

A change like this wouldn't damage any market because the impact from fishing would be tiny compared to the volume that merchant ships run each day. It would take work but it wouldn't be impossible; all of these systems are already in place in the existing mechanics.

The benefit for this change is two-fold: reduce gold coming "from thin air" from fishing cranes and instead tie sport fishing into the regular economy like most other trades already are. It also ties the value of fish into things with dynamic prices: gilda and stabilizers. This means the value of fishing can adjust to the economy as things change, rather than trying to balance it with a set gold value. You can leave the current gold values alone to establish a floor, and give the option to get stabilizers or gilda, which usually are worth more than fish but are based on economic conditions.

This would enable fish packs and fishermen to take advantage of all of the traders in the same way that regular traders can. It would also generate more pvp because more people would be willing to fish if there was a tangible benefit. But it's not overpowered and does not surpass other money making methods in the game. It also gives the pirate faction a method of making better money since the only things they can do for making money is to steal (not always an option) or fish.

NOTE: I would say that freshwater fish caught from lakes inside safe zones should only turn in for gold at the fish stand like they always did before. A change like this should only apply to fish caught in pvp waters that carry the risks of getting killed/robbed on the sea. It would be an exploit to let fish packs from freshwater spawns turn in for gilda or charcoal because it would be 100% safe.

Regular bait fishing (auto/afk fishing) remains unchanged.

A change in Sport fishing is needed at the moment; i was thinking a 2x-2.5x value increase of fish across the board, but this also is a viable solution. right now your lucky to get a haul worth more than 60-80g after nearly an hour of your time and risking being pirated. It should be worth 200-250g or 150-200 charcoal equivalent for a full fishing boat. Especially since the in-game economy is hyper-inflated, there needs to be a viable way for players to make gold in game and not grow old while trying to gear their charactor; Otherwise why not just farm coin purses til 230k larceny or run crafted trade packs.. it would be less time and more rewarding for that endeavor than fishing. Sport Fishing needs to be buffed in some way in order to compete with other methods of farming.

A change in Sport fishing is needed at the moment; i was thinking a 2x-2.5x value increase of fish across the board, but this also is a viable solution. right now your lucky to get a haul worth more than 60-80g after nearly an hour of your time and risking being pirated. It should be worth 200-250g or 150-200 charcoal equivalent for a full fishing boat. Especially since the in-game economy is hyper-inflated, there needs to be a viable way for players to make gold in game and not grow old while trying to gear their charactor; Otherwise why not just farm coin purses til 230k larceny or run crafted trade packs.. it would be less time and more rewarding for that endeavor than fishing. Sport Fishing needs to be buffed in some way in order to compete with other methods of farming.

The reason I suggest charcoal is because it will change in price as the economy changes, so we won't be back here in 6 months saying it needs to be buffed again. I initially supported the idea of increasing the gold values, but I think this new approach would be much stronger and actually help in reducing the inflation we are seeing lately.

Less gold out of thin air helps inflation. Since charcoal is a resource that is only sold to players, the money isn't magically created by the system.

+1
and i think the sunken ships hunting has the same problém , its a funny activity but sadly not worthy at all , you spend alot of time looking for rowboats then for bubles and then you spend 60labour to discover each pack , and then to move it all accross the sea with the risk of being pirated and lose it ... and all this for 10g per pack ... well these activities should be adjusted i think
sry if i made english mistakes ( not my main language )

+1
and i think the sunken ships hunting has the same problém , its a funny activity but sadly not worthy at all , you spend alot of time looking for rowboats then for bubles and then you spend 60labour to discover each pack , and then to move it all accross the sea with the risk of being pirated and lose it ... and all this for 10g per pack ... well these activities should be adjusted i think
sry if i made english mistakes ( not my main language )

While we're at it, they should increase the turn in for Perdita Torso packs. Considering their rarity, the fact they turn in for 10x less then a delphinad fine pottery pack (which I found 2 of in 2 hours this week) is disgraceful. Most ppl call haulers on the ocean floor just to get rid of the pack so they can continue hunting. Its not even worth turning in as it is now.

While we're at it, they should increase the turn in for Perdita Torso packs. Considering their rarity, the fact they turn in for 10x less then a delphinad fine pottery pack (which I found 2 of in 2 hours this week) is disgraceful. Most ppl call haulers on the ocean floor just to get rid of the pack so they can continue hunting. Its not even worth turning in as it is now.

This is simply because of bots that could be made to farm these sunken treasures nonstop and it is fairly hard to combat it since nobody really sees them to report them.

I agree wholeheartedly. I love sport fishing but currently I will ONLY sport fish on event days. The rest of the days its just a very inefficient way of spending your labor and time.

This is simply because of bots that could be made to farm these sunken treasures nonstop and it is fairly hard to combat it since nobody really sees them to report them.
Bots could already farm sunken treasure non stop and make decent money, but its easier to program them to kill mobs for coin purses, no need to worry about dahuta's and special programming for if they find a pack versus vaultstones or brinstones. Reality is, they could make bank off of delphinad fine pottery (which is not rare at all i found 2 back to back in one day.. easy 200 gold) and ship regrades... but they don't. So why not increase the Perdita torso's... even to 100 like the delphinad pottery or maybe a little more considering they are much more rare and make them worth draggin to land. I might find one perdita every month, I might see 2 found by other players in a day via the red announcement text.... Bots are not going to make bank looking for torso's.

Last edited:
Bots could already farm sunken treasure non stop and make decent money, but its easier to program them to kill mobs for coin purses, no need to worry about dahuta's and special programming for if they find a pack versus vaultstones or brinstones. Reality is, they could make bank off of delphinad fine pottery (which is not rare at all i found 2 back to back in one day.. easy 200 gold) and ship regrades... but they don't. So why not increase the Perdita torso's... even to 100 like the delphinad pottery or maybe a little more considering they are much more rare and make them worth draggin to land. I might find one perdita every month, I might see 2 found by other players in a day via the red announcement text.... Bots are not going to make bank looking for torso's.
I'm sorry this has been brought up time and time again but at this time the team can not adjust the turn in value of the Perdita's.

I'm sorry this has been brought up time and time again but at this time the team can not adjust the turn in value of the Perdita's.

Your team adjusted it to 10g at server launch, why are they unable to adjust it again? Is it a matter of cant or wont? Sorry just wanting clarity.

Your team adjusted it to 10g at server launch, why are they unable to adjust it again? Is it a matter of cant or wont? Sorry just wanting clarity.

Perdita value was changes to 10g due to the specific reason and will not be returned to the previous value.

Staff is still looking into fishing and may add more spawn points but this has yet to be confirmed.

Back