What's new

PvP Healer Classes Question

yourmomsmom

First of all, hello.

I only PvP and heal, so my question is: Are Heiro and/or Templar viable/relevant in 2.9? I enjoyed both at different times in the game, hence the question. I last seriously played in 2.0 and mained Templar (I love defensive healers), but when I came back for a tiny bit on 3.0 freshstart everyone said no Templar, try Heiro if you will not play Cleric, which I also liked for the very short time I played it. Just curious about other people's opinions because it has been a while!

Thanks in advance!

First of all, hello.

I only PvP and heal, so my question is: Are Heiro and/or Templar viable/relevant in 2.9? I enjoyed both at different times in the game, hence the question. I last seriously played in 2.0 and mained Templar (I love defensive healers), but when I came back for a tiny bit on 3.0 freshstart everyone said no Templar, try Heiro if you will not play Cleric, which I also liked for the very short time I played it. Just curious about other people's opinions because it has been a while!

Thanks in advance!

I think they're both okay classes, both of them I would only really play in small scale PvP though, if you like the defensive skill tree and playing a defensive healer you could also try Caretaker in larger scale so you can still buff you raid with songs.

Choosing a healer I feel just comes down to play style, all good for something. :D

Yea I have played most other healers at some point, because that's how this game is - dependent on situation and what I need I at that moment. I just wondered how my 2 favorite specs are in terms of that patch, in case something major changed that I should note. Thanks!

I think cleric with zeal and a great club is the only viable option until you can get a decent club/shield setup.

Even in large scale those 2 classes can play a very tactile role. So, depends on what you want to make out of them.

I think cleric with zeal and a great club is the only viable option until you can get a decent club/shield setup.

Ahh, I will see I suppose. My friend gave me a bajillion logs to craft up for exp, and I leveled up some of the other talent trees for more choices if necessary. Thank you!

Even in large scale those 2 classes can play a very tactile role. So, depends on what you want to make out of them.

Yep, I guess that is what I was trying to confirm to myself, because my memory is legit asshole. Just in case there was something I did not remember that changed or something major that had changed during the patches I did not play. Eventually it will all come back to me or I will notice it once I start PvPing again. Aside from enjoying healing, I loved Templar for bombing into groups or ships packed with enemies. While Heiro I did not experience much, I know that I enjoy shutting people down at key moments with CC - which they have a good amount of. Thank you!

since nobody can insta get mistsong weapons clerics will be a lot more viable at launch than 3.0 FS

That makes sense, and I did not think about that. I really only ever played cleric for PvE or to farm/buffbot people back in 2.0 (bleh). Thanks!

For squad pvp i played Soothsayer because of nice movement and instant heals!
For Raid pvp i choose cleric.(In the endgame i prefer cleric with good gear)
For Tanky build and midclass heals (Solo heals) choose Templar // You can play Templar as full tank too.

Back when I played AA in the past, I went with the Oracle simply because I loved archery and still wanted to help my group. The problem was though that the heals were never enough to be a primary healer for small dungeon groups and the other utilities made me an easy target in PvP. I probably just sucked at the class but from my limited perspective, it was the best of ideas.

I prefer Soothsayer in mass pvp - Sealth + Insta Res is a beautiful thing along with heals / drop back / teleport / free runner - you're mobility as a healer is increased 10 fold in this spec.

As for solo just killing and messing around i choose Argent. You have damage / meditate / heals / some mobility and a crap fk ton of CC. While i will say that Argent is pretty difficult to adjust to, right now in 2.9 they aren't really the most optimal. In 3.5 with ancestral levels and instant heal skewer in full leather with obsidian spear + heal power scepter (in offhand) they wreck everything.

For casual pve in a raid i usually see what's needed from me, if it's a dungeon where you could potentially expect quite a bit of deaths be it either noobs, pugs or just teaching people what to do, i would choose Soothsayer if there's no other healers in the raid. That way you can stealth + insta rez and get back to healing with the quickness. If there are more than 1 healer and everything appears to be covered i would choose Cleric for the songs and just spam all 4 songs (if possible) and keep them up making sure you take the extra distance passive in song craft.

That's my opinion though, while Templar is good for defensive abilities you limit your ability to be mobile which is key for any healer's survival. Good rule of thumb i like to keep is having at least 2 oh shit get out of the way buttons. Invincability doesn't count since you have to remain stationary to channel.

I play Sooth, Argent, Cleric and my favorite has to be Argent... Battlerage+Auramancy is the best anti CC combination and there is a lot you can do with the two, however Argent doesnt favor primary healing like a sooth or cleric would... same healing power as sooth but when you spec Battlerage. You. Just. Have. To. KILL. SOMEONE!!!!!!

oh and Shrug and Bondbreaker are broken in 2.9, so lets not forget that. Argent also provides mobility that Sooth cannot, some of Sooths mobility requires a target, Battlerage can jump anywhere in the push of a button.

I play Sooth, Argent, Cleric and my favorite has to be Argent... Battlerage+Auramancy is the best anti CC combination and there is a lot you can do with the two, however Argent doesnt favor primary healing like a sooth or cleric would... same healing power as sooth but when you spec Battlerage. You. Just. Have. To. KILL. SOMEONE!!!!!!

oh and Shrug and Bondbreaker are broken in 2.9, so lets not forget that. Argent also provides mobility that Sooth cannot, some of Sooths mobility requires a target, Battlerage can jump anywhere in the push of a button.

I beg to differ on the Argent having better mobility than the Soothsayer... I feel that it's quite the opposite. Please give me a link to your skill setup and i'll give you a link to both of mine.

Soothsayer set up
http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/489541

Argent set up
http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/489542

With the Soothsayer i have teleports for days with free runner / drop back / stealth - there's really no better mobility that i see with it. Argent on the other hand has a whole different line of mobility, while yes i could use BEL to get away or get in and teleport as well there's really no way to get away fast or get in fast to knock someone off a glider or mount vs Soothsayer. I've teleported 4 times in a row across the screen to knock someone out of the air with mirrored light followed by stalkers mark + throwing dagger drop back stealth and just watched my group demolish him. Can't really say i could do that with a Argent, but i would love to see how you set up your class, may give me some ideas how to better my own =D

I didnt say anything about more or better mobility, it provides a different kind of mobility through the use of Behind Enemy Lines. Backdrop replicates this a bit but with less range and slower.

But anyway this is currently what I normally have for my Sooth (IDK what I will end on, been switching things around still... im forsaken by RNG so I dont do the Auramancy passive)

http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/489558

Argent I do two builds on. 1 which is focussed on healing with BR more for CC than the damage. Primarily for grinding.

And one built on damage with some self healing. Primarily for fake DR.

But I have crap gear cuz havent spent anything on it so I dont usually go full DPS build. Usually a healing heavy+CC build since damage is crap and so is defense, so best I can do in a fight is provide healz and stuns and snares.

ahh i see, you play your sooth more of a dmg dealing, where i play the same class as a means of debuffing a target to make dps work more efficient.

That's what i love about Archeage in general, yeah some of us play the same class but our takes on the class is completely different. I love it, thank you for sharing your Soothsayer build with me.

I even play Cleric as a frontliner standing right next to SK's when they push into a bunch of enemies lol... I dont like to sit back and wait for them to return home after doing their damage :p

Sooth I might start speccing less into damage but I come from FFXIV and theres a saying for healers.

Always.
Be.
Casting.

And Archeage doesnt let us do that so I need a filler :p Rapid Strikes and Triple Slash must be in my build or I go crazy lol.

That's fair, but the mana you use to hit your rapid strikes / triple slash is taking mana way from a heal that could potentially save a life and forcing you to use pots ontop of what you would normally which isn't very cost effective from my stand point. As a soothsayer i'm always debuffing / healing / right in the fray of what ever is going on. If i get targeted i backdrop quick and continue healing. While i do play cleric as well, i find that it's not as effective in mass pvp as the soothsayer is. Only one cleric is really needed in mass pvp maybe 2 at max for the songs to hit everyone. I also hear that Hierophant (sp?) class is a really good class to spec for healing as well, though i've never tried it. Once i found soothsayer i was hooked on it. I can heal / debuff / get out / get in when ever it's needed and the debuff skills use very little mana which saves on pot usage hehe.

Again that's why i love this game we can all play what we want how we want and it's almost always different than another person playing the same class. lol

I couldnt get into Hiero... it just didnt click for me... tho even with my crap gear I can reach insane amounts of magic def in that build but that doesnt matter when I have Conversion and Shrug to completely negate magic anyway.

I prefer to play where I dont need to baby sit my party. I trust my party to survive without 100% active healing from me, so I prefer to just DPS until healing is required, then I can Resurgence>Conversion>Antithesis>Fervent as needed to burst heal (maybe mend too since I run the auroria piece with -1 second cast on it so its a really strong heal for me). Soon as my target is healthy enough to continue the fight I go back to fighting too.

Sometimes dealing damage is the best form of healing.

I love the builds the both of you have put out because i love to play Argent as a DPS for farming/Grinding and sooth for mass pvp. But what i love to do is use full healer cloth and my 2H greatclub instead of club and shield. Saves me time instead of switching armor a lot of the time.

http://archeagedatabase.net/us/calc/489620 This is an example of the argent build i currently use for farming/grinding.

I play in full healer cloth as well... running the Auroria Dulcet Vitalism Shirt (-1s cast time on Mend), Obsidian pants, and 5 piece serp atm... well soon to be 5 piece... missing 2 atm really :\ It results in a lot of missing :( but in PvE thats ok.

Back