What's new

Serious Question about the life expectancy of this game...

Aumdaydar

Is there any way that trion could potentially shut this down? It seems to good to be true, honestly. The rates / levels / honor etc.. it's all well and good but how can i support you guys and know my investment is somewhat secure from copy write laws and you guys wont get sued and i lose all my money i've invested in you and the game?

1. then dont invest money if you're afraid.

2. Blizzard can't even shut down private WoW servers. Warmane's been running for ages, so if blizzard can't do it, I don't expect trion to be able too either.

Fair enough, i've only ever played a few private server's so i don't really understand how they work =) thanks for the enlightenment.

It really depends on the resources they have.

There's a lot of private servers for a lot of games. Nostalarious was the exception. That was a private server that got TOO popular. Had like 40,000 people with accounts on it, Blizzard had to take measures to shut it down, but even then there were others.

Archeage is a very niche playerbase. Not vast like WoW ^^

These guys seem to know what they're doing, the RU server has been up and running for 8 months. 8 months was about the lifespan of the Morpheus server in its prime. The 3.0 fresh starts had long since run their course before they were even 8 months old.

A solid 6 months would be fine. More than that, with good player retention? Even better.

Exactly. 3.0 FS rapidly declined when the Player Nations were formed and content became unavailable to the masses. then 3.5 hit after 6 months and it pretty much ended. Even the player nations disbanded.

This is a really good question and something that worries me too.

If Trion doesn't shut the server down, then the life of the game (for me) depends on which updates the team decides to implement. If they stop at 3.0, I'll continue to play. Although the 3.0 update did a lot of harm to the game, it was still playable.

But if they decide to update to 3.5, then sadly, my time in ArcheRage will come to an end (just as it did in the official game). Because 3.5 is not playable (at least, not for me)!

As for spending real life money, I've decided to look at it as a subscription. I'm on a very tight budget, so I'll probably spend $5 a month. I consider that good value to play a game I love. But I'm going to wait a bit before I start spending, just to see if the server is going to stick around :p.

But I'm realistic, I don't see the game lasting forever. I think the others are right, 6 to 8 months seems to be the life span of a server. But if they implement too much P2W, then that life span will be even less.

But as I said, for me, it all depends on which patches we get.

This is a really good question and something that worries me too.

If Trion doesn't shut the server down, then the life of the game (for me) depends on which updates the team decides to implement. If they stop at 3.0, I'll continue to play. Although the 3.0 update did a lot of harm to the game, it was still playable.

But if they decide to update to 3.5, then sadly, my time in ArcheRage will come to an end (just as it did in the official game). Because 3.5 is not playable (at least, not for me)!

As for spending real life money, I've decided to look at it as a subscription. I'm on a very tight budget, so I'll probably spend $5 a month. I consider that good value to play a game I love. But I'm going to wait a bit before I start spending, just to see if the server is going to stick around :p.

But I'm realistic, I don't see the game lasting forever. I think the others are right, 6 to 8 months seems to be the life span of a server. But if they implement too much P2W, then that life span will be even less.

But as I said, for me, it all depends on which patches we get.

P2W is less of a factor than people think for this kind of server... you're getting x4 labor regen and plant growth time is x2. Your ability to make money SHOULD be endless. So while P2W WILL get you ahead first, the way the servers designed ANYONE has the means to catch up in a reasonable manner. Unlike live server, there was no catching the swipers.

P2W is less of a factor than people think for this kind of server... you're getting x4 labor regen and plant growth time is x2. Your ability to make money SHOULD be endless. So while P2W WILL get you ahead first, the way the servers designed ANYONE has the means to catch up in a reasonable manner. Unlike live server, there was no catching the swipers.

I'm not convinced about the money making thing, but personally I don't know how it played out in RU. I anticipate a problem with massive inflation. Anything rare of real value will cost an insane amount of gold and anything you can grow won't be worth jack because it's being mass produced twice as fast.

The hosts of this private server may need to introduce a new gold sink. Put certain items in the General Merchant for a ton of gold - Regrade Charms, Lucky Sunpoints, RNG box Costumes, ect. Doesn't even need to be very in-depth or varied, just put a few staples in there.

It really depends on the resources they have.

There's a lot of private servers for a lot of games. Nostalarious was the exception. That was a private server that got TOO popular. Had like 40,000 people with accounts on it, Blizzard had to take measures to shut it down, but even then there were others.

Archeage is a very niche playerbase. Not vast like WoW ^^
40,000? It was actually more than a million registered accounts with peak concurrent players pushing 15k.

Regardless of how we want to look at it, I'm fairly certain they'll continue to push updates to the game (with the changes they'd prefer to be made first).

But as it's been mentioned OP, the server will always be subject to a C&D by XL Games. Those investing money know that they'll be at a loss if it was to go down for that reason.

Look at the russian version of ArcheRage. It has been up and running for 8+ months.

I think this one will do just as fine :)

different publisher in RU than NA though - I see trion getting a little more than butthurt at the fact someone's doing it better than they are and cutting into their profits. I never played RU, so idk how that games doing honestly. As far as the whole "wow" thing goes, it doesn't seem to affect how WoW is doing in the way this server is going to impact the way NA play's Archeage from now on. Trion stands to lose most if not all of it's playerbase once people realize this exists.

Hence, my initial post concern.

Server hosted in Canada if I am not mistaken, DMCA is taken seriously here unlike a decade ago. I don't see it lasting very long unfortunately.

Back