What's new

Suggestion to fix the land problem that drives away so many new players

Akasha

New players are constantly complaining that there is no land for them to get. And its true, that while they could just buy some from people, it doesn't change the fact that the land situation here is made awful by the double labor situation. Now we all like our double labor for things like farming, crafting etc. However I am not entirely sure the double labor was well thought out when it comes to housing situations. I myself have over 25 properties. I never have to buy tax certs. Ever. Because with the labor stipend and the 2x labor i am constantly burning 5k for tax certs before I go to work or something like that. And while is is VERY convenient for those of us in a good spot with land, its terrible for new players trying to get started.

New Players are essential to keep this server going as more people leave than join per week, so It is very important to retain a LARGE percentage of the new people trying it out.

My suggestion, and don't forget this is coming from someone with 3 Tree houses, 1 upgraded Thatched, 2 Bungalows, 3 Gazebos, 2 Silos, 8 aqua farms and 10 16x16s..... so this would negatively affect me for sure, but its the right thing to do. My suggestion, is to eliminate the ability to create tax certs for labor and no materials.
While I think eliminating them all together as craftable is going too far , making tax certs credit only would be awful, but add materials that cost money like lumber/iron/stone etc to be required per tax cert craft. This would help drive the economy, force players to make decisions about which properties were really worth it. *For example at least 3 of my plots have neighboring plots that have not been used in 2 months yet still have taxes paid because they players can simply burn that labor*

This will free up some much needed land for newer players , which will help them get started easier, and more likely to retain them, while for us established players, the extra cost will not be too much to bear unless you have an absurd amount of properties (see above) , which in that case, you probably should let some go.

Think about doing this, and doing it soon, as its pretty important we make this server new player friendly pretty quickly as we can all see within our own guilds, within our cities etc the population is dropping. Lets help new players get established.

I'm not playing anymore and still have : 2x 28x28 tree houses, 3x 24x24 low taxes gazebos, 4x aquafarms. I'll continue to pay taxes untill there is a fair rework of tax system.
Why ? I don't want to see goldsellers/landgrabbers profiting of my lands. Same for my friends who have even more lands. We ( 3 friends ) probably still own 1/4 of Vilanelle coast lands while not being active players.
Instead, We joined a guild that welcome newcomers and we let them use our lands.

Free patron is a cool thing, not limiting the amount of properties a player can own isn't. There should be a limit like 1 or 2 land properties (depending of the size) + 1 or 2 aquafarms + 2x 8x8 (random numbers ). I fthink many players are waiting for 3.0 to get their lands and start to play. For sure, experienced players will not wait for this, farm some golds and acquiere lands and start to play, but it's still a major problem for players that are new with the game. Gonna quote Akasha on this:

New Players are essential to keep this server going

They are probably the most important thing in this game.

Last edited:
I have a much easier and probably better fix to this whole problem. Just quadruple the cost of the labor for certs. This will make it on par with way the game was designed without changing anything for all other aspects of the game. As a new player I am totally finding it impossible to find land and if people are doing what your saying then this is the best fix that I can think of. It will greatly limit how much land someone can keep.

Maybe we can find a middle ground and double the tax rate per property as well as make it cost materials as well. 10 lumber and stone brick per tax cert would help make that market more profitable as well as maybe even it out with how iron ingots are right now. That would mean to burn 5k labor on tax certs it would cost you 2.5 stacks of lumber and stone brick. If you take that and add it up between ALL the people who own land, it'll definitely make a big impact on the market as well as the land ownership. There aren't enough epople selling tax certs on the AH for everyone to buy them that way and credit prices are pretty sky high right now so making them with your own labor and mats seems more worth it than spending gold.

Doubling the price is not high enough as a double labor with beds, pots and so on would still make them too cheap needs to be Quad min IMO.

Also I left official servers 2 years ago for this exact problem and so did 90% of others. If this is not fixed there will be no new players that will stay and then the server dies.

Moderation consulted Admins on this matter.
Sparkle replied:"We are also thinking on some temporary help with the land for new players. This idea is still in the workshop though, so to early to share it on public."

There are solutions on the way, even before 3.0, which is in about 2 months from now.
They have been burdened by shaping several events for release from the grounds up, but as soon as that is finished, this issue will be adressed.

In fairness, I have noticed a lot of land up for sale. So there is land to be had, maybe not in prime areas but, everyone needs to start somewhere.

Possible solution:

Make a maximum of land ownership Per account it does not matter what kind of property. This will help spread land ownership and will force players to decide what kind of property they want, which hopefully fit their playstyle (farmer, crafter etc) since are not allowed to have more then 1 account on this server that should make a lot more land available and now wasted as is the case now.

When I started less then a month ago I was able to place a 8x8 and then we had to save up and put all our guildies gold together to start buying land (16x16 and up). Working of that land to make a profit we bought more and rinse and repeat the process. We now own a fair few properties so it is possible to obtain land but it takes time and effort. And some insane prices from sellers.

Kind regards.

Wrench

I have a much easier and probably better fix to this whole problem. Just quadruple the cost of the labor for certs. This will make it on par with way the game was designed without changing anything for all other aspects of the game. As a new player I am totally finding it impossible to find land and if people are doing what your saying then this is the best fix that I can think of. It will greatly limit how much land someone can keep.

No it wont. This late, with people quitting the game and giving their accounts away you know people out there have access to multiple labor pools. Not the majority of people, but its naive to think there arent plenty who do. The only way to keep it legit with everyone being free super double x premium is to attach a money value to tax certs.

In fairness, I have noticed a lot of land up for sale. So there is land to be had, maybe not in prime areas but, everyone needs to start somewhere.

We have consulted admins on this and advised them with few ideas, and they have read the posts on forum confirming they will do something related to the lack of land for new players, and or land prices.

Am not yet at liberty to disclose possible solutions, but i think they are on the right track :)

I don't really understand the problem with land there are farms going demo almost everyday if you want land go look for it I got my 16x16 week and a half after starting on this server sure its on the enemy side but hey at least no one can steal my stuff anymore.

I have 10 lands and i bought them all, 3 gazebos for 1k+ gold each, i demo one and build upgraded farmhouse, i think new players are just to lazy for look for land or to buy it, one 16x16 is selling next to my gazebo in arcum iris for 300g cheap af, everyday i see land for sale, so i dont know why new players cant find land.

I have 10 lands and i bought them all, 3 gazebos for 1k+ gold each, i demo one and build upgraded farmhouse, i think new players are just to lazy for look for land or to buy it, one 16x16 is selling next to my gazebo in arcum iris for 300g cheap af, everyday i see land for sale, so i dont know why new players cant find land.

of course you don't know why. You're not a new player in this current moment of the game. I am also not a new player, trust me is not hard to see the difficulties. Please do not say things you have no clue about, specially when its to disencourage an improvement.

Let me tell you something, you know where i start play this game? in 2013 russia version, i dind't know nothing about the game and for make things worst i dont understand nothing of russian, i took 1 month to find land, server was full aswell, i spend all day looking for land and found 3 spots i just choose the first i see then i found more two, and i think that no land is available , then i realize that im lazy to look for it and is more easy to say there is no land available. And to learn how to make gold and quests and everything in the game i had to search all about the game to learn how, i had to use google translator, if people really want they find a way to have land believe me, they are just lazy. Just for lvl up from 50 to 55 i took 1 month farming the library (original version is the way it is) because is 20x more xp, they nerfed this alot for western players, that's why i say lazy. And they already did something, i use to pay 45 taxes for my upgraded farmhouse and now is 75 taxes.

Last edited:
OK, so you've suffered the hell out of you in order to find out land. Now you can't admit people find land easier, you want them to fu$$ them up trying and if they don't do this boring task, they are lazy. Its not a big deal you might think... its just 90% of land in the hands of 20% of the players.. not that it might need some improvements, everything seems normal and fair to our new players

Again, i'm not a new player aswel, and i have 5 lands which i bought them all. But i tell you what?! If you think there is no problem in the land system, do not join the conversation, just move on or watch the topic chilled. Let the people with the problem to fight their fights for themselves.

Back