What's new

The Gear Grind?

Question:

So I just hit 52 and started noticing the massive difference between the quest/dungeon gear drops and those used by some of the more common PvP groups. With gear score having such a major influence over your ability to survive rather than individual skill/build, I was wandering, just how rough is the great grind in AA? I'm very much the type of person that will login for a few hours, find something fun to do, and then just go do it. I don't usually have a plan, I don't own any land (nor will I ever), and I pretty much just fly by the seat of my pants. I'm starting to think that my playstyle doesn't really blend with with AA's natural progression model.

The best thing you can do with your free time if you never want to own land is to kill mobs anywhere up north. Loot drops are increased so you can get decent gear just from those drops or decent money from selling them.

There is no wrong way to play, but if you want to get upwards of 4k gear score or more, attend the pug raids, do Crimson Rift, Grimghast Rift, Abyssal Attack, Mistmerrow, Halcy, Ocleera Rift, etc.. You'll get Honor for gems and Warriors Medals for instruments and accessories.

For you, being a more casual player it seems, I would recommend looking into Soulforged gear and maybe Obsidian gear. Both are obtainable enough through killing things up north. Also, join a guild that will support you and help you. Not every guild requires that you are on a strict schedule.

Use ArcheAgeDatabase to look up gear and stuff to compare.

Question:

So I just hit 52 and started noticing the massive difference between the quest/dungeon gear drops and those used by some of the more common PvP groups. With gear score having such a major influence over your ability to survive rather than individual skill/build, I was wandering, just how rough is the great grind in AA? I'm very much the type of person that will login for a few hours, find something fun to do, and then just go do it. I don't usually have a plan, I don't own any land (nor will I ever), and I pretty much just fly by the seat of my pants. I'm starting to think that my playstyle doesn't really blend with with AA's natural progression model.
This game it's like KR and old times games a A LOT i mean A LOT of grinding... if ur old enough or know about games the creator of this game created Ultima Online so u can get the picture..

This game it's like KR and old times games a A LOT i mean A LOT of grinding... if ur old enough or know about games the creator of this game created Ultima Online so u can get the picture..

Actually I do sort-of remember that it turned into a second job just trying to be competitive. Ugh...

ArcheAge is a full time investment. If your playing without paying then you can expect to work very hard to keep up with the leads.

However the unfortunate thing is, that "competetive status" is really just the top 1% of players. Due the large gap in damage and mitigation between different levels of gear, you will often find most of the "decently geared" people will simply stay away from PvP until they feel they can actually stand a chance against that 1% who like to flaunt their gear. You will find those heavily geared people in PvP zones more than anyone else because its easy for them, while undergeared people have a hard time beating them.

If you get some Unique Auroria gear you should be fine on the armor side. An obsidian weapon will be your best bet for a weapon as that is something you can get no matter how you make your money.

Ways to make money without land:
Grind mobs in Auroria
Pirate packs from Reds (or greens if that is what you prefer, however you made note of player skill so you should know that as a green pirate you are guarenteed the first hit in every engagement, and that usually can sway a fight no matter the skill if your capable of 1 shot combos)
AH flipping
Weapon and Armor Crafting (I have a public armorer in SW Lilyut if that helps you... if your on the West at least... I'm all for Easties coming over but they will probably get killed by other users of my house)

And honestly there are a lot more, but land simply helps and offers a lot of options.

Back