What's new

Rework/Buff treasure hunting

TripleDip

Hi, so I wanted to start this off with some simple ideas to be tossed around for maybe buffing treasure hunting. Treasure hunting is kind of a lost prof in the past few years due to it being exploited pretty frequently, but after recent talks with sjinderson and bouncing of some ideas I decided to make a post about it as its a prof i've always been interested in trying, but never really did due to it being more than lackluster in rewards for labor. Some of these ideas are of my own accord and thought process involving sunken treasures, treasure maps, and the rewards pertaining to them.

So we do have the sunken treasure raising which does reward a multitude of lore items, chrome sub stuff, collection breathers(on very very very rare chance) and various "loot items" in the forms of relics, treasure and the likes, but due to things like perdita statues being botted heavily and the likes a lot of it as been forced into near nonexistent content, My thoughts on mainly buffing the "loot" in terms to fall something in line close to other buffed profs that people really enjoy such as fishing, packs, and the likes, but not to the point of it being a extremely good money making method, but something worth your while exploring the massive ocean archeage has to offer. Thus making an old piece of content feel new and refreshed and not left behind by the constant odd changes live has done in the past. This can be achieved as said above, buffing the loot from sunkens and other lootable sources of underwater treasure to a more consistent rate and fundamentally a very fun activity for a lot of people (specifically also aiding other forms of gold making for people like pirates as it is ocean content and pirate faction/others should have more options to make gold). --iirc as much as it pains some people who hate pirate it alone as a faction should have ocean content available to make some kind of gold other than fishing--

Another idea Sjinderson and I bounced around was maybe adding another source of obtaining the turtlecraft totem through treasure maps as they are a really cool aspect of treasure hunting, yet is never used due to how useless it kind of is. So the thought process is maybe adding a 55 scrap or whatever we find reasonable combinable design similar to the yawl which can takes months to obtain through farming the named mobs/bosses. making treasure maps a more enticing reward to chase and spend labor on. Or even adding those tokens from malestrom as a potential reward for the lesser breather? other items can be including as loot buff as maybe archeum, rng gold box similar to a mole crate, or something creative?

if possible finding a way to buff the gold for the packs from sunkens would be a neat addition too perhaps? I was told that this is conflicting because it affects other treasure items value in terms of trying to add the prof scale to it, But moving on it would maybe be nice to see these things applied the same way that prof scaling affects fishing and commerce? If not possible it is understandable, but hopefully some of the other things I stated here can be worked on?

In my case I'm not exactly the best at exploration, but I do know of people who are and would love to see it reworked in some way to feel more rewarding for the labor and time put into it, I personally think the ocean is a HUGE piece of forgotten content in AA long history of bad decisions, but would love to see what everyone else can bring to the table idea wise!

(please if you are going to recommend something don't say perdita. We all know what happens with perdita statue's and its not really fun when bots get to steal it all)

Anyways that is my thoughts of what at least I have come up with, but would love to hear from you all too. Thank you for your time!

Would be nice to see a change like this, since Sunken Treasures are not rly worth to do with the rewards they give atm.

(please if you are going to recommend something don't say perdita. We all know what happens with perdita statue's and its not really fun when bots get to steal it all)

dw - we already got a fancy change to those in the form of furniture :3

There can be a different type of prof scale for exploration maybe? I know larceny has the boost where you get more items from purses that you open, when you hit celebrity/famed. So yes while commerce and fishing have more gold return the higher the prof, maybe with higher exploration the chance for special loot increases from chests and maps.

Special loot would be from chests:
- the 2 figurehead pieces: yellow/red larva
- collection breather pieces
- chance of the chrome sub scrap
- delphinad pottery
- perdita (for furniture \o/)

and from treasure maps:
- archeum essence (one crystal is the regular drop)
- book of auroria
- (hopefully the turtle totem scraps as suggested by Triple)

So at low prof you have a low chance to get these items, and at higher prof you'd get them more easily. Seeing as it is an utter pain atm to gain 300 pieces for the figureheads and the breather, it sounds fair. Also, it will give people a reason to raise exploration higher than 70k for crafting the golden keys... (because the 230k title is uh well very disappointing and a bad pun in comparison to other titles, so who will bother otherwise?)

--
Edit, side note: if this prof boost is added then it will also motivate people to farm treasure maps again, to use or sell. There's is a huge lack of them on the AH atm and the drops are low from big belly fish. This means a lack of book of auroria in general, which are very much needed for erenor gear. It would boost the economy, especially if the maps drop just a bit more often from big belly fish.

Last edited:
I'm not gonna say "Perditas" but if gold returns from sunken packs increased with prof it would be nice (as probably suggested previously?). Leveling exploration is no easy task and it's gotta be worth it for those who would bother doing so.

There's been a nerf on treasure hunting maps, if those get rebuffed from where they originally dropped, or added as loot from sunken chests it would be much appreciated. Those maps are almost extinct.

Another idea is, besides the Chrome Steamfish Submarine, there's also the Copper/Onyx versions. I was told the Copper was available in the game only once from an event (I've not seen it personally), and we've never had the Onyx submarine ever. My suggestion is as such:
Turn the chrome submarine scrap into a global crafting material. For the same amount of scraps, you can now have a "Submarine Design", then use that design to craft your choice of a submarine, Onyx/Chrome/Copper. Kinda like that "Rampager Design" from the custom gilda npcs.

Onyx Sub
Copper Sub

While we're on the subject of diving, and on a side note, could we please have brighter/more stable lighting from the diving helmets? Like rampager level of bright?

I'd like to see a chance to find the Quire Tools from the treasure chests, along with the journals, since they are so insanely rare from Explorer Bags. (I've opened Explorer Bags every week for months without finding a single quire tool.)

QuireTools.png

I'm not gonna say "Perditas" but if gold returns from sunken packs increased with prof it would be nice (as probably suggested previously?). Leveling exploration is no easy task and it's gotta be worth it for those who would bother doing so.

There's been a nerf on treasure hunting maps, if those get rebuffed from where they originally dropped, or added as loot from sunken chests it would be much appreciated. Those maps are almost extinct.

Another idea is, besides the Chrome Steamfish Submarine, there's also the Copper/Onyx versions. I was told the Copper was available in the game only once from an event (I've not seen it personally), and we've never had the Onyx submarine ever. My suggestion is as such:
Turn the chrome submarine scrap into a global crafting material. For the same amount of scraps, you can now have a "Submarine Design", then use that design to craft your choice of a submarine, Onyx/Chrome/Copper. Kinda like that "Rampager Design" from the custom gilda npcs.

Onyx Sub
Copper Sub

While we're on the subject of diving, and on a side note, could we please have brighter/more stable lighting from the diving helmets? Like rampager level of bright?
So I thought of sunken packs. But I was kinda more focused on the loot just from chests as I think sunken packs couldn't scale properly due to it breaking other things. So was seeing what other gold options existed.

I'd like to see a chance to find the Quire Tools from the treasure chests, along with the journals, since they are so insanely rare from Explorer Bags. (I've opened Explorer Bags every week for months without finding a single quire tool.)

View attachment 15719

Good idea, cuz not only are they rare drop from the bags, bags are also kinda rare in itself and have a vague spawn I think?

Okay so @Ignisera and I have been brainstorming.

We suggest a special type of sunken chest that has a chance to spawn in place of a regular chest.

It would only be accessible if you have found all the exploration spots in the entirety of Erenor, as it would require you to wear the title "Great Cartographer" -> both the name and the effect.

Loot for this special chest would be one of the following:
- collection breather piece
- turtlecraft totem piece (from Triple's suggestion above)
- journal quire (alecto, rudal, iyor) (higher chance than from regular chest)
- book of auroria
- (maybe a mirage capsule?)
- one bound item (to be determined) of which 2-4 are required to craft packs that yield high gold (Soothsayer's idea below)
- treasure map (rare, arcane, or heroic)

Edit: also, it would give 2 extra points for the treasure hunt quest.

Last edited:

We suggest a special type of sunken chest that has a chance to spawn in place of a regular chest.

It would only be accessible if you have found all the exploration spots in the entirety of Erenor, as it would require you to wear the title "Great Cartographer" -> both the name and the effect.

Loot for this special chest would be one of the following:
- collection breather piece
- turtlecraft totem piece (from Triple's suggestion)
- journal quire (alecto, rudal, iyor) (higher chance than from regular chest)
- book of auroria
- (maybe a mirage capsule?)

Edit: also, it would give 2 extra points for the treasure hunt quest.
This wouldn't be bad since it could majorly prevent bots from becoming an issue, but also would require the the exploration achievements

So I thought of sunken packs. But I was kinda more focused on the loot just from chests as I think sunken packs couldn't scale properly due to it breaking other things. So was seeing what other gold options existed.

I was thinking of having more incentive to do sunkens at all. Some packs get locked behind prof so, what if those packs got a little more buffed in terms of gold? Or perhaps gold increase from packs can be locked behind the "Great Cartographer" achievement too? Admins should know better about what to do with this tbh since they know wats possible and wats not =/.

Like you said tho, it shouldn't get as good as commerce/fishing/larceny in terms of gold.

To attempt to avoid the perdita problem I would suggest that if changes were to be made perhaps the chests themselves could often drop a series of bound mats required to create a specific pack that would then have to be run out to freed or ds from mainland for example. The packs would have rather high gold yield for what they are but this would be another hurdle for a bot to have to navigate. Also locking set pack behind another proficiency wall that is not exploration would also not be a bad idea.

ooo interesting!

So you mean a type of item similar that drops from shadow world bosses and the CR/GR bosses? And then maybe require 2-4 of them to create one pack to be delivered at the shadow merchant?
Edit: how about a commerce requirement to craft them?

I'll add it to my list to drop from the special chest!

I
To attempt to avoid the perdita problem I would suggest that if changes were to be made perhaps the chests themselves could often drop a series of bound mats required to create a specific pack that would then have to be run out to freed or ds from mainland for example. The packs would have rather high gold yield for what they are but this would be another hurdle for a bot to have to navigate. Also locking set pack behind another proficiency wall that is not exploration would also not be a bad idea.
honestly that idea is pretty good too, it makes it a lot harder for bots to ya know, bot

There is a problem with this idea.
To do this the pack crafted would have to be a relic pack. Which means it would use the same relic merchants to turn in the pack.
There isn't a way to just cut out all the npcs bar the one in diamond shores to where it could be sold at.

What if it had a chance to spawn after raising and looting the regular chest? Not sure if this can be done technically, but I'm thinking of mechanics similar to how the So Basalty nodes have a chance to spawn after mining a regular node, that way it's not a waste for people who don't have the Great Cartographer title, it's just a bonus for people who do (and it couldn't be detected by bots since it wouldn't even appear until the regular chest was looted).

I would like to see drop from the sunken treasure chests and i know some of these things were mentioned already:

keys (gold. silver, copper) for opening chests from shadow bosses
archeum
book of Auroria
small labor pots
Hiram scrolls or essences
Superior glow lunarite
breather collection pieces
treasure maps

Back