What's new

Discussion: Allow characters to start doing tradeskills at 30.

Dread1313

/title
/discuss

(Disclaimer: I realize this policy is in place to combat bots, and I 100% respect that. However is it possible to allow people who have donated or something - people who have fully proven they are not a bot to allow characters to start tradeskilling at 30?)

For the "why", well there are many reasons. I have a few alt characters on my account and id like to spec into just the few tradeskills we have if need be. If we only allow players at level 52+ to begin tradeskilling, then it makes no sense to have other characters to have to level to 52+ "just to tradeskill".

The biggest headache for me though is how on every character I have to wait till 52 to be able to progress further into blue salt brotherhood without having to abuse mailing quest items back and forth between other characters.

(Second disclaimer: I have several guys 45+ stuck in the blue salt quest until I level them. My question is, "why"?)

Sorry if this post breaks any rule, I am not aware of a post like this being prohibited or against a ToS. If it is against the rules I apologize and I ask this thread to be deleted.

What's the payoff? Why bother? It takes such little time to level from 30 to 52 that it just isn't worth the effort of changing the system, and there's no legitimate reason to keep a character low level.

No the system is setup that it cares only for the character level.
There isn't a way to make someone who's donated or has other level 52 characters able to bypass it.

That being said the level restriction is not only for bots. That is simply a part of it

Like Vapewave said, reaching level 52 from 30 takes little time at all. There's no point to having trade functions available at level 30. Put in the what, hour or two, of effort to get to 52.

The labor 'level restriction' is what stops me coming back to ArcheRage. This is something (in my opinion) where the official server beats ArcheRage.

In the official servers, level 1 characters can use labor right out of the gate, so they can start gathering plants in the wild, mining, chopping trees......and basically start earning some gold right from the very start. It takes the pressure off and people can just take their time and enjoy playing the game at their own pace.

As for everything else, ArcheRage blows the official server out of the water. But that restriction on labor use is a really, really big deal breaker for me.

I know this restriction was implemented to stop bots, but surely the days of bots are long over. Maybe it's time to rethink this restriction.

I would prefer to even only use labor at Ancestry Rank 7, then to have the server over flooding with bots (no the days of them being in a server where people DO buy a LOT of gold is not over :p ), thank you very much, you can max level in hours if you do the quests so this "restriction" excuse doesn't fly lol.

The labor 'level restriction' is what stops me coming back to ArcheRage. This is something (in my opinion) where the official server beats ArcheRage.

In the official servers, level 1 characters can use labor right out of the gate, so they can start gathering plants in the wild, mining, chopping trees......and basically start earning some gold right from the very start. It takes the pressure off and people can just take their time and enjoy playing the game at their own pace.

As for everything else, ArcheRage blows the official server out of the water. But that restriction on labor use is a really, really big deal breaker for me.

I know this restriction was implemented to stop bots, but surely the days of bots are long over. Maybe it's time to rethink this restriction.

1 day of levelling and then... you're done that's it you can enjoy the game as you like however you like again... small price to pay....

Getting tired of seeing this same complaint about "pressure" and "huge huge dealbreaker" complaint about the level restriction to use labor...
You keep saying things here and elsewhere on the forums like "it takes pressure off ppl and you can play at your own pace" but what pressure is there??????
Step 1. Get to level 52, which occurs VERY QUICKLY on this server
Step 2. Continue as normal - doing wild trees/plants/mining nodes or whatever.
No one said you had to get straight into doing gear or PVP, doing packs, blah blah blah or anything after you got to level 52. Do whatever you want.
Only that you needed to get there in the first place... which has NO PRESSURE associated with it at all..
Like there is a barrier but it is very small...
You can level at your own pace and if you really really wanted to level in 1 day you could and even then it is NOT HARD AT ALL....
there are so many workarounds to levelling outside of just "questing"
For example, the fact that even under-leveled chars can still use labor to AFK-Fish and use Cow Pens is not secret...
Combined with the XP boost pots given to every new character you can get there very very very quickly - less than 1-2 days ! and you don't even have to be actively playing!
So,,, pressure to level quickly??? non-existent.

And of course brushing off the calamity that bots could bring is so easy when right now we have few bots thanks to the efforts of the Devs team
So of course it SEEMS like there is no botting going on
but I tell you once you give ppl the ability to do so easily it will happen.

--------------

The one thing I like from this whole thread is this:

Maybe if you have a max level character on account then any new characters you make can tradeskill right away?

That if you have 1 fully levelled character that you would be able to use labor on your other chars in the account.
Sadly this was apparently "not possible" :\\\\\\\\\

So you refuse to play here even though you say it beats live in 99% of aspects, because you need to play for 4hrs before being allowed to use labor ?

You do earn gold right of the bat regardless. And far more than harvesting wild crops while roaming around. In 1hr you are done with green quests and have 60 gildas to sell. I don't see how you beat that by harvesting random stuff and sell it for a few silver on the ah.

If you do your racial quests on new character (the green ones), it'll take you 1hr if you are fast to finish them until you pick those back up at cinderstone / ynystere. At that point you have received 57-60 gilda stars already that you can sell as designs.

So you refuse to play here even though you say it beats live in 99% of aspects, because you need to play for 4hrs before being allowed to use labor ?

You do earn gold right of the bat regardless. And far more than harvesting wild crops while roaming around. In 1hr you are done with green quests and have 60 gildas to sell. I don't see how you beat that by harvesting random stuff and sell it for a few silver on the ah.

You make a good point. I'm getting a lot of negative feedback to my posts, so I realize the problem is with me and the way I play.

Unfortunately, AAU is a train wreck, so I'm very tempted to return to ArcheRage.

But here's the problem, I'm a 'role playing carebear' who has absolutely no interest in PvP. For me, the game revolves around the Auction House and the Economy. But when I logged into the server the other day and had a look at the Auction House, the Economy seemed pretty stale (there was very little for sale on the AH and I imagine there's not much demand for anything in a server where everyone is very well established).

So if I come back, I'll need to make some big changes to the way I play. I won't be able to rely on the Auction House for my income any more. So no more 'Farmville". I'm going to have to do things like Trade Runs and Fishing to earn a living (I'm not really into combat, so Coin purses aren't really an option).

If anybody has any other ideas for earning gold as a PvE player, please share. Is there anything veteran players need that they can't really be bothered farming or gathering themselves?

Anyway, you say you can be done with green quests in an hour. This is true, I remember this, but that brings me to about level 30. In the official version, this is where I'd stop doing quests and just level up naturally, by farming and so on.

So this is where I'm really going to struggle if I can't use labor. You say I can use labor to fish when I'm under level 52. Does this include 'Fresh Water Sport Fishing' or only 'Bait Fishing'?

If it does include 'Sport Fishing' how can I make a 'Sports Fishing Lure' if I can't mine iron or craft?

For Bait Fishing, can I grow and harvest worms if I'm under level 52?

One last question, how do I craft a Fishing Rod if I'm unable to use labor?

Cheers for any advice.

You cannot sports fish
Plant and harvest compost or craft a fishing rod until level 52.

However players are more than happy to provide them

You cannot sports fish
Plant and harvest compost or craft a fishing rod until level 52.

However players are more than happy to provide them

Bummer! This is gonna make things really difficult.

Is there any chance the Dev's might consider lowering the labor requirement to 30 like the OP suggested? Surely this would still be enough to discourage bots.

No.
Again. Bots are not the only reason. Bots are just the first thing people go to or remember

No.
Again. Bots are not the only reason. Bots are just the first thing people go to or remember

I'm curious, if it's not to stop bots, then what are the other reasons for this labor restriction.

Please don't be offended, I'm not having a go at you, I'm just really curious as to why this restriction is in place. If it makes sense, then I'll shut up about it :p

So this is where I'm really going to struggle if I can't use labor. You say I can use labor to fish when I'm under level 52. Does this include 'Fresh Water Sport Fishing' or only 'Bait Fishing'?

If it does include 'Sport Fishing' how can I make a 'Sports Fishing Lure' if I can't mine iron or craft?

For Bait Fishing, can I grow and harvest worms if I'm under level 52?

One last question, how do I craft a Fishing Rod if I'm unable to use labor?

Cheers for any advice.

Ur an "active member" on this forum meaning you would have been posting a lot and actively playing AR before right.... Posts all the way from 2017 here...

Surely you have 1 fully levelled character from back then that has a bunch of leftover mats/gold and stuff to use to make/buy the stuff you need to level your new character which you can then MAIL to yourself...

I mean unless you made the mistake of deleting that character...

But here's the problem, I'm a 'role playing carebear' who has absolutely no interest in PvP. For me, the game revolves around the Auction House and the Economy. But when I logged into the server the other day and had a look at the Auction House, the Economy seemed pretty stale (there was very little for sale on the AH and I imagine there's not much demand for anything in a server where everyone is very well established).

So if I come back, I'll need to make some big changes to the way I play. I won't be able to rely on the Auction House for my income any more. So no more 'Farmville". I'm going to have to do things like Trade Runs and Fishing to earn a living (I'm not really into combat, so Coin purses aren't really an option).

If anybody has any other ideas for earning gold as a PvE player, please share. Is there anything veteran players need that they can't really be bothered farming or gathering themselves?

Yeah I agree on that. Economy is stale. I'm 10851 gearscore, free to play and have managed that by mostly flipping gear and crafting a few things. But patch 3.5 & 4.0 have killed that for me. If I was to start over today, there is no way I'd see such a fast progress in gearing as I had it in the past.

However, some items grow on demand as we get new patches and with that, support packs. So there'll always be something.

Larency is actually a great way to make money, I prefer it over packs or fishing.
Other ways of PvE, not quite sure. All require to be geared to some extent.

If you don't care about race, pick dwarf or warborn, they get a lot more exp from questing, you'll be 45 at the end of their racial questline, compared to 23 to all others.

Back