What's new

Holy Bolt is broken in 1v1 combat.

Should Holy Bolt be nerfed?

• Total voters

notion

why is holy bolt so broken??
It has very low mana cost and good damage output; it also heals the caster and allies by an equal amount and on top of that it has virtually no cooldown..

I'm not sure if you could make a more broken 1v1 ability. Arena is just crowded with healers spamming holy bolt.. why should a healer be able to destroy both dps and tank classes by simply spamming one ability.. it makes no sense. Unless you are able to both CC and DPS burn a healer down from full health in one combo rotation you will inevitably lose the battle.. its completely ridiculous in my opinion. can we please fix this?

Why should the healer be next to useless in almost any 1v1 circumstance aside from just raw tanking if not CCed?
We die to proper CC combos and actual dps

The skill should not be changed and I am not sure if it is even possible for it to be changed for a new skill as of now.

why is holy bolt so broken??
It has very low mana cost and good damage output; it also heals the caster and allies by an equal amount and on top of that it has virtually no cooldown..

I'm not sure if you could make a more broken 1v1 ability. Arena is just crowded with healers spamming holy bolt.. why should a healer be able to destroy both dps and tank classes by simply spamming one ability.. it makes no sense. Unless you are able to both CC and DPS burn a healer down from full health in one combo rotation you will inevitably lose the battle.. its completely ridiculous in my opinion. can we please fix this?

this again, well as a cleric again will give you the pointers.

1.) If the cleric have higher GS than you, well you never gonna win unless the dude get in AFK but this is true against any class.
2.) You need hands and 2 working neurons to beat clerics now.(will expand after 3)
3.) If you use plate and haven't taken the proper magic defense previsions you are dead.

Beat an equally geared cleric(and other vitalism classes) is extremely easy if you just stop spamming skills and actually think what you are doing.

1.) Holy bolt is easy avoidable if you time your CC right, instead of going F1-F9 and then come here to whine because you are handless you need to focus on casting interruption(most trees will give you at least 1 skill for this), hence try something like this:

Interrupt cast -> high dmg CC -> Interrupt Cast -> High DMG CC ad infinitum.

for cast interruption, you have stuns, trips, bubbles, etc.etc.etc. use them.

2.) Fervent Healing the time you see the first heart you must interrupt the cast, this will stop and set back to reuse most healer best heal.

3.) Antithesis, simply memorize the movement so you can stay on the lookout for it since it has a long cast animation and again interrupt the casting.

4.) Teleport(in case of auramancy able healers), simply keep a close enough eye for the reuse timer, that way you can time your own teleport like skill(depend on the trees you have) and avoid getting the healer escaping and healing while you are out of range.

I can tell you the first 3.0 days I was a beast but this day any decent DPS can kill me in 20sec tops, I get specially screwed by SkullKnight, Memerunners and Primevals also I'm having a very hard time against Abolishers as well(as long as it have hands).

Again, and lets be clear here, IF YOU LET THE HEALER CAST HEALS YOU ARE DEAD AND YES CASTING INTERRUPTION IS A THING NOT AN URBAN LEGEND <- I guess this is mostly related this server is 90% close range warriors and archers but boi if we get a close 50/50% mage/warrior ratio the amount of salt on this forums will be surreal

if you can't burst down a healer in one rotation before he/she can fervent heal you pretty much lose the fight. so to discourage these cheesiness, time the arena out. run around for 6 mins x 3 rounds. that's 18 mins of wasted time that he/she could be cheesing someone else with. they're like those indian IRS/Windows support scammers, waste their time so they get discouraged que'ing. and if they queue again big deal waste 18 mins of their life you lose nothing but time :)

Last edited:

1.) If the cleric have higher GS than you, well you never gonna win unless the dude get in AFK but this is true against any class.
2.) You need hands and 2 working neurons to beat clerics now.(will expand after 3)
3.) If you use plate and haven't taken the proper magic defense previsions you are dead.

Beat an equally geared cleric(and other vitalism classes) is extremely easy if you just stop spamming skills and actually think what you are doing.

1.) Holy bolt is easy avoidable if you time your CC right, instead of going F1-F9 and then come here to whine because you are handless you need to focus on casting interruption(most trees will give you at least 1 skill for this), hence try something like this:

2.) Fervent Healing the time you see the first heart you must interrupt the cast, this will stop and set back to reuse most healer best heal.

3.) Antithesis, simply memorize the movement so you can stay on the lookout for it since it has a long cast animation and again interrupt the casting.

4.) Teleport(in case of auramancy able healers), simply keep a close enough eye for the reuse timer, that way you can time your own teleport like skill(depend on the trees you have) and avoid getting the healer escaping and healing while you are out of range.

I can tell you the first 3.0 days I was a beast but this day any decent DPS can kill me in 20sec tops, I get specially screwed by SkullKnight, Memerunners and Primevals also I'm having a very hard time against Abolishers as well(as long as it have hands).

Again, and lets be clear here, IF YOU LET THE HEALER CAST HEALS YOU ARE DEAD AND YES CASTING INTERRUPTION IS A THING NOT AN URBAN LEGEND <- I guess this is mostly related this server is 90% close range warriors and archers but boi if we get a close 50/50% mage/warrior ratio the amount of salt on this forums will be surreal

Look if you take an healer and put it up and against any class that has similar gs the cleric will win 90% of the time regardless of if you interrupt him and cc and keep dps burn up. healers gain access to stun and trip immunities and often cant even be CCed most the time and if the healer has just a moment they can heal completely to full health.. like i said unless you are able to keep a healer CCed and dps burn them from full health in one rotation of abilites they will inevitably out dps and out heal you. simply interrupting holy bolt doesn't really help because it has virtually no cooldown.. so they'll just resume spamming the ability.

also your ad hominem comments about having brain cells or having 2 hands... why don't you stay on topic instead of making pointless and useless statements like that.. i was just pointing out the imbalance in the game. Oh and it was nerfed in later versions of the actual game so I clearly ruffled your healer feathers by the sound of your post.

Why should the healer be next to useless in almost any 1v1 circumstance aside from just raw tanking if not CCed?
We die to proper CC combos and actual dps

In most mmos Healers are part of a triad, Healers can defeat tanks, Tanks can defeat Dps, and Dps can defeat Healers. as of now the healer will win in most 1v1 situations regardless.

Look if you take an healer and put it up and against any class that has similar gs the cleric will win 90% of the time regardless of if you interrupt him and cc and keep dps burn up. healers gain access to stun and trip immunities and often cant even be CCed most the time and if the healer has just a moment they can heal completely to full health.. like i said unless you are able to keep a healer CCed and dps burn them from full health in one rotation of abilites they will inevitably out dps and out heal you. simply interrupting holy bolt doesn't really help because it has virtually no cooldown.. so they'll just resume spamming the ability.

also your ad hominem comments about having brain cells or having 2 hands... why don't you stay on topic instead of making pointless and useless statements like that.. i was just pointing out the imbalance in the game. Oh and it was nerfed in later versions of the actual game so I clearly ruffled your healer feathers by the sound of your post.

Again, I'm actually a cleric and as stated I barely win on arenas this days, of course I still get the occasional handless Memerunner that doesn't understand how their CC works and try out DPS me and get killed but most DPS I fight against can trounce me in less than a minute easily or tops 2m in case I get lucky with a failed trip/stun and lately whenever I see a paladin/abolisher I just don't fight anymore because I can tolerate the never ending 21m of pain.

Is not actually useless statements, many DPS are used to spam certain combinations and forget to understand the mechanics which is usually known as handless and in this server is particularly true, even in mass PVP and Doms I always get horrified how I survived the whole fight without having to heal myself because not one DPS had the genius thought of hey let kill the healer first. Of course you have good PVP guilds(like Spatz. egirl, zfz, etc.) that the first thing they do is kill supports and usually wins(shocker right).

Also, here is another point, you are very wrong about something here, holy bolt wasn't nerfed at official because was OP but was adjusted due to introduction of ancestral skills and erenor and was not the only skill affected neither was vitalism the only adjusted tree and most the complaints from holy bolt introduction weren't about most healer but about uber whales with insane gear score trouncing everyone on FFA, specially 3vs3+ because the problem was the area heal when your spirit/heal power goes too high(no healer on this server is close to those whales GS yet tho) and this problem was always about mages as well(probably official archives rant about mages is bigger than all other posts in the entire forum combined)

Also, im just saying, we are playing in a server where 90% of the players are DR or other melee DPS but only you and other handless DPS have posted here about this "grave" issue? if healers were owning everyone on 1vs1+ I think the salt in the forums would be much much bigger, I will see it on faction chat as well(to be honest, the first couple of days it happened a bit), right? So, if only couple of guys are complaining and maybe some here and there are asking in faction about this, have you considered that maybe you are doing something wrong and instead of whining because you(as the minority) cannot win go and practice or find about what other do that can actually win instead? just saying.

About holy bolt I don't actually care if they remove it entirely from the game, this server already gives 2x honor and I never use it outside few arena matches and the moment I picked up a support class I was very aware PVP kills wasn't going to be my thing, so its meeeh for me but I just hate people that whines about everything without even to try to understand the mechanics because they are lazy.

if you are nuian try to PM some Hydra/Big dmg DPS to get some pointers, since day 1 I haven't been able to kill 1 of them in arena. if you are from haranya try egirl or Spatz DPS those dudes are tough as balls as well, again 0 kills since day 1

Again, I'm actually a cleric and as stated I barely win on arenas this days, of course I still get the occasional handless Memerunner that doesn't understand how their CC works and try out DPS me and get killed but most DPS I fight against can trounce me in less than a minute easily or tops 2m in case I get lucky with a failed trip/stun and lately whenever I see a paladin/abolisher I just don't fight anymore because I can tolerate the never ending 21m of pain.

Is not actually useless statements, many DPS are used to spam certain combinations and forget to understand the mechanics which is usually known as handless and in this server is particularly true, even in mass PVP and Doms I always get horrified how I survived the whole fight without having to heal myself because not one DPS had the genius thought of hey let kill the healer first. Of course you have good PVP guilds(like Spatz. egirl, zfz, etc.) that the first thing they do is kill supports and usually wins(shocker right).

Also, here is another point, you are very wrong about something here, holy bolt wasn't nerfed at official because was OP but was adjusted due to introduction of ancestral skills and erenor and was not the only skill affected neither was vitalism the only adjusted tree and most the complaints from holy bolt introduction weren't about most healer but about uber whales with insane gear score trouncing everyone on FFA, specially 3vs3+ because the problem was the area heal when your spirit/heal power goes too high(no healer on this server is close to those whales GS yet tho) and this problem was always about mages as well(probably official archives rant about mages is bigger than all other posts in the entire forum combined)

Also, im just saying, we are playing in a server where 90% of the players are DR or other melee DPS but only you and other handless DPS have posted here about this "grave" issue? if healers were owning everyone on 1vs1+ I think the salt in the forums would be much much bigger, I will see it on faction chat as well(to be honest, the first couple of days it happened a bit), right? So, if only couple of guys are complaining and maybe some here and there are asking in faction about this, have you considered that maybe you are doing something wrong and instead of whining because you(as the minority) cannot win go and practice or find about what other do that can actually win instead? just saying.

About holy bolt I don't actually care if they remove it entirely from the game, this server already gives 2x honor and I never use it outside few arena matches and the moment I picked up a support class I was very aware PVP kills wasn't going to be my thing, so its meeeh for me but I just hate people that whines about everything without even to try to understand the mechanics because they are lazy.

if you are nuian try to PM some Hydra/Big dmg DPS to get some pointers, since day 1 I haven't been able to kill 1 of them in arena. if you are from haranya try egirl or Spatz DPS those dudes are tough as balls as well, again 0 kills since day 1

You stating that I'm whining for two paragraphs in this and other posts is getting pretty old because your wasting your "2 neurons and 2 hands" attacking me rather then making interesting commentary on the topic. Don't assume I'm lazy or that i don't practice; its not a good look if you just demean everyone to talk to you know; it just doesn't make for good discussion. where are you quoting " grave" issue from because its not from my post. I'm merely posting in a section called game debate so lay off the ad hominem bullshit that clutter your posts.

Now, I would agree if your 6.7k or 7k+ darkrunner with a legendary T6-7 2-hander your probably able to burn a healer but that's not what im addressing here since theres only like 25 people on the server with those gear-scores. The 1v1 mechanics of holy bolt in the arena in a even match-up is over powered in most tiers of GS say for 6.5-7k+. This is something that I have observed and discussed with players in game and you yourself have stated that many players have raised issue with. I gave my reason for thinking what i do and you can do the same with insulting who your talking to.

Use stalkers mark or mirror light - helps a lot with healing reduction. As an argent I am able to kill healers 1v1 who outgear me in world pvp. If you have a decent weapon with either of these up they are gonna be hurting.

Everything you say is correct. BUT as a healer vs plate, you just stand there and spam holy bolt, and win, with no skill.

Your asking from plate/shield classes such as Abolisher/Hexblades/Blighters, etc... to do almost perfect rotations of cc and skill chaining, and HIGH DPS (which they dont have) in order to beat a static holy bolt turret.

Just addmit that the skill is broken vs plate users and requires 0 neurons to win with. Specially in equalized arenas where plate users MDEF is 4%...

Last edited:
i agree with you about equalized arenas and i think someone should report that as a bug, i dont remember at official having this uber low mdef on sparring and yes in that particular case any mage/healer vs plate user is a sure win.

i dont agree on the FFA areans, if you go plate and expect to win with real gear score you should be aware of the items you need to keep up your mdef in the same way healers and mages have to do the same for their pdef.

Theres a few ways to counter holy bolt. Its alot less useful without the blessing. Remove/debuff the blessing and its pretty weak. Its obnoxious and strong, but not unbeatable by any means.

Scissors think that Rocks are OP too.

Everything you say is correct. BUT as a healer vs plate, you just stand there and spam holy bolt, and win, with no skill.

Your asking from plate/shield classes such as Abolisher/Hexblades/Blighters, etc... to do almost perfect rotations of cc and skill chaining, and HIGH DPS (which they dont have) in order to beat a static holy bolt turret.

Just addmit that the skill is broken vs plate users and requires 0 neurons to win with. Specially in equalized arenas where plate users MDEF is 4%...
It isn't broken against plate wearers. If you want to cry that you're in plate and dying to a magic skill, go ahead. But don't claim a skill is broken because of it.

Its like a cloth wearer saying PStrike is broken because it can basically one shot you. Stat your armor correctly and you will have a much better time. The same way you wear your plate armor and take almost no damage from melee classes.

It isn't broken against plate wearers. If you want to cry that you're in plate and dying to a magic skill, go ahead. But don't claim a skill is broken because of it.

Its like a cloth wearer saying PStrike is broken because it can basically one shot you. Stat your armor correctly and you will have a much better time. The same way you wear your plate armor and take almost no damage from melee classes.

I will say that is it easier for a cloth wearer to mitigate physical Damage then it is for a plate wearer to mitigate Magically damage. like as a cloth wearer you get some pdef on your cloth armor as well as a magic shield ward, and if you have a shield melee attacks have to go through a block check.
Its alot easier to instantly die as a plate or leather wearer to magic attacks then it is for cloth wearers to get 1 shoted from Pstrike. ever get hit with a 30k Pstrike, probably not.. but prob gotten hit with leech to 30k dmg meteor.

I will say that is it easier for a cloth wearer to mitigate physical Damage then it is for a plate wearer to mitigate Magically damage. like as a cloth wearer you get some pdef on your cloth armor as well as a magic shield ward, and if you have a shield melee attacks have to go through a block check.
Its alot easier to instantly die as a plate or leather wearer to magic attacks then it is for cloth wearers to get 1 shoted from Pstrike. ever get hit with a 30k Pstrike, probably not.. but prob gotten hit with leech to 30k dmg meteor.

I agree with you to a certain degree, sure cloth user have it a bit easier since is true cloth give some pdef but still primeval and DR can pretty much one shot you at pleasure unless you put some love on that armor but the same is true about plate users against mages.

The point is agree the most with you is that plate end up being lot more expensive but is worth it if you have the patience to get there, for a starter you should have t4 obsidian shield(the second tree) and LUTE since both boost your mdef pretty nicely, get that chest and pants to celestial at least and fill those sockets with resilience and toughness(this apply to any class tho) including the lunafrosts(or gems, the one which are 1 per piece) then get a lot of perfect something lunastones for mdef(this is where it can get very expensive)/magic dmg/shield block rate(or parry but is debatable, as templar I always preferred shield over parry) reduction and always have a nice supply of pots.

I agree is hard when you start as a plate user but certain classes when they reach certain gs with plate are absolute monsters, I know from experience you simply don't PVP a proper dressed plate Templar you have to RAID it, sure it may not be a great party healer but damn its survivability is absolutely insane on end game(damn I miss my templar days, clerics are squishy)

But now you're no longer talking about Holy Bolt. Have you ever been hit by Holy Bolt for 30k?

Have you ever been hit by a Holy Bolt for 10k?

You want to argue apples to apples sure, but don't bring in oranges to explain why apples should be changed...

But now you're no longer talking about Holy Bolt. Have you ever been hit by Holy Bolt for 30k?

You want to argue apples to apples sure, but don't bring in oranges to explain why apples should be changed...

I only brought up Cloth against Pstrike because someone mentioned in the post i quoted; chill out

Holy bolt can hit for 30k?? tell me how this is possible please

I constantly 1v1 a few dr's to practice and i cant win them no matter how good i try. They can always interrupt me, chain cc me and sometimes they sidestep most of my ccs by playing correctly. Dont expect to kill anyone just spamming skills. Its really not that hard to kill a healer if you're playing in a meta class

Back