What's new

Lunagem question/debate

@Sparkle

I've noticed that gems for 1h/2h, at least in the crit damage region, for the most part have the same stats, magic and melee crit on 1h is 4% and 5% on 2h which isnt much difference, and i couldn't find any 2h ranged to base any info off of, but if you have 2h mythic you end up with 40% crit damage on your weapon, and if you have 1h you get 32% in each at same grade ending up at 64% or 24% more on 1h dual wield at same grade, i realize most people stop at epic on their offhand but that only decreases the gem slot by 1 still leaving a 20% gap from 2h to 1h dual wield.

I was wondering why this is and if we should raise the 2h lunagem stats to at least balance it out from 1h to 2h, i don't know if there is a specific reason why they are very close to the same, so if my thinking is wrong then let me know, but i would suggest a balance in percentages bringing up the base percentage of the 2h gems, cause going 2h shouldn't reduce your late game output since most people sacrifice a lot of survive-ability going 2h for that damage increase. again if there is a real reason for this and im just dumb let me know please.

also as a side note why does the GS of a 2h weapon not equal that of two 1h same grade not that this matters just a curiosity thing

2 handers have a much higher attack than a duel wield user can achieve.
The crit damage is to make it a less of a gap but 2 handers will always hit considerably harder.

Argh this debate again over "inequality" regarding 2h/dw.

If you haven't realized yet that the 2h buff is absolutely massive and makes a tremendous difference in dps then that is on you.

What 1h-weapon gives you even remotely the amount of crit dmg a 2h-obsidian T7 does ?
The greatswords/nodachi's alone give you 21% at legendary. That is without any gems. Now add 7*5% it is another 35% ending up at 56%.
Nobody runs an obsidian sword as main-hand (basically the only viable crit dmg passive weapon), since the shortspear proc is so strong.
Meaning you get 0% from your main-hand, 10.5% from a legendary T7 sword, + 2*(7*4) ending up at 66.5%.

If anything, DW should be buffed because the 2h buff gives you ridiculous defense penetration.
Not only that but 2handers at legendary have at least 150 more raw dps and give you additional +5% from the buff (which translates to a fuck ton if you have +1200 melee damage).

Taken from another thread:

It infuriates me how people can think that 2h melee is weak. You should go play something that isn't battlerage and then you can come complain about too little damage.
Sorry for the rant.

Edit: math was off.

Last edited:
@Drothroco not true a dual weild same grade at least as far as magic is concerned is only 36 Magic attack less than a staff, didnt check melee
(edit) thats considering a mythic t7 scepter and mythic t7 mage dagger, if they only had an epic dager it would be 60 difference in MA still not much

@trapwhre02 alright that covers the melee side of my question now what about the magic, as that is what i am and thats what brought this to my concern staffs dont have that built in magic crit damage, you either get magic defence pen or magic defence pen T7 and even so its 606 vs a scepter at 432 which also gets 8% gods whip damage
(second edit) also im not sure as ive never played battlerage but couldnt you equip two 1h swords that give exactly half of the 2h melee crit damage same grade?

Last edited:
Ah fair enough. I hadn't considered mages.
Yes you can equip 2 swords but it's rather pointless because you'll lose a -10K pdef weapon proc.

I don't play mage myself but Imadopted regularly contests west with his people and his damage with a staff is insane if you ask me. Keep in mind most people have shield swaps for melee but I don't think that many run around with mdef shields.

Mages can 2 tap you with chain + arc and you don't have to be crazily geared for that. I believe if certain classes need to be buffed, it shouldn't be the crit dmg that's getting buffed because that will simply make the class very crit dependant and makes it's damage pure RNG.

I hit a mob in whalesong with toxic shot and endless arrows. Took me a second when everything critted and it died. Same buffs same rotation, without crits I was firing endles arrows for 4-5s until it died with barely a single crit. It's a very frustrating playstyle when you rely so heavily on crits.

I'd much rather see an increase in raw attack.

@trapwhre02 an increase in the base magic attack would move the gap for sure, i just wouldnt know how much would actually account for that gemmed damage difference of 24% crit damage on mage

and yeah i still hit pleanty hard, im just saying that at the end of the day the dual weild mages just seem like they get overall more with gems/passives and little to no difference in MA, also think they have better survive-ability somewhere in there, cause i get made fun of for staff mage raw damage all the time, but its cause you get the same damage dual wield and i dont think it should be that way

and yeah i still hit pleanty hard, im just saying that at the end of the day the dual weild mages just seem like they get overall more with gems/passives and little to no difference in MA

Then why do I always see the most stronk mages running staff instead of dual wield o.o

Please @Sparkle Notice me, i feel like theres a major issue here, im not the only staff mage that has noticed the difference, other people with legendaries and mythics are already switching to scepter because of the imbalance in power

Please @Sparkle Notice me, i feel like theres a major issue here, im not the only staff mage that has noticed the difference, other people with legendaries and mythics are already switching to scepter because of the imbalance in power
Lost cause brother, she will just say switch to 1h like she told us a while ago. I was a staff mage and brought this up when 4.0 was released. She simply said craft a 1h lol

@Frontbutt

that makes me sad inside, cause it gets rid of the diversity, or at least what little diversity we do have, and none of us should have to replace our staves just because they refuse to balance out an issue, like I got my staff like 2 weeks after 3.5 and had been trying for most of 3.0 just for it to be obsolete in 4.0 because something was overlooked in the 4.0 patch by trion, this server is smarter than that and should be able to balance some stuff out at least a little bit

@Frontbutt

that makes me sad inside, cause it gets rid of the diversity, or at least what little diversity we do have, and none of us should have to replace our staves just because they refuse to balance out an issue, like I got my staff like 2 weeks after 3.5 and had been trying for most of 3.0 just for it to be obsolete in 4.0 because something was overlooked in the 4.0 patch by trion, this server is smarter than that and should be able to balance some stuff out at least a little bit
Every patch of the game releases adjusts skills, scalings or something else combat related.
We don't do custom changes to skills or game balance because of that every patch it would just be undone.
Not just this but game balance is its own endless pit of something is always better than the other. People won't be happy and so it is much better to leave the balance changes to Xl.

Back